Search

2014 World Cup Brazil from June 12

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold

Hoping to see some FTers in Brazil.

Earliest chance for *A biz class award seats is via Avianca Lifemiles, outbounds already up now as of today 15 June, see this thread
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Are you organizing a Brazil FT Do to coincide with WC?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

While I won't be joining you guys in J, it would be a pretty awesome first Do for me I guess my only hang up is knowing which city to be in and in what on day (really want to see the US play...provided they actually get that far ha!)
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: all

Book internal flights in advance in Brasil. Depending on which locations you are going you could easily have full day flights with connections. For example Fortaleza to Porto Alegre can take you the full day depending in your connection . Using delta miles on Gol is the best deal 20 k for a round trip or an open jaw anywhere on South America

If you buy internal tickets last minute you may end up paying more than your ticket to Brasil
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card

See you in Rio! My home country of Canada won't be participating, but my mother's country of birth (Germany) will be among the favourites. Already excited.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
Are you organizing a Brazil FT Do to coincide with WC?
Yes but.. we need to wait for the draw in December to work out where people are likely to be at any one time.[And to buy the tickets for internal flights, normally dirt-cheap but perhaps pricier during the tournment.]. I'll be following the Australian team - assuming we qualify after this week's game against Iraq
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by harryhv
Yes but.. we need to wait for the draw in December to work out where people are likely to be at any one time.[And to buy the tickets for internal flights, normally dirt-cheap but perhaps pricier during the tournment.]. I'll be following the Australian team - assuming we qualify after this week's game against Iraq
Sorry but you're encouraging folks to book flights now at the one year mark but aren't organizing an FT Do to coincide with WC for another 6 months? Won't Dec. be too late for some to start organizing events and lining up hotels?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I will be there (if I find an award).
Mainly fly AA, so hope to get a coach award on AA to other than RIO/SP, but I see that May 2014 has no milesaaver, just anytime.
Maybe with LAN? TAM?
Maybe flying to LIM, then connection.
I have UR, so transfer to United (I have no status), maybe COPA.

I want to go for the first week.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:39 am

I am a Spanish Fan. But tonight was totally frustrating for me. Spain was outclassed for the 1st time in the Last 7-8 years. Hard to see that. But We will bounce Back definitely & very Soon.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:43 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
The purpose of this thread is to discuss Flyertalkers meeting up in Brazil for the World Cup in 2014.

Any other comments outside of this will be deleted.

Thanks for sticking to topic,

Willie
co mod CommunityBuzz
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Getting home

As Australia isn't a great chance to make the finals we have been looking at some routes home mid-tournament.

a. to Australia
The $2,300 LAN one-way business fare from regional Brazil to Australia is still there for the World Cup period. You can find it on Expedia or Orbitz - select a city like IGU (Iguacu) or SSA (Salvador), to SYD or even PER. If nothing comes up, try multi-city SSA-SCL, SCL-PER. Stopover SCL is ok. Lowest is the midweek price to PER at $2,299. In fact if you're headed to the East Coast you could buy the PER ticket, route yourself thru SYD or MEL and dismount. No need to short-check, your bags are delivered for customs.

b. to the USA
Awards are scarce but the rather awful MAO (Manaus)-MIA flight on American is wide open and biz fares are cheap. For example you can buy a one-way biz class fare MAO-LAX for $1200. Immigration in MIA (ugh) and US domestic F seating thoughout.

c. to Europe
There's the odd *A award seat in "business" on China Airlines from GRU to MAD, and on to other European destinations.

d. to Asia
Award on China Airlines award via Madrid, or go via PER on the LAN fare above

If you don't mind Y class, Singapore airlines GRU-BCN-SIN is wide open for awards. If you are using lifemiles.com and buying miles, it will cost you under $1,000 one-way in Y to most places SQ flies to.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Opening Sarah money do in Rio Jun 12?

Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but you're encouraging folks to book flights now at the one year mark but aren't organizing an FT Do to coincide with WC for another 6 months? Won't Dec. be too late for some to start organizing events and lining up hotels?
Well after the opening ceremony everyone will be scattering to whichever cities have their team's games.

How about a do in Rio to watch the opening ceremony & first game on TV? The actual game is in Sao Paulo but I don't expect many FTers will get tickets. That's Thu June 12th.

Hotels in Rio are hard to find for that time. Most hotels sold all their rooms to FIFA. We are in the Mercure Botafogo as they are still taking bookings. But we could do the do on Copacabana beach or any place they have big screens.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: MP 1P, QF Silver, WN CP, HH Diamond, PC Spire, SBUX Gold
Counting chickens before they hatch

Originally Posted by harryhv
As Australia isn't a great chance to make the finals we have been looking at some routes home mid-tournament.
I made the mistake in Germany 2006 thinking Oz wouldn't make it out of the group stage so I thought I had time to visit extended family in Asia before flying back home. Requested the captain to announce score updates for the Italian game every 15 mins (which the captain was going to do anyway). My mates that stayed said I missed out.

As far as the Brazil DO I like the idea of meeting in SP for the opening game and Rio for the Final. It obviously depend on the draw and where my teams are going to be playing. (fingers cross on getting tickets too )
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
NH J Award BOOKED :)

Mrs. ariyo15 and I are all booked up for our "main flights" to spend three weeks hopping around South America. Here's our award (90k in J)...

LAX-IAH-EZE (UA J)
EZE-GRU (TK J)
LIM-CUZ (TA J)
CUZ-LIM-IAH-LAX (TA/UA J)

Not sure yet how we're going to get around Brazil, but the plan is to do three games - one in each of the three cities we'll visit - in Rio, Sao Paolo and Salvador. Would love to meet up with some FTers down there though...

DO it up!!!!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Copacabana Do 12 June

Hoping Australia is drawn in the second half of the draw on Dec 6th, group E, F, G, or H, then we will be able to spend June 12 in Rio.

Chances are they will have a big screen on Copacabana beach for the opening game, and there will be a colossal party. Recent parties on the beach have attracted phenomenal crowds: 1 million (New Year's Eve), 2 million (the Pope), and 3 million (Rolling Stones concert).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.