Search

LEX Horse and Bourbon DO V, Oct. 3-5, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
LEX Horse and Bourbon DO V, Oct. 3-5, 2014

Announcing firm dates for the Horse and Bourbon DO V. Oct 3-5, 2014 (Fri-Sun) in LEX.

For those not familiar, here is what goes on: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-6-2014-a.html

Most people arrive Thursday or Friday, but no need to attend everything. Airfares tend to be high, but Avios can be a bargain.

Keeneland opens for the Fall meet Friday, Oct. 3. This is one of the prettiest thoroughbred tracks in the world.

We usually stay at the 4 Points on Stanton Way. SPG Cat. 2, low point requirements. There is a Fairfield Inn a couple blocks away and a Knights Inn across the street. Griffin Gate Resort, a highly rated Marriott property, is maybe .5 miles away and an Embassy Suites a bit further. Downtown LEX is ~3-4 miles away and has a Hyatt Regency and a Hilton. Most of the usual suspects not far away driving.

Easy access to I-64 and I-75 from the 4 Points. LEX is very easy to get around, but you will need access to a car.

mile ho cannot attend this time, so probably no behind-the-scenes horse farm tour.

Will go to Keeneland once or twice, probably 2-3 bourbon distillery tours/tastings. Some good southern food to be had, so we'll think about that. We have never been to Shakertown or to Mary Todd Lincoln's girlhood home, so those are possibilities.

Party/reception in my parents' backyard Saturday.

Attending/likely:

toomanybooks
KMA26
CokeandTaco
Herb687
HPN-HRL
Ceres

Maybe

polkacat

Can't make it

Sweet Willie
mattp1987

Last edited by toomanybooks; Sep 24, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Oh, I'm moving to Dayton this Summer, and this sounds like a great time! I have travel booked for the weekend of the 10th and am debating running the Baltimore Marathon on the 18th, so the first weekend would be the best bet for me too.

However, I did have to laugh at your comment about not traveling two weekends in a row. This is FT after all.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Sounds great to me! 4 points is booked for Oct. 3-5; I used points but they also have an AAA rate which is fully refundable until the day of check-in for $119 + tax (=$135 all-in).

October 3-5 is also the best weekend for me, as I already have travel plans for the following two weekends...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Have a conflict the first weekend of the fall meet.

Has to be the weekend of Oct 10-12 for me.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I propose we stay at the 4 Pts. again, as it's an SPG Cat 2 and only 3K points on weekends. Rate with cancellation option right now is about $158 all-in.
I've never used points here but didn't it used to be a SPG Category 1? We might be the only ones keeping the place afloat!

Changeable rates can be had for $111+ (AAA or senior) right now for the weekend of Oct 10-12. SET/GP rates at this property tend to be lower yet.

(Slightly OT - got a nice surprise on my AAdv statement when I saw that Stella's Kentucky Deli joined AAdvantage Dining)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:35 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I am thinking Oct 3-5 is best.
best for me, 4 points booked & calendar blocked out
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:52 pm

Talked to my better half after work. She was a bit skeptical when I said it was a FT event but excited once I said "bourbon." Unfortunately, we don't know if she can get off work, but I'm hoping to attend with or without her. I have a room booked for the Oct 3-5.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: AA
My October schedule is still tbd but I've now got this pencilled in - the 1st weekend is probably the best for me.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:12 am

After doing a big more checking, I found the Fairfield Inn Lexington North is in the same parking lot as the Four Points and is a category 4 hotel. I think I'm going to burn some Cat 1-5 certificates there instead. I've been fairly consistently earning these the last few quarters, so I'd rather burn them than use cash or Starpoints. Plus, free breakfast. ^

I just wanted to pass this along in case it helps anyone else. The website did show almost sold out for the weekend of Oct 3-5, so I'd book sooner rather than later if you choose this option. Cancellation policy is 24 hours.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
that weekend is open for us and since we missed out in April we would like to try to come. it might be just me, or neither of us, as we both have to go to BTV the following weekend for a wedding. we'll keep it in mind for now...
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mattp1987
After doing a big more checking, I found the Fairfield Inn Lexington North is in the same parking lot as the Four Points and is a category 4 hotel. I think I'm going to burn some Cat 1-5 certificates there instead. I've been fairly consistently earning these the last few quarters, so I'd rather burn them than use cash or Starpoints. Plus, free breakfast. ^

I just wanted to pass this along in case it helps anyone else. The website did show almost sold out for the weekend of Oct 3-5, so I'd book sooner rather than later if you choose this option. Cancellation policy is 24 hours.
The Fairfield is not quite the same parking lot as the 4 Pts., but only 2-3 blocks east. Fine choice.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Right now, I'm equally un-free all four weekends... so don't go by me in terms of picking a date. If I do make it, I will probably combine it with business in Nashville and a one-way car rental, and I probably won't know until the last minute.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:30 pm

Put me down as maybe for the October DO. I currently have no date preference.

I will try hard to make it back to LEX. Sounds like you guys had another great visit to the Bluegrass State this April.

*Kentucky Derby FT Hunch play.....

#14 - Medal Count
Fathered by Dynaformer (3 Chimneys - visited Apr 2013 DO)
Owned by Spendthrift Farm (visited - Apr 2012 DO)
Trained by Dale Romans (we watched a horse he trained Dullahan (now gone) win in the 2012 Blue Grass Stakes)
Old May 2, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
*Kentucky Derby FT Hunch play.....

#14 - Medal Count
Fathered by Dynaformer (3 Chimneys - visited Apr 2013 DO)
Owned by Spendthrift Farm (visited - Apr 2012 DO)
Trained by Dale Romans (we watched a horse he trained Dullahan (now gone) win in the 2012 Blue Grass Stakes)
I need to get to work on my Derby day handicapping. I've made it through the Kentucky Oaks though. I believe that the Oaks will be televised so you can do much worse that turning on your TV at 5:49 ET this afternoon.

Untapable (#13, 4-5 morning line), by the amazing sire Tapit, looks, on paper, unstoppable vs. her competition today and probably deserves those incredibly short odds.

For an interesting longshot though, I am liking the #8 Aurelia's Belle (50-1 morning line). She won't win the race but is the type of longshot that could turn a trifecta with Untapable on top into a very nice score. If she's anywhere north of 25-1 at post time, a quality gamble for show.

In order, I like the Oaks as follows:

Untapable
Ria Antonia
Rosalind
Aurelia's Belle
Unbridled Forever
My Miss Sophia
Got Lucky

(I am betting that the probable pacesetters Sugar Shock and Fashion Plate will wear each other down and fade. Sophia needs to rate if she wants to crash the superfecta. The hotter the early pace, the more Rosalind benefits in particular.)
Old May 7, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
TB, I am down as a definite Maybe, I'm at say 5-2 odds right now. I am booked for Oct 23-26 to back to find an M.I.A in mia You know.. lol (Well put Paul!!) And I plan on the Chicago seminars on the 17-19 so anything other than that should work for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.