Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
INDIVIDUAL EVENT REGISTRATION

DO DINNER TICKETS

Schedule

AttendeesInbound FlightsAccommodationOutbound Flights

Getting there and getting around
Narita Express (N'EX) | N'EX Tokyo Direct Ticket | N'EX timetable from NRT | N'EX timetable to NRT |Keisei Skyliner | Keisei Skyliner Timetable | Airport Limousine Bus | Access to/from HND | Japan Rail Pass | JR Kanto Area Pass | Using Suica/Pasmo card

Route and station maps
Tokyo Metropolitan Area rail network map | JR East major route map | Tokyo Subway route map | JR Yamanote Line loop | Narita Airport (T1) station map | Narita Airport (T2) station map | Arriving in Shinjuku by Narita Express

Late Registration - Send Private Message to armagebedar, penegal and NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

2nd Japan Do | Tokyo | April 18-20, 2014

Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Day trip 2 - Hakone/Mt Fuji area (Saturday or Sunday)
Just as an FYI, we did this particular trip a few years back. A ton of fun. You end up on a 1) train, 2) another train, 3) funicular, 4) cable car(s), 5) pirate themed ship, 6) bus, 7) train back. And you get to eat volcanic "black eggs"!

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ure_Kanto.html
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
I am thinking of leading the following depending on the level of interest.

Walking tour around Shijuku on Friday - including Shinjuku Gyoen, 'depachika' and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.
Day trip 1 - originally I was thinking of Kamakura on Saturday but I might try somewhere north or northwest of Tokyo using the JR Kanto Area Pass (Saturday or Sunday)
Day trip 2 - Hakone/Mt Fuji area (Saturday or Sunday)
We are much interested in both day trips.

Day trip 1 - We would very much favor to catch a view of the cherryblossoms over Kamakura. But Kamakura will also be ok, I think then a half-day trip would be sufficient?

Day trip 2 - We very much appreciate a trip to Hakone / Mt. Fuji area, because we declared it to one of our top 5 sights during our 12-day-Japan-tour, which starts in Tokio with the 2nd Japan Do.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
May I suggest a combination of Kamakura and Enoshima at one day trip?
Enoshima is nearby Kamakura, reachable also by train and should be very lovely: nice visit to Enishima-jinja (shrine), sea caves and Samuel Cocking Garden....and beaches, if someone is interested in this.

Otherwise: Could it be possible, that we'll find cherryblossoms in Nikko at this time? Its in the north of Tokio and worth a day trip, too.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR
We are much interested in both day trips.

Day trip 1 - We would very much favor to catch a view of the cherryblossoms over Kamakura. But Kamakura will also be ok, I think then a half-day trip would be sufficient?

Day trip 2 - We very much appreciate a trip to Hakone / Mt. Fuji area, because we declared it to one of our top 5 sights during our 12-day-Japan-tour, which starts in Tokio with the 2nd Japan Do.
Enoshima is nearby Kamakura, reachable also by train and should be very lovely: nice visit to Enishima-jinja (shrine), sea caves and Samuel Cocking Garden....and beaches, if someone is interested in this.

Otherwise: Could it be possible, that we'll find cherryblossoms in Nikko at this time? Its in the north of Tokio and worth a day trip, too.
Mid/late-April is a little too late for cherry blossoms in Kamakura - that's why I'm suggesting going north or higher up. Let me do some more research and I'll post possibilities. Also one reason why I hesitate about Nikko and Hakone is both destinations are best reached by private railways and not by JR, so getting there using the JR Kanto Pass may not be the most convenient or efficient.

In normal years mid/late-April is a good time for cherry blossoms in Nikko as well as some parts of Hakone, but as the first Japan Do attendees will remember cherryblossoms were 1-2 weeks early in 2013.

This is what cherry trees in Nikko looked like on 18 April 2013.

I'd better shed my prejudice against Enoshima from a school trip many, many, many years ago.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 29, 2013 at 5:15 am
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Eventbrite registration page is now up at http://japando2014.eventbrite.com

Those who've expressed an interest via the link in OP will also receive an email to that effect. Eventbrite registrations will help us ascertain the numbers for dinner venues etc, and going forward, will form a master list of those definitely attending.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:45 am

I'd better shed my prejudice against Enoshima from a school trip many, many, many years ago.
You should
In April it will be great to visit it again in good company of fellow FTers

I think, we have to keep in mind, that predicting the actual dates and locations of the cherryblossoms isn't easy, so we better stay flexible, if the cherryblossoms are our aim no.1.

Otherwise, my friend an me are open to Hakone-Tour and Kamakura-Tour.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:58 am

You should
In April it will be great to visit it again in good company of fellow FTers

I think, we have to keep in mind, that predicting the actual dates and locations of the cherryblossoms isn't easy, so we better stay flexible, if the cherryblossoms are our aim no.1.

Otherwise, my friend an me are open to Hakone-Tour and Kamakura-Tour.
While lovely, blossoms aren't my #1 interest. The tours sound good to me too.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by SQ421
Eventbrite registration page is now up at http://japando2014.eventbrite.com

Those who've expressed an interest via the link in OP will also receive an email to that effect. Eventbrite registrations will help us ascertain the numbers for dinner venues etc, and going forward, will form a master list of those definitely attending.
This is great but unfortunately I will you be able to attend next year. I wish everybody a great time as I had at the first Japan DO.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:22 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Checking out Enoshima for a possible day trip in April. Raw whitebait and raw shrimp sushi for late lunch - which will be optional in April.

Yes, I'm taking this very seriously.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 27, 2013 at 7:38 am Reason: added a photo ;)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Forgive me if this has already been posted: It looks like the Japanese consumption tax on most stuff including hotel rooms, restaurant bills, etc., will increase from 5% to 8% in April. Everything will seem more expensive.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum
Hey I've been sitting on the sidelines for a while now, but am thinking about coming along. Due to work will probably only be able to make it friday - monday (missing the thursday night event) but otherwise would be keen to see a bit of Japan!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carlousmoochous
Hey I've been sitting on the sidelines for a while now, but am thinking about coming along. Due to work will probably only be able to make it friday - monday (missing the thursday night event) but otherwise would be keen to see a bit of Japan!
Welcome!

Be sure to register via the Eventbrite link in the first post.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Woohoo! It's 2014! Looking forward to another trip to Tokyo!

Also, from lessons learned last year (for some of us...thankfully, I'd booked a hotel well in advance), definitely research hotels sooner rather than later!

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:42 pm
GmK

Programs: A few
I just realised - I'll be in Tokyo during the exact same weekend. Time to talk the +1 into the fact that I might have to re-plan some of our itinerary
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:23 pm

Well with cash and points available for Hyatt I'm definitely in. Wish I could book my flights before the devaluation, but it probably isn't possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.