FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   President's Day Do in Dublin, Feb. 16-18, 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1415050-presidents-day-do-dublin-feb-16-18-2013-a.html)

zcat18 Dec 7, 2012 12:05 pm

President's Day Do in Dublin, Feb. 16-18, 2013

Just gauging interest at this point:

Would anyone be interested in an Irish beer and pub-grub-focused FT get together? I'm envisioning, essentially, a 30-hour pub crawl. Nothing fancy or upscale--just a good, old fashioned weekend bender with good company.

United is having a fare sale with roundrips hovering around $700 from Chicago and the East Coast.

Please post in this thread if this is something you might attend, and if it piques enough people's interest, we'll make this a planning thread.

Cheers!

lsk5013 Dec 9, 2012 4:58 pm

You can count me in for some of the pub crawl! Not sure I want to spend 30hrs drinking as it will be my first time in Dublin...need to see SOME sights and sounds. :D

That said, I actually took advantage of the Delta fare awhile ago for $387 out of JFK. I'll be there 15th-18th.

Hope others join in. Cheers!

zcat18 Dec 9, 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by lsk5013 (Post 19825649)
You can count me in for some of the pub crawl! Not sure I want to spend 30hrs drinking as it will be my first time in Dublin...need to see SOME sights and sounds. :D

That said, I actually took advantage of the Delta fare awhile ago for $387 out of JFK. I'll be there 15th-18th.

Hope others join in. Cheers!

Great! There was definitely some hyperbole in my original post. I've been to Dublin before, and it is certainly worth taking in the sights. The drinking and pubbing is certainly quite optional. The company is far more important than the medication, so to speak!

Glad to hear that you're in! I'm going to confirm my bookings tonight or first thing tomorrow, and we'll say that it's on. I have some personal friends who are in on this, as well, so there will be good folks there. Once I've got flights and hotels confirmed, I'll post here. Would be fun to maybe make this an annual thing if it works out this time around.

StevenC. Dec 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Sounds like fun!

Tentative to come. Depends if I end up having to be in San Antonio or not that week/end.

SkiAdcock Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am

I'd love to attend a Dublin Do at some point, but unfortunately I'm the organizer of the Annual London President's Weekend Do so can't make a Dublin one if it's the same weekend.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...18-2013-a.html

I do know a few years ago GoldCircle had organized a Dublin Do on Prez Weekend. Sounded like it was a total blast, and I even received a birthday call in London from some of the Dublin attendees :)

Cheers.

Sweet Willie Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm

oh man, sounds like a blast, sadly I know I won't be able to attend as I've got family plans.

Have fun !!

cat13 Dec 12, 2012 10:33 am

zcat18

I was justin Dublin. Let me know if you need any pub recommendations.

rclark Dec 12, 2012 3:33 pm

I assume, since it's for President's Day, this is for Americans living abroad in Ireland? Or are you wanting everyone to attend who can?

zcat18 Dec 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by rclark (Post 19845376)
I assume, since it's for President's Day, this is for Americans living abroad in Ireland? Or are you wanting everyone to attend who can?

It's for anyone to attend who wants to. I'm planning on using it as a MR opportunity (well, maybe not a pure MR since I'll be on the ground a little less than 48 hours).

Originally Posted by Ski Adcock
I'd love to attend a Dublin Do at some point, but unfortunately I'm the organizer of the Annual London President's Weekend Do so can't make a Dublin one if it's the same weekend.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...18-2013-a.html

I do know a few years ago GoldCircle had organized a Dublin Do on Prez Weekend. Sounded like it was a total blast, and I even received a birthday call in London from some of the Dublin attendees

Cheers.

If this one is reasonably well attended, and if there is interest in resurrecting an annual Dublin Do, then we will definitely move it to a weekend where there isn't a well-established London get-together from now on! Thanks for the heads-up and hope to see you next time!

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
oh man, sounds like a blast, sadly I know I won't be able to attend as I've got family plans.

Have fun !!

Thanks! A shame you can't make it, but no worries--next time!

Originally Posted by cat13
I was justin Dublin. Let me know if you need any pub recommendations.

Thanks--will do!

SkiAdcock Dec 13, 2012 9:54 am

You might want to PM GoldCircle who organized the Dublin Do a few years ago & is a local for some suggestions as well.

Hope to make it in the future if it's held on a different date.

Cheers.

1P Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Would have really liked to do this, but fly to the US on the 17th for a meeting on the 18th. :(

zcat18 Dec 21, 2012 8:31 am

Bad news, folks. My company rearranged the 2013 holiday schedule this week and is now giving us July 5 instead of President's Day off. This means that I will have to table this idea, since I simply will not be able to get to Dublin that weekend. This may be for the best, since I felt bad "competing" with SkiAdcock's traditional birthday Do, but let's keep this in mind for the next time there is a fare sale to DUB. I'm sorry for any let-down, and best wishes to all for a happy holiday!