Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

If FlyerTalk Had Its Own Seminar Events, Would You Attend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: FlyerTalk Seminars: Would You Attend Them?
Yes, and I would pay a fee to attend.
55.32%
Yes, but I would not pay a fee to attend.
30.09%
No.
7.90%
I do not know or am not sure.
6.69%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:08 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

This exploratory discussion with a poll is in conjunction with the initial findings posted at The Gate regarding the potential demand for seminars by FlyerTalk — whether as one major event every year or every other year, or perhaps smaller events at key locations around the world.

Sample topics could include but not be limited to:
  • How to use MyFlyerTalk and other functions of FlyerTalk designed for efficiency and time savings
  • How to decipher the cryptic discussion of “tricking” and negotiating special savings and “fuel dumps”
  • FlyerTalk 101: a basic primer for the new or inexperienced user
  • Moderators, TalkBoard members and Ambassadors: What are their roles and how can they be of assistance to you?
  • What is a “mileage run” and how to use the tools available on FlyerTalk to construct one to your benefit
  • Technical sessions: how to search on FlyerTalk, how to perform functions such as multi-quote, add a signature, formatting what you post on FlyerTalk, etc.
  • The tone of FlyerTalk: how can it be improved?
  • Presentation sessions by the “bloggers” of Frugal Travel Guy, FrequentFlier.com and — of course — The Gate
  • All about FlyerTalk features in-depth, such as FlightConnect, LoungeConnect, live chat, photo gallery and calendars for gatherings of FlyerTalk members
If FlyerTalk held its own seminars, would you attend? Please participate in the simple poll above, and please elaborate your opinions, thoughts and suggestions in this discussion.

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Great ideas there. I see things broken into 2 tracks:

1 - Functionality/mechanics of the FlyerTalk site and features
2 - Informational seminars for things such as Milage Runs, maximizing credit cards, etc.

I'd think this would be a coveted audience so sponsorships could cover the costs so I voted no to paying, but I wouldn't be opposed to a small fee to cover expenses.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Great ideas there. I see things broken into 2 tracks:

1 - Functionality/mechanics of the FlyerTalk site and features
2 - Informational seminars for things such as Milage Runs, maximizing credit cards, etc.

I'd think this would be a coveted audience so sponsorships could cover the costs so I voted no to paying, but I wouldn't be opposed to a small fee to cover expenses.
I feel exactly the same way. Would love to attend and would help pay expenses but would be opposed to someone making money from sharing information.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Originally Posted by weather
I feel exactly the same way. Would love to attend and would help pay expenses but would be opposed to someone making money from sharing information.
Agree as somebody who spends most of my time in the Miles and Points forums it would be great to hear about the additional forums and how the FT community is leveraging those conversations.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I would actually be willing to give a presentation too. I love public speaking. However, and this is a must, would have to be a Friday evening or any time at the weekend. Justifying time off work to attend an event like this would not be easy.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Nov 14, 2012 at 2:42 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:45 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A great thread ^ and I would be very interested in not only attending but also volunteering* (and perhaps if (n.b. if) the overhead is covered, any remaining fund could be donated to charity?)

*don't know about speaking unless folks really want to know the science about giving out Tootsie-Pops® (tho in reality, it's all about spreading smiles)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
One word: Webinar. Could make it much easier to attend and great format for some of topics listed in the first post. Other topics lend themselves to live settings, of course.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:11 pm

Great idea !

Where and When ?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'm confused... doesn't this already exist?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by abaheti
One word: Webinar.
+1 - You beat me to it

I work on weekends and wouldn't be able to go on those days.

Webinar would also offer the ability to wideo-podcast for those who were not able to attend or watch the live session.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Live Seminar + Cold Adult Beverage

Originally Posted by abaheti
One word: Webinar. Could make it much easier to attend and great format for some of topics listed in the first post. Other topics lend themselves to live settings, of course.
I hear what you are saying but the advantage of having a live seminar is that it can be tied in with a DO also. More of us would meet each other and a few cold adult beverages can also be enjoyed.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:18 am

Another vote for webinar, and . . .

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
+1 - You beat me to it . . . .
I would prefer it NOT devolve into a "look at all the wonderful results I had type of presentation".

Taking off on a momen'ts notice in order to accrue X amount of points requires an initial availability of $$$ and time. I for one do not have the available $$$ or money that a number of other FTers have, nor do I have the benefit of living in/near a major airline hub [sob] so - show/demonstrate the tools, definitely give examples letting us know what potential benefits exist, and then let us plug in our own time and money factors concerning how often something can be done.

PS - and, I think the FIRST session should be on improving the tone of FT.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
As with other frequent traveler seminars, I'd be interested in attending if the location and timing worked out. (I've never made one, since they always seem to be on weekends when I have other plans).

I wouldn't mind paying; if I have to travel to attend, the travel costs would likely dwarf the attendance fee anyway.

Personally, I'd be more interested in the travel topics than the FT-site sessions; after a decade here, I think I know how to use the site. But that's just me...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I guess that depends on the fee...?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:15 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Arrow Clarification

I just want to be clear that this is not an idea proposed by Internet Brands, the company which owns FlyerTalk. However, I believe that key people at Internet Brands are aware of this discussion. Nothing is “set in stone” pertaining to this proposed idea, so please be creative and come up with your own suggestions on what would be ideal for you, as FlyerTalk members have been doing.

Because I have been involved in organizing FlyerTalk events in the past — such as the 2010 Delta Air Lines FlyerTalk Event, for example — it would be naďve to ignore that there would be costs involved that may or may not be covered by sponsors. That is the main reason for the question about fees.

Webinars is certainly a potentially good idea and can indeed be integrated with the proposed concept, but I would have to agree with the following statement:
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I hear what you are saying but the advantage of having a live seminar is that it can be tied in with a DO also. More of us would meet each other and a few cold adult beverages can also be enjoyed.
Having now met hundreds of FlyerTalk members in person, I can say from personal experience that nothing can replace face-to-face contact — even at a seminar.
Originally Posted by travis bickle
I would prefer it NOT devolve into a "look at all the wonderful results I had type of presentation".
I completely agree.
Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
I guess that depends on the fee...?
There you go, ThereYaGo.

What would be reasonable for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.