• The price includes the $25 cost of the compulsory three day park pass
Print Wikipost

Oz Fest #11. "The Red Centre" Australia. Memorial Day Weekend, May 23-25, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
confirmed!

Color me confirmed after spending about 20 hours analyzing flights the last few days. For some reason AA has blocked all its SFO-LAX flights for award travel so I'll be originating from Sacramento (SMF) for this trip and also returning there (downside is I have a five hour connection at LAX on the way home). Pacific flights are on a 5 day hold but will follow through and ticket if nothing from SFO appears in the next few days. Flying over in coach and back in business.

I'll be on the 0940 flight on the 23rd SYD-ASP on Qantas. I see a number of FTers are on that already.

I'll leave AYQ on the 1030 Qantas flight with the group on the 26th, connecting onto the MEL flight at 1150. I paid for my internal flights as they came out to $US282, saving 20,000 AA miles and about $US83 in taxes. Didn't look like a good use of miles. Interesting that Qantas was willing to do the US dollar conversion for me at .966 when my credit card with no forex converted at .925, about 4% less, when I requested to be billed in Australian dollars. Much better than the $1.06 in Perth just 6 months back.

Besides the two nights in Alice Springs and one night in Ayers Rock, I continue on with three nights in Melbourne, three nights in Sydney, and a forced overnight in Brisbane on the way home at no extra charge, so will get in five different cities this time around.

Hotels are pending. Would like to see what rate is negotiated at Ayers Rock before booking there.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Color me confirmed after spending about 20 hours analyzing flights the last few days.
Done ^ Platinum definite
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps

My personal plan idea that will work well I think, and book flights based on this I suggest -

1. Friday - START in Alice Springs with a Friday night dinner. Overnight Alice. We arrive on a direct Qantas flight at 12.25pm so doubtless others will be about, to have an initial lunch on Friday.

2. Spend Saturday in and around that town (there is a lot to see nearby) with Welcome Dinner on Saturday night. Overnight Alice.

3. Then charter a large coach to drive Alice Springs to Uluru/Ayers Rock on Sunday. Several of us looked up the time span to do that in Perth, and it is about 6 or so hours normal driving.

There are a number of interesting things to see spread along the journey - DO take a look at this thread before the inevitable few moans about long drives across desert

http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/dr...ers-rock.html/

So my plan would be to do that as an early start full day, with a lunch stop en-route.

Overnight Sunday at Uluru and Sunday dinner there too. We will undoubtedly be able to talk to hotel to get a deal for combined accommodation and dinner there.

Uluru accommodation is limited and expensive, and that will be the way to go I think.

Coach would take us on a circuit of the Rock Sunday evening at Sunset, where by far the best photos are to be had.

4. Monday morning, we can almost certainly get to the nearby Olgas or whatever they are called these days - photoshoot dream. If we book the large bus for ourselves for 2 days we can do that kind of thing, and split 40 ways or so, the cost will be reasonable to all.

Members will mostly choose to fly out Monday, as we will likely do, as Virgin has a daily direct flight to SYD from Uluru.

Monday May 26 - VA 1628 - depart Uluru 13.45 - arrive SYD - 17.20
Folks as per post #1, one day of the OzFest weekend was predicated on a bus journey from Alice to Uluru.

It is NOT "just a bus ride" as those who bothered to read the link above will have seen. There are well paced things to see and do along the journey as that link outlines.

"In our opinion, driving from Alice Springs to Ayers Rock is a road trip that everyone should have on their bucket list. It’s the ultimate outback trip that opens your eyes to the incredible diversity of the outback’s landscapes. Driving to from Alice Springs to Ayers Rock is one of Australia’s top road trips."

I know it is possible to fly between them but hopefully no-one will! Flights will be a DARN sight dearer than the bus ride will cost you.

I personally do not see the point in coming to be honest, if you plan to fly Alice-Uluru on the Sunday.

The more on the bus, clearly the lower the per person cost to all that are on it. As well as allowing a full size coach to be booked, with the benefits of an board loo most likely, freezer, and more space etc. And the joint experience of doing the trip as a GROUP which is what all OzFests are about. @:-)@:-)@:-)

How on earth apportioning the bus charge to those who fly to Uluru would be calculated, I have no idea but it will not be cheap is my current thinking. But you WILL be paying it if you join in with the others doing a sunset circuit of the Rock, and next morning trip to Olgas etc.

A large bus booked exclusively for 2 days will NOT be cheap, quite a few $1000 I am sure, and it was anticipated near all would be on it, to keep the per person cost down.

So for those yet to book travel, please keep this in mind. @:-)

I have not even thought about getting bus quotes yet as clearly their first question will be "exactly how large a bus do you need" and price varies enormously on that, from my experience at other OzFests.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Nov 24, 2013 at 1:15 am
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Folks as per post #1, one day of the OzFest weekend was predicated on a bus journey from Alice to Uluru.
I've done that once before, with a 4WD bus down a red dirt track most of the way, and it's probably one of the most memorable Australian travel experiences I retain (the other being the trek from Perth up to Exmouth). I'm looking forward to doing it again whether "on the road" or "on the dirt track".
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911

I've done that once before, with a 4WD bus down a red dirt track most of the way, and it's probably one of the most memorable Australian travel experiences I retain (the other being the trek from Perth up to Exmouth). I'm looking forward to doing it again whether "on the road" or "on the dirt track".
Some link clicking needed for you Tom. @:-)

Don't spook the horses!

The bus trip is on 100% SEALED ROADS, not red dirt tracks!

http://traveloutbackaustralia.com/dr...ers-rock.html/
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: QF, SQ, GA
Probable, but will have to see what work's doing in the new year before I can confirm.

Sounds like a fun weekend
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: QF, HH
Never been to the Rock but have always wanted to check it out. Sounds like that bus trip would be great value...

But, I'll be slaving away at that time of the year again at uni. 2015, however, will be a different story, so I'm the one who's gonna have to wait until then....

As a side note, Queenstown would be a great spot for an NZ-based Ozfest. And yes, there is a Hilton there.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I have a ticket in and out of the country 17/5-3/6, so it's safe to move me to Gold.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Leaving the Red Centre
Those air fares may have dropped a bit the last couple weeks (such is life) but when I booked the tickets it looked as though the savings for two people departing Tuesday would exceed even the normal hotel costs in Uluru for an extra day.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by serfty
Not sure if there are any taxis available, but complimentary bus transfers are provided by the resort.

Departure from the resort is based on flight time.

Whether they would depart late enough to enable the full OzFest morning is another matter.
Originally Posted by perthite
They were departing the resort ~2 hours prior to flight departure time....I guess they'd still be roughly in that time frame.
Last year on the 26th May, the sun rose at 07:21... The flight is at 10:30. That's 3 hrs.

The group on QF1940 should have adequate time to see the sunrise and get to the airport, but may miss out on the "full morning" experience (e.g. The Olgas)...

If we are hiring our own bus, perhaps that bus could drop off at the airport prior to going to the Olgas with the Virgin flyers? I am not sure of the road distances involved, so this is just a suggestion.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Platinum please
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:11 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
Wanting to lock down the very reasonable price of AU$209, I booked the QF flights AYQ-ASP-ADL on the 26th.

Anyway, it's nice to know I'm not alone in having to depart earlier on the 26th. Hopefully we can arrange for an airport transport post-sunrise visit to Ayers Rock -- maybe as a detour on the way to the Olgas for those of you departing on the VA flight to SYD.

I note that I do have to spend an extra hour at ASP before my flight to ADL, though. Maybe if I ask nicely, jozdemir can get me into the Qantas Club before he leaves for MEL, so I can at least hang out in comfort.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Leaving the Red Centre

QF1940 AYQ 10:30 26-May ASP 11:15 26-May
has been booked by
CDKing
lowjhg
Crankychick
wijomas
jozdemir
gvdIAD
pengal

QF722 ASP 12:50 26-May ADL 14:50 26-May
has been booked by
gvdIAD
gvdIAD, looks like we'll be on the same flights together AYQ/ASP/ADL.

Did a lot of research tonight and will be looking to book the following tomorrow for Mrs QFWP and me:

23/05 QF824 BNE/DRW Dep 09:30 Arr 13:10, connecting to
23/05 QF1939 DRW/ASP Dep 14:40 Arr 16:40

Should make the Friday drinks and dinner easily.

26/05 QF1940 AYQ/ASP Dep 10:30 Arr 11:15, connecting to
26/05 QF 722 ASP/ADL Dep 12:50 Arr 14:50, connecting to
26/05 QF656 ADL/BNE Dep 18:00 Arr 20:50

I've booked the Doubletree for the Fri & Sat nights ($189 cancellable Junior Suite) and have left the Sun night unbooked so can be included in the hopeful group rate

Last edited by QF WP; Dec 5, 2013 at 7:36 am Reason: Booked the Doubletree
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QF WP
Did a lot of research tonight and will be looking to book the following tomorrow for Mrs QFWP and me
23/05 QF824 BNE/DRW Dep 09:30 Arr 13:10, connecting to
23/05 QF1939 DRW/ASP Dep 14:40 Arr 16:40
Have updated flights in post 10
cat207 & cat207_+1 are on the same BNE-DRW-ASP flights

10 now on QF1940 26-May AYQ 10:30 26-May ASP 11:15.
So no platinum shadows? Who will get the best seats?

Getting to and about Alice & Uluru/Ayers Rock in post 8.
Flights: Who is flying where in post 10
Subscribe to this thread by clicking here: Subscribe to Oz Fest 11 Red Centre Australia

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 5, 2013 at 11:26 pm
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by QF WP
Good to know there'll be someone to help me get to the flight to ADL and be sure I don't get lost in what I'm sure is the cavernous ASP Airport.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: LX HON, Radisson Platinum, Hilton Gold
Okay... please put me down as an Silver Elite... I am planning to do a RTW around that time and might just hit the date!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.