Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December

Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:57 am

Isn't there a kosher deli kind of place in the Fashion district somewhere?

Definitely very heimish there, even if it's not deli.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Dov - IIRC, the only true kosher deli left in NYC, that also cures it's own meats, is the Mill Basin Deli in Brooklyn. I'm lucky to have grown up eating that food.

It is unlikely anyone will want to make the trek to it in the middle of the day.
There is a great place called Adelman's Kosher Deli on Kings Highway and E. 19th St in Brooklyn.

I found it by luck a couple of years ago. It is a small, Mom & Pop type deli, but the walls are covered with Brooklyn Dodgers memorabilia. Dodger baseball cards, Dodger pictures, Dodger shirts, and Dodger pennants are all over the place (as is a picture of Ebbets Field).

The one exception is a large picture of Jumpin' Joe DiMaggio at bat.

But you are right -- very few people would want to make the trek, so I didn't suggest it as one of the possible places.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Dov - IIRC, the only true kosher deli left in NYC, that also cures it's own meats, is the Mill Basin Deli in Brooklyn. I'm lucky to have grown up eating that food.

It is unlikely anyone will want to make the trek to it in the middle of the day.
Canarsie is just across the Paerdegat Basin to the east of Mill Basin, and I used to go to Mill Basin Kosher Delicatessen often.

Their food is amongst the best, but it is unfortunately not easy to get to its location on Avenue T using currently existing public transportation options.

If we did have lunch there, however, a fresh steaming hot bialy from Bell would be in order...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It was around the corner from my house. Between it, and the pizzaria, I was happily set for food.

mmm Bell's. I am now having a bialy craving.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Mr. Broadway

In midtown there is Mr. Broadway on 38th and Broadway, which is strictly Kosher and offers a full old style deli menu (their cole slaw is out of this world). It also has chinese and a sushi bar as well as Israeli meats and schwarma. There is of course over stuffed deli sandwiches.

They have a private room plus the main dining area. The ambiance was old world deli, however they just finished a major renovation which made it more modern but they still kept the vinyl couch seating in the main room.

It is my obligatory NYC stop when I come in and I will be there next week for supper.

Might be worth a consideration
Old Oct 23, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG DL
Second Ave Deli - First Ave location

While Mr. Broadway does meet the Hecher, located in Midtown it does not make for a comfortable sitting and schmoozing atmosphere. There is a second location of the Second Ave. Deli, at First Ave and 75th. Street. Less crowded, and a bit away from midtown (but across the street from where I live). I'm out of the country till Nov 10, but happy to inquire if nothing else seems to be working.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by badatz
In midtown there is Mr. Broadway on 38th and Broadway, which is strictly Kosher and offers a full old style deli menu (their cole slaw is out of this world). It also has chinese and a sushi bar as well as Israeli meats and schwarma. There is of course over stuffed deli sandwiches.

They have a private room plus the main dining area. The ambiance was old world deli, however they just finished a major renovation which made it more modern but they still kept the vinyl couch seating in the main room.

It is my obligatory NYC stop when I come in and I will be there next week for supper.

Might be worth a consideration
Somehow, I can't quite see sushi and Chinese food helping provide the traditional NYC kosher deli experience. The same, of course, is true for Israeli meats and schwarma (in fact, those are specifically what I am looking to escape from).

Originally Posted by fbnewyork
While Mr. Broadway does meet the Hecher, located in Midtown it does not make for a comfortable sitting and schmoozing atmosphere. There is a second location of the Second Ave. Deli, at First Ave and 75th. Street. Less crowded, and a bit away from midtown (but across the street from where I live). I'm out of the country till Nov 10, but happy to inquire if nothing else seems to be working.
Seeing as we have people coming from all over, it seems to me that Midtown is actually the best location (although I can certainly see why you would prefer 75th Street.

That said, in regards to Mr. Broadway, Second Ave, Ben's, and any other place that might be suitable, I am going to leave that up to ysolde, after she speaks to the various managers. I don't think she can really do that yet, as we still need to firm up the number of people who will be coming, but I hope that she can start making inquiries on Nov 11, a month before the Do.

As far as I am concerned, the important factors are:

1. A NYC kosher deli atmosphere (even if it is not glatt kosher).

2. A convenient location.

3. Their willingness to reserve tables for us (and, if possible, a private room).

4. Timing: It must be lunch, not dinner.

5. Their agreement to give each person his own bill (and to allow each person to order whatever he wants). Restaurants often try to avoid these for several reasons -- chiefly to make it both easier and more profitable for them -- but if they can handle 20 people who walk in off the street in this way they can handle 20 who arrive together.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
I'll try to schlep down to NYC.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adrouault
I'll try to schlep down to NYC.
I hope you can make the schlep and I am putting you on the "possible" list.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
So long as ability to converse in Hebrew and or Yiddish not required ( I can muddle through the menu most likely), count me 95% in if we stay in Midtown/UWS. I won't be able to get away from work if we end up in Brooklyn.

It would be great to meet Dovster & a toast as a thanks for the consult on my first trip to Israel.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travellingcari
So long as ability to converse in Hebrew and or Yiddish not required ( I can muddle through the menu most likely), count me 95% in if we stay in Midtown/UWS. I won't be able to get away from work if we end up in Brooklyn.

It would be great to meet Dovster & a toast as a thanks for the consult on my first trip to Israel.
At 95% certain, you qualified for the "definite" list. It took me a while, however, to figure out that you were not saying that you would only attend if it were held in Manhattan or the University of Wisconsin (Washington?).

I think that Brooklyn would be a problem for quite a few people but we can't dismiss the possibility that we will wind up in the Lower East Side. About 100 years ago, Yiddish would have been required there but I suspect that most of the locals have picked up some English since then.

It would be great meeting you, too!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
whoops sorry

Originally Posted by Dovster
At 95% certain, you qualified for the "definite" list. It took me a while, however, to figure out that you were not saying that you would only attend if it were held in Manhattan or the University of Wisconsin (Washington?).

I think that Brooklyn would be a problem for quite a few people but we can't dismiss the possibility that we will wind up in the Lower East Side. About 100 years ago, Yiddish would have been required there but I suspect that most of the locals have picked up some English since then.

It would be great meeting you, too!
LES likely doable if it's quiet enough in the office. Will depend on a work event that will hopefully not be that week since it will conflict with Hannukah & impact our numbers. Brooklyn is the only no go work wise, no matter how yummy.

Sorry for confusion stemming from lazy NYC short hand. Promise to behave
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
If I'm in the city, I would love to meet you all. Put me down as a maybe. I promise to stay away from the kosher wine, so as to keep the P/R stuff to a minimum
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notsosmart
If I'm in the city, I would love to meet you all. Put me down as a maybe. I promise to stay away from the kosher wine, so as to keep the P/R stuff to a minimum
You're now on the "possible" list. In about 10 days I am going to ask everyone to firm up their answers if possible, so that ysolde will have a better idea of what she is talking about when she speaks to the delis' managers.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:49 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Dovster
In about 10 days I am going to ask everyone to firm up their answers if possible, so that ysolde will have a better idea of what she is talking about when she speaks to the delis' managers.
Please count me as definitely attending.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.