Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sab-E-Lee Thai San Diego (PQ) - Sunday Oct 27

Sab-E-Lee Thai San Diego (PQ) - Sunday Oct 27

Old Sep 20, 13, 6:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SAN/TIJ or under water.
Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Posts: 1,879
แซบอีหลี Sab-E-Lee Thai San Diego (PQ) - Sunday Oct 27

My absolute favorite Isaan Thai place now has a branch in Penasquitos, and they take credit cards and reservations, unlike the original in Linda Vista. Shirley and I scouted it the other night, and I think it will work well for a FT dinner. It's larger and nicely appointed, and the food was just as good. แซบอีหลี (sab-e-lee) means "yummy."

Sab-E-Lee
13223-2 Black Mountain Rd
San Diego, CA 92129
Neighborhood: Rancho Penasquitos
(858) 780-0022

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-original...by=rating_desc

Isaan/Isan is northeastern Thailand and the food is Lao influenced Thai. It tends to be spicy, but of course can be ordered mild. Sab-E-Lee has a realistic spiciness scale from 1-10. I am reasonably conversant with the cuisine, have tried many of the dishes here and can help with suggestions.

I am suggesting NOTE: 5:00pm on Sunday October 27. Rancho Penasquitos is very centrally located in the county. There is ample parking and it is not far from the freeway.

ฉันจะอยู่ที่นั่น (I will be there):
SanDiego1K +1
KevinS (+1)
Bowgie +1
wrxmom
jake66
anabolism
4theRide
TripLhappiness
normcpa +1
emaij +1
hiyo +1

บางที (maybe):

chopsiuy

ฉันไม่สามารถจะมี (I can't be there):
FrAAmer
kaaria
lili
pinguy
nzpilot
FireFlyer
Sweet Willie
kirkwoodj
goodeats21
goober153
maltasr
fet
Canadiens
LLM

Here's the menu (the restaurant photo is of the tiny Linda Vista location) -



Last edited by hiyo; Oct 27, 13 at 12:08 am
hiyo is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 6:43 pm
  #2  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,734
Yum. SanDiego1K + 1 are in.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 7:26 pm
  #3  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Posts: 576
Darn! Unfortunately Mrs. FrAAmer and I will be in Nashville .
FrAAmer is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 7:46 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego
Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Posts: 623
Sorry will be at a hockey game in LA
kaaria is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 7:49 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Posts: 4,922
Thanks, hiyo. It's great there are more SAN dinners this year as they are
quite enjoyable and it's great to see everybody on the odd occasion I show up.

Sorry, I'm mileage running that day (and almost every day until Christmas)
I plan to organize better in 2014 and should be able to make it to some
local events for a change.

Nice of you to share your expertise, and am sure everybody will have a wonderful time.
lili is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 8:04 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SAN / CLD / SNA
Programs: closing in on 2mm UA | LT Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Posts: 226
Thanks for the invite - this sounds lovely. Have 3 weeks on the road right before, incl NYC for work, Paris for work + Nuit Blanche, Sharm for a wedding, Florence for 2day fo fun then week of work, then week in LAX for work, so will be trying NOT to fly for a few days at least.
Count me in, perhaps a +1 depending on whether my attempts at romantic endeavours with a 'landlubber' will tolerate this next jaunt or not...
KevinS is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 9:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 107
Sab-E-Lee Thai San Diego (PQ) - Sunday Oct 27

Thanks for the invite! This restaurant is amazing, a favorite of my thai roomate. Ill try ti make it!
goober153 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 9:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Posts: 1,263
We'd love to attend. Can't tolerate Thai food that is too spicy. Please plan on two guests: Mr. and Mrs. Maltasr. And thank you for taking the time to arrange this.
maltasr is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 9:51 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SAN/TIJ or under water.
Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by FrAAmer View Post
Darn! Unfortunately Mrs. FrAAmer and I will be in Nashville .
Too bad! Some other time, hopefully...

Originally Posted by kaaria View Post
Sorry will be at a hockey game in LA
Have fun, see you at the next one maybe...

Originally Posted by lili View Post
Thanks, hiyo. It's great there are more SAN dinners this year as they are
quite enjoyable and it's great to see everybody on the odd occasion I show up.

Sorry, I'm mileage running that day (and almost every day until Christmas)
I plan to organize better in 2014 and should be able to make it to some
local events for a change.

Nice of you to share your expertise, and am sure everybody will have a wonderful time.
It would be great to see you and catch up. I hope you can stop and smell the roses (and the tom yum) soon!

Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
Thanks for the invite - this sounds lovely. Have 3 weeks on the road right before, incl NYC for work, Paris for work + Nuit Blanche, Sharm for a wedding, Florence for 2day fo fun then week of work, then week in LAX for work, so will be trying NOT to fly for a few days at least.
Count me in, perhaps a +1 depending on whether my attempts at romantic endeavours with a 'landlubber' will tolerate this next jaunt or not...
Great! And fingers crossed for your +1 to come along...

Originally Posted by goober153 View Post
Thanks for the invite! This restaurant is amazing, a favorite of my thai roomate. Ill try ti make it!
I hope you can fit it in, and your roomie is definitely welcome too! Someone with real expertise would be a real bonus...

Originally Posted by maltasr View Post
We'd love to attend. Can't tolerate Thai food that is too spicy. Please plan on two guests: Mr. and Mrs. Maltasr. And thank you for taking the time to arrange this.
Glad you can make it! They are really very good about spice level, we have a friend who can tolerate no spiciness at all, and she loves the food here.
hiyo is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 9:59 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Diego
Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 293
Bummer! I'll be in NY that day. Thanks for the invite.
pinguy is offline  
Old Sep 20, 13, 11:50 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SAN
Programs: UA MM Gold
Posts: 1,191
Good news is I live not far from PQ and love Thai.
Bad news is that I'll miss out, flying that day to DXB. Alas.
Next time....
nzpilot is offline  
Old Sep 21, 13, 12:14 am
  #12  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston
Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Posts: 6,529
Sab-E-Lee Thai San Diego (PQ) - Sunday Oct 27

I'll be visiting SD for a conference at that time, would be interested in joining you for dinner! Looks like a great place!

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Sep 21, 13 at 9:22 am
kirkwoodj is offline  
Old Sep 21, 13, 1:54 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Posts: 3,404
i love Thai. We all might as well all go because the government might be shut down in October. I aint flying anywhere after October 5 for a while.
Bowgie is offline  
Old Sep 21, 13, 9:05 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: SAN
Posts: 887
I think we may make it!
emaij is offline  
Old Sep 21, 13, 2:50 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SAN/TIJ or under water.
Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
Posts: 1,879
Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
Bummer! I'll be in NY that day. Thanks for the invite.
Too bad. Hopefully the next gathering will find you in town...

Originally Posted by nzpilot View Post
Good news is I live not far from PQ and love Thai.
Bad news is that I'll miss out, flying that day to DXB. Alas.
Next time....
Sorry we will miss you this time, see you at the next one...

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
I'll be visiting SD for a conference at that time, would be interested in joining you for dinner! Looks like a great place!
Perfect, we would love to have you join the group! It's easy to find the restaurant.

Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
i love Thai. We all might as well all go because the government might be shut down in October. I aint flying anywhere after October 5 for a while.
Haha, okay, see you there!

Originally Posted by emaij View Post
I think we may make it!
It would be really great to see you, emaij! Are you a definite or a maybe and would that be +1 or +2?
hiyo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: