Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cow Do XI (EZE) - Sep 04 to Sep 07th, 2015

Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Signed in members with 90 days and 90 posts can edit this wikipost.

List of FTers interested / confirmed - updated as of March 10, 2015:

Interested: 15

Austin787
DLroads
JDiver
msvacation
Marambio
pbjag
penegal
Ysolde + 1
Paul + 1
RafKa
Tuchop
Viajero Millero

Confirmed: 17
will1408
Calchas: Intercontinental 03 Sept to 08 Sept. Everything but the Monday tasting.
centxwx
rbAA AA 953 Sat 9:43am; Park Hyatt; AA954 Tues 9:30pm NOTE: see post 256 for the Sunday dinner options
iolairemcfadden + 1 (Susan); Hotel Impala/Sissi Haz Hotel Boutique; 10 AM Fri - 9 PM Tues, (all except iolaire will miss welcome lunch)
CubsGirl inbound flight tbd; Park Hyatt; in for Friday dinner and all Saturday events. Likely to go to El Establo for Sunday dinner.
FlyingCow + 1 (FlyingToro)
BDA Shorts; flying in early; apartment in Belgrano; all events + hosting SABRE demo
mad4miles + mad Jr. Arrive Friday AM, Park Hyatt, Friday dinner, Other plans of Saturday, up for Sunday dinner at El Establo
MsEverywhere + DONS999; AA909 Fri 8:18am; Plaza Hotel; AA900 Mon 8:00pm; all Fri/Sat/Mon events including SABRE
MSPeconomist Arrive Thursday morning, depart Monday night (DL through ATL), Park Hyatt, Dinner Friday, Wine tasting, lunch, and dinner Saturday, Probably dinner Sunday (depending on plans), Wine tasting Monday.
chrisphx
Gaucho100K
Print Wikipost

Cow Do XI (EZE) - Sep 04 to Sep 07th, 2015

Old May 27, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
This week someone posted on their blog that Alaska airlines has great award availability on Aeromexico via Mexico City in business class to South America. I checked and its wide open from IAD for these dates, with a six hour layover going down and 10 hours coming home. Might be worth looking at if you need tickets. 45k each way.

Is anyone interested in an out of town excursion? We would be interested in a Gaucho experience (beyond our experiences with the organizer Gaucho!) or trip to Montevideo. The Gaucho experience might make most sense since that is a shorter time commitment. (I've not yet researched the options.)
Old May 27, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What I know is that you must pay for travel stuff like tours and plane tickets in Argentina at the official (NOT BLUE, which is much much much much much better) exchange rate. For domestic flights, you cannot purchase the cheap fares, which require (and usually enforce) Argentina residency. So ads in Argentina that are directed toward Argentines would not, I assume, apply to you.

However, why do a package tour versus picking the flights you want and choosing your own hotel?

Remember that going to the Brazil side officially requires a visa in advance, price about $150 plus any visa service fees, photos, mailing costs, etc.

ADDED: This could be a good use of airline miles or credit card points for the flights and hotel points for lodging. The good place to stay on the Argentina side is a Sheraton.
Thanks I have looked at this and am talking it over with Susan.

We return on Tuesday PM and I have four hours dialysis on Monday, but looking at things I might be able to swing it. We could do AEP - IGR 13:20 - 15:10, return IGR - AEP at 14:15-16:10, then hoof it over to EZE for 9 PM flight. Sheraton is 12k with breakfast and appears to be very close to the airport and the falls.
** BUT now I'm not seeing (BA) space on Monday, I might have looked at the wrong day. Looks like its not going to be an option unless we pay for a flight.
** BUT now see DL has space on Monday that might be an option on AR.

Last edited by iolairemcfadden; May 27, 2015 at 10:34 am Reason: DL space
Old May 27, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
Is anyone interested in an out of town excursion? We would be interested in a Gaucho experience (beyond our experiences with the organizer Gaucho!) or trip to Montevideo. The Gaucho experience might make most sense since that is a shorter time commitment. (I've not yet researched the options.)
Yes!

However I cannot ride, so MVD might be more up my street
Old May 27, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes!

However I cannot ride, so MVD might be more up my street
By "Gaucho experience" I'm mostly thinking of the outdoor BBQ. I guess there might be a farm experience including houses but I had not thought of that. Susan and I might ride but its not very high on our wish list (if at all).

I guess I envision something like this:
https://www.buenostours.com/private-estancia-day-trip
But $200 USD PER PERSON seems expensive.

This $85 half day tour doesn't have the BBQ and seems like something a group could organize on their own...
http://www.getyourguide.com/buenos-a...ho-fair-t5477/
Old May 27, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By "Gaucho experience" I'm mostly thinking of the outdoor BBQ. I guess there might be a farm experience including houses but I had not thought of that. Susan and I might ride but its not very high on our wish list (if at all).
Okay I can get behind this.

200 USD is, I suppose just about acceptable; but it better be really good.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:07 pm

Okay I can get behind this.

200 USD is, I suppose just about acceptable; but it better be really good.
This one has good reviews:
http://www.estancialosdoshermanos.com/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...a.html#REVIEWS
Pricing might be similar to above $200 USD which might be too much for us.

Found on a quote from
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._District.html

Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best
Aug 08, 2013, 7:16 AM
I h ave been to 4 estancias for day trips-- Don Silvano, Santa Susana, la Cinacina, and Dos Hermanos. The first three are all " touristy" in the sense that they feature gaucho shows, Dancing, brief horseback rides, music, wine and a barbecue. At Don Silvano you can even milk a cow if the mood strikes you.

Dos Hermanos is a much different experience--- no gauchos in native garb performing tricks on horses, no music and dance, no cow to milk....just a day in the country riding horses with a break for a nice lunch under the shade of an old tree.

Both experiences are lots of fun. It depends on whether you are content with a 15 minute ride around the pasture as part of a day of food, wine and entertainment, or five hours of horseback riding without all the glitz.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This one has good reviews:
http://www.estancialosdoshermanos.com/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...a.html#REVIEWS
Pricing might be similar to above $200 USD which might be too much for us.

Found on a quote from
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._District.html

Re: Which Gaucho Ranch is best
Aug 08, 2013, 7:16 AM
I h ave been to 4 estancias for day trips-- Don Silvano, Santa Susana, la Cinacina, and Dos Hermanos. The first three are all " touristy" in the sense that they feature gaucho shows, Dancing, brief horseback rides, music, wine and a barbecue. At Don Silvano you can even milk a cow if the mood strikes you.

Dos Hermanos is a much different experience--- no gauchos in native garb performing tricks on horses, no music and dance, no cow to milk....just a day in the country riding horses with a break for a nice lunch under the shade of an old tree.

Both experiences are lots of fun. It depends on whether you are content with a 15 minute ride around the pasture as part of a day of food, wine and entertainment, or five hours of horseback riding without all the glitz.
To be clear I am not enthusiastic about 200 USD but I can pay it if it is a good option and others are happy.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Related question... is anybody here a SPG super-elite....? If so, please email or PM me as I need a little help with creating a "miracle" with an upcoming reservation. Thanks.
I am a Platinum 100, Gaucho, so I can enlist my Ambassador to help. Just email or call me.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Quite enjoyed my trip last weekend to Santiago & the Casablanca wine region.. so I am interested to see how the 'other side of the Andes' wines compete! Continuing to look for a good flight deal!
Old May 29, 2015, 10:25 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I am a Platinum 100, Gaucho, so I can enlist my Ambassador to help. Just email or call me.
Thanks !!!! I will be in touch. ^
Old May 29, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ssafro1
Quite enjoyed my trip last weekend to Santiago & the Casablanca wine region.. so I am interested to see how the 'other side of the Andes' wines compete! Continuing to look for a good flight deal!
Great News !!! In case you missed this, please read the link below (its a link to a specific post with an interesting ticket option):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24876237-post106.html
Old May 29, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
I just went to my first international DO in January over in Singapore and loved every aspect of it. I figured that would be my only DO of 2015, but this one intrigues me as well. Mark me as interested. I will follow up. I would definitely not just visit for a few days, but I would do side trips in addition to the DO as well. Getting into cooler temps for a few days will be nice as well. Thank you.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisphx
I just went to my first international DO in January over in Singapore and loved every aspect of it. I figured that would be my only DO of 2015, but this one intrigues me as well. Mark me as interested. I will follow up. I would definitely not just visit for a few days, but I would do side trips in addition to the DO as well. Getting into cooler temps for a few days will be nice as well. Thank you.
Please do come ... sometimes FlyerTalk looks like it's filled with angry and bitter keyboard warriors but actually most of us are very friendly after a pint
Old May 29, 2015, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Please do come ... sometimes FlyerTalk looks like it's filled with angry and bitter keyboard warriors but actually most of us are very friendly after a pint
Surely you meant to write "after a glass of Malbec"...???!!!!

^
Old May 29, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
I love it! Actually, this has been my experience overall at some of the domestic (U.S.) do's as well as Singapore. I just got off the phone with a friend, trying to talk her into joining as well. She is ... gasp! ... not into online stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.