Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hamburg Do May 9-11, 2014: Airbus, Port Festival, Lufthansa Technik and more

Hamburg Do May 9-11, 2014: Airbus, Port Festival, Lufthansa Technik and more

Old May 9, 2014, 11:49 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Some random images from the DO

Weather improved later (briefly) - Hamburg Hauptbahnhof

Matjes herring and steak tartar starters at Schlachterbörse

My steak - half the standard size!

Old May 10, 2014, 8:47 am

Oh man, I should really check FT more often - turns out there's a DO in my home town and I didn't even know!

I'd love to join you guys for the LH tour tomorrow but considering the number of people that were already on WL I'm just gonna guess there's no spot available

Anyway, enjoy your stay in our town and sorry for the rain. Next HAM DO I'll be there too.
Old May 10, 2014, 11:16 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Well, 3 had to drop out last minute for the LH tour, but I don't think I can add anytone less than 5 days in advance.

Had a great day yesterday: the weather gods loved us in XFW and the sun was shining for the Airbus tour. The English guide was on fire, loved how he had visuals, rivets and various other details in his bag to further explain what he was pointing out in the line from afar.

Sadly it seems the German guide was not so enthusiastic, so I apologize that the fairy dust from Airbus PR didn't apply to all guides

Sure enough the rain came back for our group photo, and it poured cats and dogs for the rest of the afternoon, including the treck to the quay for our boat and most of the cruise. At least it stopped for the fireworks.

Now off to the LH tour!
Old May 11, 2014, 9:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Had a very full morning and early afternoon at LHT Hamburg. We saw a couple of 744s and a 748 VIP jets in the hangar plus had a very close look at a Lufthansa A340-300 going through D-check. It will have new Business seats fitted but at present everything has been stripped out and is just a cell.

Thanks, oliver2002 for organising the most enjoyable Do and for acting as a shepherd, nanny and interpreter. A shame it wasn't a good weekend for JU52 flyers. LufthansaFlyer and _kurt's flight on Friday was cancelled due to adverse weather. It has now gone tech and my flight this afternoon along with other flights today has been cancelled.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:50 pm

Thanks Oliver & Co for arranging a super weekend, and not minding a small amount of gate crashing on Friday night. Those steaks are too good to miss.

Yes, the English guide at Airbus was great yesterday, and today at LHT, the guide was also very good - even a bit too chatty. I felt a bit sorry for the non-German speaking/understanding visitors, but I believe Oliver was doing a great job at translation.

Also was a bit sad was the number of Ju52 cancellations, affecting some of the FTers. It was nice to see her fly overhead as we disembarked at Airbus, and I had the chance to see her again from St Pauli in the afternoon.

I hope everyone made/makes it home safely, and has a good start to the week.

Aidan
Old May 11, 2014, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Exhausted greetings from my living room in MUC. Made it home, but completely exhausted. I guess walking around for 3+ hours with just a Park Hyatt breakfast two days in a row is tough. Still bummed the fairy dust didn't apply to the JU52 flights, and that the super chatty LT guide couldn't get us to the DLBFS hangar to see the ME and FW aircraft

Had a great time this weekend, the WX gods owe us big time!

Looking forward to LHflyer, daisee and miffSCs blog report, I didn't take any pictures, so lets see what they come up with. NR already posted the critical food, fireworks and LHT gate photos on faceblech
Old May 11, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH [FTL]
A big thanks also from me to oliver2002 and all those small helpers who were involved in making this event possible. It was a nice weekend in Hamburg. And just for the record, I saved some more tons of kerosine today by taking the ecofriendly train to get home (only 150km though)
Old May 11, 2014, 10:04 pm

Good morning from the B43 SEN lounge in FRA. Perhaps I could have made the flight to MAN last night if I ignored what was announced on the delayed flight from HAM and went straight from A40 to B44 but here I am bleary-eyed waiting for the 7am flight. It's the first time I've actually missed a connection in FRA. I'll try not to book a 45 min connection to save a few pounds in future.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
NR already posted the critical food, fireworks and LHT gate photos on faceblech
Posting photos on faceblech is much easier than posting on FT. . I'll post some here when I get back since posting on FB seems to have used all my data credit.
Old May 12, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
Had a great weekend in Hamburg

Home again in the southern, warm and dry part of Germany in Stuttgart, I like to thank oliver2002 very much for organizing this very interesting Do in Hamburg, his efforts keeping us altogether and motivating us for bearing the rainy and cold weather and the talkative LH representative. ^

It was a pleasure meeting you all and having fun together
Old May 12, 2014, 4:46 pm

Not quite home yet. Stuck at DFW due to thunderstorms. Not all bad, as I'm spending the delay in the lounge with a cocktail and I'm protected on two other flights in case mine gets cancelled.
I'll join the chorus of thanks to the organizers. Will post my photos as time allows, and look forward to seeing the group photos from XFW and LHT.
Old May 12, 2014, 5:08 pm

A big thank you to all of you and especially to oliver2002 for a tremendous weekend in Hamburg (and for helping me get through the weekend as a unknown identity)!

I have to admit that I was quite impressed by our LHT guide's knowledge - we could have asked him anything and he would still have an anecdote to tell us about...
Only point for improvement: his willingness to talk in English.

Hope to see you guys some time soon
Old May 12, 2014, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by SegRun11
I have to admit that I was quite impressed by our LHT guide's knowledge - we could have asked him anything and he would still have an anecdote to tell us about...
Only point for improvement: his willingness to talk in english
It seemed to me that while he was fluent in english, he had to speak more slowly in order to find the right words. Given how much he had to say, that was a serious impediment. It's like typing on a touchscreen vs a physical keyboard
Old May 12, 2014, 10:44 pm

Found the following on Lufthansa's flight status information page.

Flight: LH9811, operated by Lufthansa
Aircraft: Junkers JU-52 (Rundflug/Sightseeing flight)

Scheduled departure: 11 May, 10:15
Estimated departure: --
Actual departure: 11 May, 10:23
Gate: A26
Airport information

To: Hamburg, Germany
Scheduled arrival: 11 May, 11:00
Estimated arrival: 11 May, 11:14
Actual arrival: 11 May, 10:55
Gate: --
Airport information
Sunday morning's JU52 flight (LH9811) departed 8 minutes late but landed earlier than planned which suggests they must have found problems during the flight. All subsequent flights on Sunday were cancelled. I should have been on the 17:15 flight on Sunday and have received an email offering the following options:

• Alternative flight in Hamburg during the 2014 season
  • One of the additional flights next weekend in Hamburg for passengers from cancelled flights
  • Voucher for a JU52 flight valid for 3 years
  • Refund

Although I would like to fly on JU52 again I may have to request a refund for now. How about another JU52 Do?
Old May 13, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

mlang2 had an idea for a BRE JU52 DO in late October. The JU is there during the week though and I leave for India that Saturday. OTOH they also have a LH presence there and Airbus plants too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.