Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Here is a map of JR lines in and around Tokyo showing every station.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf

Yep, that's the same map I linked to in post #808, but I included additional .pdf parameters in the link to zoom into Tokyo and Shinbasi stations to show the important area of the map for Conrad guests.

Originally Posted by serfty

If one looks here: [http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a...om=400,550,350] to Tokyo and looks for the lines that lead "South West" they will see that Shinbashi Station is indeed the second station from Tokyo on the way to Hamamatsucho and Shinagawa on the Yamanote (ring) line (Yurakucho is the first). So it indeed qualifies for the Suica&N'ex combo.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 25, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...a team of cleaners have just 7 minutes to clean and prepare the entire train. They empty bins, wipe tray tables and windowsills, turn the seats around (to face the direction of travel) and pick up any lost properties. ...
Did it show the more cultural thing the staff do after the process is complete?

That is they line up and bow to the awaiting passengers. I was not sure whether I was supposed to bow back or not....
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
That was fun to watch.

The JAL ticket agents at SFO did the same thing when the ticket counter opened for check-in. So much more respectful than American representatives who just yell, "Next!"
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:05 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Did it show the more cultural thing the staff do after the process is complete?

That is they line up and bow to the awaiting passengers. I was not sure whether I was supposed to bow back or not....
Yes, of course! And they apologise for having kept you waiting.

Originally Posted by jackal
That was fun to watch.

The JAL ticket agents at SFO did the same thing when the ticket counter opened for check-in. So much more respectful than American representatives who just yell, "Next!"
Or go to a department store when it opens in the morning.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
If I take the Narita Express into Tokyo does the same train carry on to Shinjuku?

The timetable on this page <http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/timetable/e_nex_u/07.html> for Narita Express 54 shows two different arrival times into Tokyo, with one column showing a || against Shinjuku while the other column shows an arrival time.

Am I reading the timetable wrong? I'm assuming (hopefully correctly) that I need to change trains at Tokyo to get to Shinjuku, or does Narita Express 54 go all the way through to Shinjuku
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:56 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Seriously tho. NewbieRunner, what is the appropiate thing for the clueless tourist when 4 or 5 women bow to you when you enter / leave a departmental store? smile...? bow back...? say "ありがとう (Arigatō)...?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:58 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SQ421
If I take the Narita Express into Tokyo does the same train carry on to Shinjuku?

The timetable on this page <http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/timetable/e_nex_u/07.html> for Narita Express 54 shows two different arrival times into Tokyo, with one column showing a || against Shinjuku while the other column shows an arrival time.

Am I reading the timetable wrong? I'm assuming (hopefully correctly) that I need to change trains at Tokyo to get to Shinjuku, or does Narita Express 54 go all the way through to Shinjuku
Does the train "split" into 2 sections at Tokyo? one section goes to Shinjuku, and the other doesn't...I vaguely remember this from my trip in 2009
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If Shinjuku has a time against a service then at least part of the train service travels there.

Most services are "split" at Tokyo, these are denoted by the same service number heading the columns.

SQ421's link (http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation..._nex_u/07.html) show 'split' service # 54.

If | appears then the service is express through that station, || means the service does not route via that station.

Basically, the N'EX goes to Tokyo and then branches as a limited express to either:

- Ofuna (NOT via Shinjuku) or
- Shinjuku/Omiya/Takao (services to the latter destinations will stop at Shinjuku)

This splitting is one of the reasons why all seats on the N'EX are reserved - that way they ensure you (or at least your reserved seat) are(is) in a car that actually goes to your destination.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 25, 2013 at 6:09 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:27 pm

This splitting is one of the reasons why all seats on the N'EX are reserved - that way they ensure you (or at least your reserved seat) are(is) in a car that actually goes to your destination.
That's a load off my mind. On the proviso that I manage to get into the correct car.

The JR East Travel Centre at NRT T2 Closes at 20:00 and the website isn't clear if I can purchase the JREast Travel Pass at the ticket office - Midori-no-madoguchi
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:07 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by kpc
Seriously tho. NewbieRunner, what is the appropiate thing for the clueless tourist when 4 or 5 women bow to you when you enter / leave a departmental store? smile...? bow back...? say "ありがとう (Arigatō)...?
You can just ignore them, or simply nod back. As the customer, you are considered "superior" (目上) in this situation.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by kpc
Ignore them but just go in and spend a lot of money. If you are leaving the store and haven't spent a lot of money already, turn around, go back into the store and spend a lot of money.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
You can just ignore them, or simply nod back. As the customer, you are considered "superior" (目上) in this situation.
Haha... you are superior because you pay their salary.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:00 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Ignore them but just go in and spend a lot of money. If you are leaving the store and haven't spent a lot of money already, turn around, go back into the store and spend a lot of money.
Ha! ^
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
To get to the Conrad Hotel, buy a Suica and NEX round trip ticket for 5500 yen at NRT. Take the train to Tokyo Station. Get off the train and take another train to Shimbashi Station (Shiodome Exit). Walk to the Conrad Hotel.
I don't want to confuse people - and this is probably best suited for people with some experience in Tokyo:

In my opinion the best route to either the Conrad at Shiodome or the Grand Hyatt at Roppongi is to take the Keisei Line. Either take the AccessLiner which runs directly into the subway's Toei Asakusa line to Daimon, and then it's one stop on the Oedo line to Shiodome for the Conrad (direction Ryogoku) or 3 stops to Roppongi (direction Roppongi). If the next Accessliner is more than 20 minutes off, you can also take a regular Keisei Limited Express, and change at Aoto across the platform for Daimon. These options are about 1100-1400 yen each way, and you can use either a SUICA or PASMO card, which you can buy at the machines at Narita. Takes no longer than NEX (maybe shorter, certainly cheaper) and the transfers are much easier.

ETA: The Conrad is directly above the Oedo Line's Shiodome exit, no streets to cross.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:20 am

Can someone confirm if its possible to walk from Shinjuku Station to Hyatt Regency?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.