Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tcook052
I'll be at Tsukiji in the morning, though not at 4AM, and take it there's no way to cross over from the market into the garden except to backtrack to the Conrad and go through the park entrance you posted, correct? I weighed showing up for the tuna auction but have decided to sleep in and arrive a few hours ahead of our 10:15 meeting and see a little of Tsukiji and Hamarikyu Garens before meeting up with my fellow FTers. As am staying until 4th April if the spirit moves me I can always go to the tuna auction another morning.
On Friday morning 37 FTers have 'registered' for the Tsukiji market tour. If you can go another morning you will have less competition. @:-)

You don't have to backtrack all the way to the Conrad but most of the way. The main entrance to the market to the entrance (or the junction near the entrance) to Hamarikyu Gardens is only about one third of the distance from the Conrad to Kachidoki Gate (tuna auction registration) as you will see on this map.

Tsukiji Marmet main entrance to Hamarikyu Gardens

No, you cannot go from Tsukiji Market to the Water Bus stop other than through the main entrance to Hamarikyu Gardens.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
On Friday morning 37 FTers have 'registered' for the Tsukiji market tour. If you can go another morning you will have less competition. @:-)
That factored in to the decision.

I'm 12+ hours away from take off so will only add my thanks to our hosts who've provided so many helpful answers. I look forward to expressing my thanks in person shortly so see everyone soon!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Timing-wise, is the Nagano bullet train trip and the Haneda Airport Dinner Cruise both doable on Saturday? Or will the Nagano trip come back too late?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:35 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by deirdre
Timing-wise, is the Nagano bullet train trip and the Haneda Airport Dinner Cruise both doable on Saturday? Or will the Nagano trip come back too late?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes, they are timed so you can do both! @:-) Will provide instructions on how to get from Tokyo station to Haneda Airport for those who need them (as well as the meeting place in Haneda which has not been announced officially as far as I remember).

If you are interested in the airport/dinner cruise please register asap.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
eightblack - Perhaps I can add my hotel information - post #3. I'll be at the Conrad 4 nights, March 28 - April 1. Thank you.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
eightblack - Perhaps I can add my hotel information - post #3. I'll be at the Conrad 4 nights, March 28 - April 1. Thank you.
Consider it done
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:28 am

Looking forward to this one.

According to my office I am arriving into NRT on Wednesday night. Is anyone around then? Trying to decide what to do on Thursday. PM me.

Chur
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:19 am

Suica & N'EX

I bought my first ever Suica & N'EX yesterday after waiting for something like 30 minutes in a long queue at the JR East Service Center in the basement of NRT T1. The only time I tried to buy one previously (after finding out about it in the FT Japan forum) the agent told me people born in Japan weren't eligible through they might hold a foreign passport. It was a fib but the experience deterred me from trying again until now. I wish I had tried earlier as I have been paying more than twice what it should have cost for travelling on N'EX for the last few years.

The queue at around 10am on Saturday morning was very long, almost everybody except me waiting to exchange their Japan Rail Pass vouchers. Four counters were open and staff seemed to speak passable English. (I was going to speak to them in English if they were going to be akward again but it wasn't necessary. )

What you get for 5,500 yen is a Suica card with 1,500 yen credit and two N'EX tickets – one for travelling into Tokyo and an open ticket for a return journey from anywhere in the greater Tokyo area to NRT T1/2 within two weeks.

An open N'EX ticket and a Suica card

The first ticket includes a reserved seat on the first available N'EX unless you ask to travel on a later train. For your return trip take the second (open) ticket to any JR East ticket office for seat reservation. You can do this any time up to the departure time. A reservation may be changed once free of charge up to the time of departure of your original reservation. Apart from a few early morning trains there shouldn't be any difficulty getting a seat at the last minute. BTW when a ticket inspector walks through the train they won't ask to see your ticket if you (or someone else!) are sitting on the allocated seat.

As soon as you get your Suica and two N'EX tickets, put the Suica away at least until you reach your destination. All you need for your travel is your combined N'EX ticket/seat reservation. Don't touch the card reader at the ticket gate in NRT with your Suica card or a fare will be deducted from your Suica.

The N'EX ticket is valid from Narita Airport to any JR East station within the coloured area. If you need to change to Metro, for example, you will have to pay separately, but you can of course use your newly acquired Suica card for this.

How to use and charge Suica may be found here.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 24, 2013 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Quick question, does one need to have paid for a Japan Rail pass before rocking up in Japan and collect it there or can one pay for it over the counter?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ421
Quick question, does one need to have paid for a Japan Rail pass before rocking up in Japan and collect it there or can one pay for it over the counter?
An Exchange Order must be purchased outside of Japan, then exchanged for a Rail Pass once you are in Japan. The following link will give you information regarding where to purchase an Exchange Order. It seems there are no locations in ACT and, as time is running short, hope you can order it online and print it before you leave.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en005.html
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by SQ421
The "JR East" pass does not need to be pre-ordered, although you can do so if you wish.

Here a post outlining my plan :
Originally Posted by serfty
That's my plan.

On Arrival into NRT:

* Purchase a JR East Pass
* Purchase a Suica with Ą2000
* Collect / Reserved seating dosckets for Nagano.ą

I will use the JR East Pass for:

* N'ex Travel to/from the Airport.
* Nagano trip
* Any other travel on JR (East) lines

I will use the Suica for any travel on non JR lines.

ą When I reserved seats earlier this month (see post #554) I indicated collection on arrival at NRT on Thursday.
(I won't be buying a Suicu-N'ex combo)

The more widely usable and costly "JR PASS" must be pre-ordered.

Last edited by serfty; Mar 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Further flight updates of flights here: Tokyo 2013 Do flight list
Old Mar 24, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
The "JR East" pass does not need to be pre-ordered, although you can do so if you wish.
Thanks serfty !

I did mean the JR East Pass.

Alright, I think (atleast in my head), I have the ducks lined up.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else

Here a post outlining my plan :

(I won't be buying a Suicu-N'ex combo)

The more widely usable and costly "JR PASS" must be pre-ordered.
It appears the seats can be reserved in advance before you even buy the JR-East Pass: http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com

So this begs the question: What car/seats have people been reserving for the Asama 509 and Asama 530 trains?

I'd like to reserve in advance if it gets more of us seats together and hopefully to speed up the list is transactions I'd need to do at the JR counter. Otherwise my plan is the same as serfty's (with the difference that I will reuse my Suica card from the last visit and save the 500 Yen card fee).

update: The system won't let you specify anything more than aisle/window. So it may be better to pick up at the counter and request a certain car...that is if anyone posts their seat assignments.

Last edited by paranoiatx; Mar 24, 2013 at 9:38 pm Reason: update
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paranoiatx
I'd like to reserve in advance if it gets more of us seats together and hopefully to speed up the list is transactions I'd need to do at the JR counter. Otherwise my plan is the same as serfy's (with the difference that I will reuse my Suica card from the last visit and save the 500 Yen card fee).

update: The system won't let you specify anything more than aisle/window. So it may be better to pick up at the counter and request a certain car...that is if anyone posts their seat assignments.
I have been asking this question:
I will be looking for specific car/seat reservations Thursday morning.

Any suggestions on where to target?
Responses have been sparse other than there is a vending machine in car 3 and only cars 5, 6 & 8 have "ordinary" reserved seating (car 7 for 'green').

Do any have suggestions on this? 5? 6? 8? left end, middle, right end (as per image)?

Last edited by serfty; Mar 29, 2013 at 7:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.