Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:17 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
Of course we will. The simple fact that I am going to be there is proof that we have no standards at all.
If we're going to let this Jew, who had no Bar Mitzvah and enjoys the occasional bacon cheeseburger and a milkshake, then we have to let in everyone!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
If we're going to let this Jew, who had no Bar Mitzvah and enjoys the occasional bacon cheeseburger and a milkshake, then we have to let in everyone!
Get ready for some news: Your bar mitzvah was every bit as kosher as that of the most Orthodox rabbi in the world.

It is common to refer to the ceremony in a synagogue as a "bar mitzvah" -- or even the party afterwards -- but in reality the term applies to any Jewish boy on his 13th birthday, even if he has never said a single prayer.

The ceremony in the synagogue is actually called an "aliya l'torah". It means that you are called up to read the Torah and is a traditional honor to welcome visiting Jewish strangers as well as boys who just became bar mitzvah (which means "a son of the Covenant").

(Well, literally it means "a son of the good deed" -- but is understood to mean "a son of the Covenant".)

But you are right in your main point -- we certainly will let any FTer join us, and be happy to have him or her there. Of course, his chances of getting a bacon cheeseburger and a milkshake in a kosher deli are rather remote.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I would love to go to this event and spin the dreidel with yall, but I'll be busy getting ready for finals in SLC

-J.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I would love to go to this event and spin the dreidel with yall, but I'll be busy getting ready for finals in SLC

-J.
The meet will only last a couple of hours at the most. You can study on the flights in and out of SLC.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:03 am

Put me as a maybe; I always love a trip to the Deli. But that's too far away to know where I'll be or what I'll be doing to commit.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Put me as a maybe; I always love a trip to the Deli. But that's too far away to know where I'll be or what I'll be doing to commit.
You are now on the list.

Actually, "Definite" this early does not really mean "definite" -- it means "I will probably be there but who the heck knows what will happen between now and Dec 11?"

I live across the street from Lebanon and everybody and his brother is talking about another war. I can't swear that I will make it to NYC in December.

(For that matter, given my smoking, my love of bacon cheeseburgers, and the fact that I had a quadruple by pass several years ago, and the insanity of drivers on Israeli roads, I can't even swear that I will make it to December, much less to NYC.)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Please place me on the Definite list for lunch, but not for dinner.

It has been years since I have had Levys rye bread, which was probably the best packaged store-bought rye bread. They must have gone out of business.

Of course, Pechters is better than Levys...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
You are now on the list.

(Canarsie will be flying up from ATL for the Do and has to return that evening. Hence, dinner is impossible for him. There is one other person who also might fly in and fly out in the evening. With that in mind, I am setting this as a lunch meet.

(I certainly hope that ShopAround can work it out to join us for lunch.)
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Mark me down as a probable.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Mark me down as a probable.
Right now we don't have a "probable" list (that might change in the future) but I was happy to put you on the "possible" list.

With 12 people already expressing interest (very surprising for this far out) and so many FTers living in the New York area, ysolde may find himself visiting the restaurant much earlier than expected to make reservations for quite a large group.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:09 pm

I just had to look at the menu right now. I mean, I really had to do that right now?!?

I plan on ordering an extra-lean pastrami sandwich on rye bread with plenty of deli mustard, half of a potato knish, half of a potato latke, a bowl of matzoh ball soup with lukshon and carrots, sour and half-sour pickles, and a Dr. Brown’s cream soda with no ice for lunch on December 11 if someone is willing to share the knish and the potato latke with me.

Now I am really hungry — serves me right...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
I just had to look at the menu right now. I mean, I really had to do that right now?!?

I plan on ordering an extra-lean pastrami sandwich on rye bread with plenty of deli mustard, half of a potato knish, half of a potato latke, a bowl of matzoh ball soup with lukshon and carrots, sour and half-sour pickles, and a Dr. Browns cream soda with no ice for lunch on December 11 if someone is willing to share the knish and the potato latke with me.

Now I am really hungry serves me right...
I wrote down your order, it would be $20+ 700 for the delivery
But no soup for you, the TSA determined it is a security threat...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by DLroads
I wrote down your order, it would be $20+ 700 for the delivery
But no soup for you, the TSA determined it is a security threat...
...and you live in New York?!?

The sandwich alone will cost $20.00, including tax and gratuity.

As for the soup, if the knaidlach is firm and dense enough to not only bend a spoon when attempting to cut into it but also give a concussion after hitting someone’s head when thrown — which is just the way I like it and forget about those wimpy fluffy lighter-than-air versions — the Transportation Security Administration agents will likely think twice before harassing me...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

It has been years since I have had Levys rye bread, which was probably the best packaged store-bought rye bread. They must have gone out of business.

Of course, Pechters is better than Levys...
I think I saw levys not too long ago, and perhaps pechters too. I can send a care package if you're desperate, heck, I freeze and send real bagel ps to Hawaii regularly. A few loaves of bread is no big deal
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I think I saw levys not too long ago, and perhaps pechters too. I can send a care package if you're desperate, heck, I freeze and send real bagel ps to Hawaii regularly. A few loaves of bread is no big deal
You are sweet. Thank you.

My preference, however, would be bialies from Bell, manufactured in that neighborhood in Brooklyn known as Canarsie.

After some research, I found out that Levy’s was acquired by Arnold’s, which still manufactures different varieties of Jewish rye bread today. I can get that here in the Atlanta area.

This one is for the Dovster, however: Arnold’s — as well as Entenmann’s, Sara Lee and other major bakery brands in the United States — is owned by the Mexican conglomerate Bimbo Bakeries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.