Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hit $50,000 in lifetime redemptions!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

I hit $50,000 in lifetime redemptions!

I know my friends here will appreciate this even if most of my real world friends don't. Allow me to celebrate my victory if you will. I've kept track of my redemptions since day 1. A few bookings the other day took me over $50,000 in points redemptions. When you put that in context it is probably $80,000 in pre-tax earnings had I paid cash. Wow! I joined the hobby with my first credit card app in January 2013. I know many people on here greatly exceed that but it was an accomplishment for me that I was very happy with.

Favorite redemption: 7 nights at the Hyatt at Park City, combined with southwest flights in February. Great ski trip, and great value (about $4,800) that time of year. 100% free except food and lift tickets. I love hyatt and WN for their ease of points bookings.

Other notable redemptions: 10 nights at the Radisson Martinique in NYC, a two week Netherlands/Switzerland trip with about 8 free hotel nights & biz class flights, a 5 night biz class trip to Ireland booked 6 days before departure, and a southwest companion pass that probably got used 5-6 times.

Current Balance: 1.6M points (my company has me earning 40k points/month on autopilot with Chase Ink).

Credit Apps: My wife and I only had 4 credit apps total the past year, no need for more with such a big balance. In the first year span though I got 13 cards and my wife got 8.

Value Used to get to $50k: I use the cash cost at the time of booking with a CAP of $1,200 one way on a Biz/F flight as I would never pay more than that. Interestingly lumping all my points together from all programs I've redeemed 2.35M points which puts my average point value redemption at $.021. Much higher than I would've guessed especially considering 606k were CC points.

Best repeat value: I fly United to Jackson Hole a lot, which has to be one of the most expensive airports to fly into in the country. Round Trip tickets are routinely $900-$1,200 cash from Harrisburg (my home base). If I work at it, I can usually get United's bottom tier ticket for 25k points, which can be as much as $.05/point value in economy.

Most underrated card: I bought the bullet and got Chase's United Club card. If you fly free all the time you don't earn status. I love the premier access, free bags, club access, etc... that you don't get with a free economy ticket and no status. Plus 1.5 miles/dollar helps too. For my wife and I that's an extra 40-50k/year.

How I got in the hobby: Citi offered 50k points for some card, don't remember which, and you could redeem for $500 in gift cards. I didn't believe it but I tried it and it worked! Thank you Citi!! Terrible redemption but great stepping stone.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Nice post. I'm earning and burning points but have not tracked their "real" worth. Great to hear how someone is using this hobby to enjoy life and do things that would not have been possible otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.