Austin Mega Do 2.5 - March 1-3, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by jackal
Barbecue travels well.@:-)

Are you going to bring a cooler full of salmon down to share, then?
Mrs. Mackie would shank someone for some of that salmon.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Mrs. Mackie would shank someone for some of that salmon.
IMO beckoa would certainly bring some fresh-caught salmon in that cooler he is bringing to take back lots of Texas protein to Alaska but the question with him always will be "what is his routing?"

If he is coming to AUS via HNL and PHL as I suspect, I do not think that the fish will be able to hold up during the journey. However, he may have been unlucky when planning the trip and end up with a routing that is less complex so you might be in luck.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by monitor
IMO beckoa would certainly bring some fresh-caught salmon in that cooler he is bringing to take back lots of Texas protein to Alaska but the question with him always will be "what is his routing?"

If he is coming to AUS via HNL and PHL as I suspect, I do not think that the fish will be able to hold up during the journey. However, he may have been unlucky when planning the trip and end up with a routing that is less complex so you might be in luck.
No over big water this time. Visits to MCI & DCA are on order.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:51 pm

bbq

Originally Posted by BOB W
It's a bit of a drive to City Market in Lulling, but......

Just sayin'
Much shorter trip to Rudy's and better food in my opinion
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dil345
Much shorter trip to Rudy's and better food in my opinion
I'm sorry, what's it like to be broken?

Rudy's is, at best, pedestrian barbecue. Mass produced for highest efficiencies and far from the best quality. To rank Rudy's higher than City Market is akin to saying I would prefer a Ford over a Ferrari, or anything over cake. It's simply mind boggling.

My well researched and clearly scientific survey from our regular group that enjoys BBQ Thursday produced results that indicate the folks who did not grow up in this area think Rudy's is the bee's knees, while those of us who were privileged to enjoy our younger years in the Great State of Texas™ find Rudy's to be corporate chain barbecue of a specific and lower tier than that which is offered by some of the more venerable institutions in the area, of which City Market is certainly a part.

Thus, I feel it has more to do with where you grew up and the types of foods available there than an actual measurement of quality. Those of us who grew up here are naturally inclined to know which is better.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:29 pm

I don't know many of you but I'll be joining for the BBQ dinner at Franklin. I'll have a friend with me as we are in town that weekend for the Grand Am race out at Circuit of the Americas. ^
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
I don't know many of you but I'll be joining for the BBQ dinner at Franklin. I'll have a friend with me as we are in town that weekend for the Grand Am race out at Circuit of the Americas. ^
Yeah, you guys drove up all our hotel prices.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, IHG
Now that I'm finally catching up on this (and after realizing it's in less than two weeks), I'm now booked at the Hyatt Regency for Friday-Sunday. I'll probably arrive too late for the margaritas Friday night but should be able to make dinner at 7.

Really looking forward to meeting everyone!

ETA: If anyone has some spare RPUs they won't be using, I'd be happy to pick up your bar tab one night in thanks for your generosity. (And yes, I do realize that's a very potentially wallet-draining proposition with this crowd!) I'm just really not looking forward to spending time in the back of UA's bus these days...

Last edited by hausrath; Feb 18, 2013 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can you believe that the months of waiting are over and we have just a tad more than a week before we kick off the 2013 Austin Mega Do? I can't, and I've been planning for nearly a year. I've posted some of what I hope is helpful information on ausmegado.com for your arrival into Austin, including information on ways to get from the airport to downtown. Because some of the events are not close together, if you're renting a car and have space or are looking to hitch a ride to some of the events, please use this thread to coordinate that amongst yourselves.

We've also announced registration details, which I'll provide here as well:

Originally Posted by ausmegado.com
Registration will be available at the Friday and Saturday morning events. Registration involves telling us that you're here so we can mark you as checked in, and picking up your ID badge, lanyard, and sacred tome full of (hopefully) important details surrounding the weekend. Included there will be a list of the reputable Austin taxi services as well as a list of after hours options for the Choose Your Own Adventure portions of the weekend. We'll be at a table somewhere near the bar at Threadgills, and there will be a table set aside at Z Tejas as well. If you arrive late or aren't attending the first events, find one of the organizers and we'll get your stuff to you.
In addition, we're announcing that we're giving away some starpoints from Starwood Preferred Guest as part of the trivia game at the Drafthouse event on Sunday. So you'll want to make sure you're on time for that.

Finally, we're very excited to host each of you to Austin and are looking forward to a great weekend.

Welcome to the 2013 Austin Mega Do.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Quick weather update: For the 2013 Austin Mega Do, highs are forecast to be in the upper 50s to lower 60s and lows in the mid to upper 30s, sunshine and no rain. So please pack accordingly if you're one of those odd people who finds that to be cold. I'll be the guy in shorts.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I'll be the guy in shorts.
Hold on a minute.

There will be some guys there from Alaska who do not even own any long pants.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hold on a minute.

There will be some guys there from Alaska who do not even own any long pants.
Yeah, Chris and I will stand there and laugh at the rest of you.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, Chris and I will stand there and laugh at the rest of you.
You will have company in shorts with BOB W and also beckoa, who I do not think even owns a pair of shoes and who walks around Anchorage all year round in flip flops. I do not think that he even notices when the ice and snow gets between his toes.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
You will have company in shorts with BOB W and also beckoa, who I do not think even owns a pair of shoes and who walks around Anchorage all year round in flip flops. I do not think that he even notices when the ice and snow gets between his toes.
I don't notice as my feet are numb at that point.

If the snow is under 1" its usually ok. Above creates problems.

I did wear pants once this year in honor of another FT'ers birthday but it was a rare event indeed! Sounds like I might even need sunscreen
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
Is anyone staying at the Radisson downtown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.