Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
...So, unless I hear some very strong encouragement from some of you in the group here , I'm afraid I'll have to reluctantly take a rain check....
This should not qualify as any sort of encouragement since I am sitting here completely astounded that you have morphed to the point of becoming the sort who would let a four hour drive come between you and any kind of event.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by monitor
This should not qualify as any sort of encouragement since I am sitting here completely astounded that you have morphed to the point of becoming the sort who would let a four hour drive come between you and any kind of event.
It's this "living on the east coast" thing. It's getting to me.

Of course, I don't really live on the east coast. I just occasionally visit the address my mail is sent to.

Hmm, 7:30pm is late enough that I actually wouldn't even have to wake up early to make it up in time for dinner. (There's a chink in the armor...)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
So far, our Armenian meal at Sevan was the only thing remotely close to JFK - and even that is a 15-20 minute cab ride without traffic. See map here. As we learned the hard way, this place is only open after 5pm.

Edit: If traffic cooperates, I suppose Boca Juniors (Argentina) is about the same distance from JFK. Map
Thanks for the suggestions will try this out.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
...Hmm, 7:30pm is late enough that I actually wouldn't even have to wake up early to make it up in time for dinner. (There's a chink in the armor...)
This actually sounds a bit more like the jackal who ran over to AUS from SAN for dinner the other day.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Meal #10 - Austria

We enjoyed Schnitzel, Spätzel, und Wein at Edi and the Wolf last night, but I regrettably have no pictures to share this time. The unique decor was also a highlight - the Zagat review accurately describes it as "something out of a fractured fairy tale". If you are considering a visit, be sure you have made a note of the address since there is no signage on the exterior of the restaurant.

We now have only one more "A" country on our list - Azerbaijan, which is likely to involve a trip to the far southern reaches of the BMT lines. Details coming soon.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
We enjoyed Schnitzel, Spätzel, und Wein at Edi and the Wolf last night, but I regrettably have no pictures to share this time. The unique decor was also a highlight - the Zagat review accurately describes it as "something out of a fractured fairy tale". If you are considering a visit, be sure you have made a note of the address since there is no signage on the exterior of the restaurant.

We now have only one more "A" country on our list - Azerbaijan, which is likely to involve a trip to the far southern reaches of the BMT lines. Details coming soon.
Sorry I missed it! Looking forward to Azerbaijan!
Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

I haven't had good Schnitzel since Krakow. May have to go there on my next visit. Was it worth the trip?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
I haven't had good Schnitzel since Krakow. May have to go there on my next visit. Was it worth the trip?
I thought the pork schnitzel was excellent. Those who had the veal schnitzel also liked it a lot.

Since you were the one who inquired about that dinner and I know your next question, we stayed with the Austrian wines, one Gemischter Satz Weingut Schmidt (Gruener and Riesling) and a Cuvee Carnuntum red (probably Zweigelt and Blaufraenkisch). We would not find any of that stuff on the Wall 'o Wine but those went really well with the food.

Last edited by monitor; Nov 10, 2013 at 8:42 pm
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by monitor
I thought the pork schnitzel was excellent. Those who had the veal schnitzel also liked it a lot.

Since you were the one who inquired about that dinner and I know your next question, we stayed with the Austrian wines, one Gemischter Satz Weingut Schmidt (Gruener and Riesling) and a Cuvee Carnuntum red (probably Zweigelt and Blaufraenkisch). We would not find any of that stuff on the Wall 'o Wine but those went really well with the food.
Mind reader!!!!

Well, there is that Grüner Veltliner that I picked up in Oregon in March

Although I do plan to visit the Austrian wine country one of these days to try the real thing.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
This article made me think of this thread--perhaps it'll be useful:

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/11...rants.php#more
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Have been away on a quick SE Asia adventure (which included my first tastes of Cambodian cuisine), but am now ready to get back to the project. We are looking at the evening of Saturday, December 14 for the Azerbaijan meal. I still need to nail down a location but it will be somewhere in Southern Brooklyn. There is a newish place right next to L&B Spumoni Gardens that might do the trick.

Originally Posted by Calcifer
This article made me think of this thread--perhaps it'll be useful:

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/11...rants.php#more
Very helpful, thanks ^

I have added all of these to my running list of recommendations, most of which come from taxi drivers or people in the subway with interesting accents

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; Nov 30, 2013 at 7:26 am
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I just found this thread and would love to get in on this whole adventure. It will dovetail nicely with my current goal of visiting at least one country for every letter of the alphabet (I'm almost finished, minus the X which does not exist, and the March 2014 trip to Yemen that I'm now planning will complete the set!) As a great lover of international cuisine as well as ridiculous alphabet-based challenges, I find it very compelling!

Unfortunately I will be in DC on 12/14 but I hope to make it to as many future dining adventures as possible, travel permitting. Azeri food should be great. And I think I have a Bosnian candidate in Manhattan, right near Penn Station, if it still exists.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I just found this thread and would love to get in on this whole adventure. It will dovetail nicely with my current goal of visiting at least one country for every letter of the alphabet (I'm almost finished, minus the X which does not exist, and the March 2014 trip to Yemen that I'm now planning will complete the set!) As a great lover of international cuisine as well as ridiculous alphabet-based challenges, I find it very compelling!

Unfortunately I will be in DC on 12/14 but I hope to make it to as many future dining adventures as possible, travel permitting. Azeri food should be great. And I think I have a Bosnian candidate in Manhattan, right near Penn Station, if it still exists.
I am often asked why the challenge has to be alphabetical, so your understanding of such matters will be welcome

re: Bosnian food - there is also Bosna Express in Ridgewood, Queens, where you can find the largest "burger" (by circumference) in NYC.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Azerbaijan

For the final meal in the A's, we are going to try Baku Palace in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn @ 6:30pm, Saturday, December 14. All are welcome.

Edit 12/6: Baku Palace is booked so dinner is now at The Lights of Baku in Gravesend. Same time.

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; Dec 6, 2013 at 3:29 pm Reason: Location Change
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're in town that weekend and we're in for the Baku Palace. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.