Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Belgian Beer Festival DO IV in BRU, April 26-27, 2014

Belgian Beer Festival DO IV in BRU, April 26-27, 2014

Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:29 am

Sorry you guys won't make it, it'd have been nice to meet some fellow FTers. Toer de geuze 2015 then!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
I, too, am sorry you guys won't be able to make it. Would have been nice to have a group to chat with while sampling the beers.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of questions about the cafe at Westvleteren for those who have been there. I see they are closed Thursday and Friday. Are they more crowded on the weekend? We are planning to go by train/taxi from Brussels for lunch one day. Is this feasible? Do they generally require a reservation?

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: CO Pres Plat, then UA Global Services--long expired : (
Condolences to KMA26 and family.

toomanybooks: hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear of the circumstances this year for the both of you.

I'm hoping that the other FTer's who previously responded are still planning to go. Specifically, Night of the Great Thirst on Friday and then the ZBF Saturday/Sunday. Please post here or PM me if you are still going. Would love to meet some folks while I'm there.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by srletend
Condolences to KMA26 and family.

toomanybooks: hoping for a speedy recovery.

Sorry to hear of the circumstances this year for the both of you.

I'm hoping that the other FTer's who previously responded are still planning to go. Specifically, Night of the Great Thirst on Friday and then the ZBF Saturday/Sunday. Please post here or PM me if you are still going. Would love to meet some folks while I'm there.
My wife and I are still planning to come to ZBF. Not sure we will make Friday.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA
I will definitely be at Night of the Great Thirst and ZBF (Saturday only). Would be great to connect with others who will be there.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat
I will definitely be at Night of the Great Thirst and ZBF (Saturday only). Would be great to connect with others who will be there.
I should have mentioned that we can make Saturday or Sunday.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by KMA26
Very sadly, I must advise that I will not be able to attend the Belgian Beer Festival this year. My father-in-law has passed away. I will miss seeing all of you this year (as well as all the great beer, especially The Night of Great Thirst and ZBF). All three of the previous DOs have been great fun and no doubt this one will be as well.

For those of you staying at the Renaissance next weekend, please note that while cancelling my reservation I saw that for Marriott Rewards members they seem to have added a rate of 79 euros/night inclusive of 10 euro/night food and beverage credit, plus 1000 bonus pts/stay. After you've entered your dates and click on view rates, hit the "Marriott Rewards Offer" tab and this offer should appear. These extras were not available when I made my original reservation and the offer seems to be good for Fri, Sat, Fri+Sat, and Fri-Sun date combos.

Hope to see all of you soon.
Safe travels to all.

Sorry for your loss.

We will miss seeing you guys.

I changed my Renaissance reservation, thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michilander
I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of questions about the cafe at Westvleteren for those who have been there. I see they are closed Thursday and Friday. Are they more crowded on the weekend? We are planning to go by train/taxi from Brussels for lunch one day. Is this feasible? Do they generally require a reservation?

Thanks.
The cafe at Westvleteren is called "In De Vrede." You can Google it.

Plenty big enough, plus outdoor patio, so I don't think you'll have to wait in line in April. It's not in a very populated area. Of course, we went on a weekday and got there at opening.

Best way to get there is probably the train to Poperinge and then the "Belbus." This is a nationwide network of small bus service (seating about 12-14). You call a few hours ahead and reserve, as I don't think they run everywhere all the time except by demand. Pickup is right in front of the train station. As I recall, it's about 3 Euro each way. KMA26 and I did the triangle trip of Poperinge-St. Bernardus-In De Vrede-Poperinge over 2 days.

Don't drink-and-drive in Belgium. Tough penalties. And the Westy beer will knock you over. If you are fortunate, they will have Westy 12 for sale to go at In De Vrede. About 20 Euro a six-pack. This is beer that, if you can find it, goes for $40 a bottle in the US, so consider bringing some back. They also may have 8 and Blonde. Try all three varieties (always available in the cafe) to see which you like best.

The food there is not particularly fabulous. If you can swing a lunch trip to De Heeren van Liedekirche, you'll find it much more memorable. #1 beer restaurant in the world. The chef will be at the Great Belgian Beer Dinner (I assume) on Wed. and Thurs night.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 20, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
If you can swing a lunch trip to De Heeren van Liedekirche, you'll find it much more memorable. #1 beer restaurant in the world. The chef will be at the Great Belgian Beer Dinner (I assume) on Wed. and Thurs night.
Yes, he will.

For anyone interested in meeting up for Night of the Great Thirst, the 1st hourly shuttle from Denderleuuw to Eizeringen on Friday is at 18:00 which we could catch by taking a 17:32 train from Midi. Maybe meet at 17:00 near Gare du Midi - there's a Park Inn across the street which should be easy to find, other suggestions also welcome.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Thanks to everyone for their kind words of sympathy and support. They are greatly appreciated.

Let me second the recollections and recommendations made by toomanybooks and polkacat relative to logistics for the trip. The Belbus is very convenient and inexpensive for local travel in western Belgium. Enjoy the Westy, the lambic on Friday and all the other great beer you'll be having. Hope to read and hear great reports on the DO.

Safe travels to all.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: CO Pres Plat, then UA Global Services--long expired : (
For anyone interested in meeting up for Night of the Great Thirst, the 1st hourly shuttle from Denderleuuw to Eizeringen on Friday is at 18:00 which we could catch by taking a 17:32 train from Midi. Maybe meet at 17:00 near Gare du Midi - there's a Park Inn across the street which should be easy to find, other suggestions also welcome.
Perfect! I'll plan to meet at the Park Inn on Friday. Anyone else?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Americans going over might want to consider taking some sort of premium US craft beer. It makes a great, inexpensive gift for beer guys. Probably best to get something hoppy and bitter, as that style is not made well over there and it's a real treat for them. If you aren't too knowledgeable, the staff at a good liquor store can help.

Also strong dark beers like stout, and especially bourbon-barrel aged are welcome.

Cover the bottles in several layers of bubble wrap and put in a large Ziploc in case of breakage.

You can get some ideas here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/

Beers from these breweries (off the top of my head) would be well received:

Founders
Bell's
Stone
Three Floyds
Russian River
Green Flash

If you want to bring some back, go crazy. Customs will not care about even a couple cases. Consider bringing:

Westvleteren
Cantillon (also visit the brewery near Gare du Midi)
Aged gueuzes (3-4 years perhaps)

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 21, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
The cafe at Westvleteren is called "In De Vrede." You can Google it.

Plenty big enough, plus outdoor patio, so I don't think you'll have to wait in line in April. It's not in a very populated area. Of course, we went on a weekday and got there at opening.

Best way to get there is probably the train to Poperinge and then the "Belbus." This is a nationwide network of small bus service (seating about 12-14). You call a few hours ahead and reserve, as I don't think they run everywhere all the time except by demand. Pickup is right in front of the train station. As I recall, it's about 3 Euro each way.
Perfect! Thanks a bunch for the intel!

Not sure I am going to be able to talk my wife into it as she wants to do non-beer related stuff, too. But, if I do, will they serve food there, or are you guys planning to have dinner before you go? How would I know you guys?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:00 pm

Michilander, I believe that there will be food there - nothing fancy, but some trailers with sausage, frites, etc kind of food. Eizeringen itself is very small and has no restaurants as far as I know.

Regarding meeting up, check your PMs.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:13 pm

Michilander, I believe that there will be food there - nothing fancy, but some trailers with sausage, frites, etc kind of food.
That's right, some fries and burgers will be there, if it's anything like two years ago.
I will go by car, not sure yet around what time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.