Wiki Posts
Search

MCI BBQ DO X - May 1-3, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:31 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've become a big fan of Q39, a newer place over by KU Medical Center. More of a quasi-gourmet barbecue experience as opposed to a powerfeed like LC's or Bryant's. Might be one you mix in at snacktime: the chicken wings are amazing, even though wings aren't a traditional KC 'cue staple.
I like the sound of this, despite my belief than wings are not food. So I'm in for violist's reservation on Sunday.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Rousing silence here. Anyone else in for Q39 on Sunday?
Otherwise I'll reserve for two.

By the way, there's no indication that there's a brunch
(I don't do brunch).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Looking forward to having everyone in this weekend. I should be at Jack Stack about 5pm for Happy Hour. If anyone feels like joining, please let me know.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by MCI777
Looking forward to having everyone in this weekend. I should be at Jack Stack about 5pm for Happy Hour. If anyone feels like joining, please let me know.
I'll see you there. Freight House location like before?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
I'll see you there. Freight House location like before?
That is correct!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:50 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I think I'm out for Friday night but in for Saturday all day. We will be going to the Royals game Friday night
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:40 pm

I'm sorry to say that a project is running long and I won't be able to make it. See y'all next year.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:10 am
In memoriam

Hope to be at Freighthouse Square by 7, maybe earlier
depending on the happy hour policies of my hotel.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
An unfortunate last minute change in travel plans means I won't be arriving into MCI until after 9 tonight. As such, I'll miss drinks and dinner at the Freighthouse but should be able to join you all at Joe's BBQ on Saturday. See you then!
Old May 1, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: Free Agent
My friends and I will be there around 8:30pm. Will call/text Rob if we're running late.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Is anyone planning on coming down to Jack Stack for an early Happy Hour? I may push back my arrival to 530 unless someone is coming in early.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Alas, looks like I missed you all at Joe's KC BBQ. I was in the parking lot at 10:45 - and it looked like they opened early. No wonder! Lots of hungry people and some fine tastin' barbecue! I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and took a table with a copy of the KC Star. You couldn't miss me with my misshapen hump and antlers. That "Night of the Living Hot Sauce" had some good burn indeed! In any event, the place filled up very quickly and - not knowing any of you - I didn't see or hear any groups that sounded FTish (whatever that may be plus I wasn't keen on making a scene to find y'all), so I finished my sandwich and headed on out in search of a Kansas City Chiefs T-Shirt for my neighbor.

Still, I came to sample the BBQ scene here and so, having procured said t-shirt am now off to Jack Stack's over at Country Club Plaza followed by a visit to Arthur Bryant's over on Brooklyn Ave.

Hope everyone has a great weekend of BBQ here in KC and perhaps we'll cross paths at another Do. Cheers!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 20, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Old May 2, 2015, 2:13 pm
In memoriam

Seat 2A, we were at the Joe's on W 47th in Kansas City, KS
from 10:30 to almost 11:30. I scanned the line for familiar
faces periodically - I admit I don't see very well, but lili
should have noticed you if you'd been there when we were.
Sorry to miss you as well.
Old May 2, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Aaaahh, I wished I could have made it to this DO! But, unfortunately, work/personal commitments kept me from it! Hope to see you guys sometime soon!!
Old May 2, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

violist, I didn't come in until about 10:50. By then it was obvious that despite the sign on the door indicating that they didn't open until 11, they were indeed very open! There were two or three tables or combination of tables that looked to be seating groups, not to mention lots of completely filled four toppers. I was the only guy in the place with a table to myself. Maybe you were faced away from me or there's another seating area I was unaware of. No worries though! I had a great sandwich, made all that much better with liberal applications of the extra hot and spicy sauce. Later I had a great burnt ends sandwich at Jack Stack's Country Club Plaza location, washed down with two pints of very good Boulevard Pale Ale. Definitely not inexpensive though. On to the original Arthur Bryant's on Brooklyn where I'd hoped to buy a sandwich or ribs to enjoy later on the plane but when I arrived the line out the door was so long that I decided to check it out when I come back in September. So - on the Colorado ("Gateway to Kansas!") and then Seattle where I just might be available for questions and autographs at 13 Coins on Tuesday night I'll be back at work a week from today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.