FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Impromptu Super Bowl XLVII DO, Istanbul, 2/3-4, 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1432567-impromptu-super-bowl-xlvii-do-istanbul-2-3-4-2013-a.html)

zcat18 Jan 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Impromptu Super Bowl XLVII DO, Istanbul, 2/3-4, 2013

Hey all,

Wanted to invite anybody who is taking advantage of the low IST fares next weekend to watch the Super Bowl at the Port Shield Pub [note: it is not North Shield as advertised, but is actually called Port Shield] in Sultanahmet, just a few steps from the Hagia Sophia. Kickoff will be at 1:30 a.m. local time, so I'll probably plan on showing up at about midnight in order to secure a good seat (I've heard that the Port Shield gets pretty packed for the Super Bowl).

Here is the address:

Alemdar Mah.
Yerebatan Cad., #13
Sultanahmet, Istanbul

You can take the tram to the Gulhane stop, and the North Shield is just across the street.

UPDATE:

I will be staying at the Alzer Hotel in Sultanahmet--in the square across the street from the Blue Mosque--which is about a five-minute walk from the pub. Why don't we meet in the lobby of the Alzer at 11:45 p.m. and head over as a group?

*The Port Shield Pub (mistakenly called the North Shield in advertising materials) WILL be showing the Super Bowl. Many thanks to gopackjo for doing some on-the-ground advance recon! Let's still plan on meeting at the Alzer at 11:45 and heading to the venue from there. Safe travels, everyone!

Attendees:

Confirmed:

zcat18
Sithlord
gopackjo
bschaff1 (outbound flight only)

Maybe:

EmpireStateofMind

No-Can-Do:

Sweet Willie

gopackjo Jan 29, 2013 9:08 am

Ok, I'm in!

Just booked the ORD-IST mileage run returning Monday afternoon with an overnight in Paris on the way home.

Just a note to everybody. I believe that the Tram/Metro stops running from Midnight to 6:00am. So arriving early is a good idea for a few reasons.

Now, if only my Packers were still in there. :p

zcat18 Jan 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by gopackjo (Post 20145899)
Ok, I'm in!

Just booked the ORD-IST mileage run returning Monday afternoon with an overnight in Paris on the way home.

Just a note to everybody. I believe that the Tram/Metro stops running from Midnight to 6:00am. So arriving early is a good idea for a few reasons.

Nice! ...and good call regarding the tram. I'll probably try to stay in or near Sultanahmet so that I can easily walk to and from North Shield. My Bucs didn't sniff the SB this year, either, but the IstanBowl should still be a good time!

gopackjo Jan 30, 2013 9:58 am

Yeah. That was my theory as well. Staying in Sultanahmet.

What we really need is 24 hour public transportation in Istanbul. Especially those of us that have that 5:55am KLM flight out. I hate paying for taxis! :mad:

shoeflyer Jan 30, 2013 10:03 am

Ended up at the North Shield in 2011 and watched the Ohio State-Michigan game. The place is not that big, so indeed getting there early is a good idea. I stayed at the Hotel Erboy right down Ebussuut Cadessi, 2 blocks from the Shield, and can endorse it as a nice place to stay for not much money. But there are a slew of hotels in that 2 block area right around the Gulhane tram stop.

zcat18 Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by gopackjo (Post 20152935)
Yeah. That was my theory as well. Staying in Sultanahmet.

What we really need is 24 hour public transportation in Istanbul. Especially those of us that have that 5:55am KLM flight out. I hate paying for taxis! :mad:

5:55, ouch! At least you're breaking things up with a Paris overnight. I just made a reservation at Hotel Alzer, which is about two blocks from the pub.

zcat18 Jan 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Grrr...double post, sorry. Phone posting is a pain.

Sweet Willie Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm

munching on some lahmacun & watching the game w/some FTers, sounds fun as IST is a great city. I won't be able to attend as I've got a snowmobile/hunting weekend planed.

HAVE FUN !

Go 49ers !!!!! (I don't really care for the 49ers just do not want the P.O.S. Lewis to win)

EmpireStateOfMind Jan 30, 2013 2:26 pm

zcat --- thanks for this post. It might push me over the edge for the IST MR. Pleasant memories of watching the "Rain Bowl" Colts win in Brussels a few years back until 5am. Quick question - does anyone know if the movie theater underneath the Ritz-Carlton IST is still in operation? Easily the best movie theater in the world, big fluffy couches and drinks hand-delivered to you. I was dreaming the SB would be shown there.

zcat18 Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by EmpireStateOfMind (Post 20154815)
zcat --- thanks for this post. It might push me over the edge for the IST MR. Pleasant memories of watching the "Rain Bowl" Colts win in Brussels a few years back until 5am. Quick question - does anyone know if the movie theater underneath the Ritz-Carlton IST is still in operation? Easily the best movie theater in the world, big fluffy couches and drinks hand-delivered to you. I was dreaming the SB would be shown there.

Thanks, EmpireStateOfMind! Would be wonderful to have you there. This will be my second Super Bowl in IST, and indeed it is a fantastic place to watch football. Unfortunately, I have no idea regarding the status of the Ritz, but if that theater is indeed showing the SB, then we can absolutely change the plans. I will probably post on Saturday morning suggesting a rendezvous spot for any FT people who will be coming to this, so that we can all walk over to the bar together.

Also, Sweet Willie, always great to have your "blessing" on one of these informal Do's. Always fun seeing you in Chicago, but perhaps we'll cross paths outside the U.S. borders sometime!

Sweet Willie Jan 31, 2013 7:15 am

Originally Posted by zcat18 (Post 20157473)
.... but perhaps we'll cross paths outside the U.S. borders sometime!

would like to, BTW, sent you a PM in re: to IST, have a doc you might be interested in.

zcat18 Feb 1, 2013 11:42 am

Folks, I've updated the original post with a tentative meetup plan and attendee list. Looking forward to heading to IST tomorrow!

yareni Feb 1, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello everyone

I am in istambul with my boyfriend and We were looking for a place to watch the game. After reading your post We stopped by the pub just to confirm they were transmiting the game and a waitress told us they were not. We May stop by again tomorrow to Ask again, but meanwhile are you positive we can watch the game there?

We hope We can :)

Thanks

zcat18 Feb 1, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for doing the recon! I've been in IST on Super Bowl weekend before, and this place was showing the game. I also e-mailed them, but the response was unclear and likely lost in translation. I know that the Hilton shows the game, but that is out near the airport.

Another option might be to do a Super Bowl party in someone's hotel room (I'm happy to offer mine but have to verify that we can get the game on the channels offered at that hotel).

Originally Posted by yareni (Post 20167918)
Hello everyone

I am in istambul with my boyfriend and We were looking for a place to watch the game. After reading your post We stopped by the pub just to confirm they were transmiting the game and a waitress told us they were not. We May stop by again tomorrow to Ask again, but meanwhile are you positive we can watch the game there?

We hope We can :)

Thanks

shoeflyer Feb 1, 2013 2:12 pm

I do believe there is more than one North Shield pub, so perhaps not all locations are showing the game. If my memory serves me correctly, the one at Gulhane had all the games they were going to televise on the wall outside the pub (most of them are European soccer matches), so hopefully the Super Bowl is listed there. Good luck!