Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kpc
How far away is the Conrad Tokyo from the ANA? Easy to get to via train?
The Conrad Tokyo is located on top of the Shiodome station on the Oedo line. To get to Roppongi-Itchome station near the ANA, you need to make a 3 stations ride to Azabu-juban, then change for the Nambuko line, and it's one stop from there. I'd say it's easy: announcement and signs are made in English and maps are readily available at train stations. But it's not direct, either.

Last edited by Richelieu; Jun 12, 2012 at 2:44 am
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:42 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Richelieu
The Conrad Tokyo is located on top of the Shiodome station on the Oedo line. To get to Roppongi-Itchome station near the ANA, you need to make a 3 stations ride to Azabu-juban, then change for the Nambuko line, and it's one stop from there. I'd say it's easy: announcement and signs are made in English and maps are readily available at train stations. But it's not direct, either.
Thanks for that...that map makes me dizzy!! I've been to Tokyo before so that is an easy commute to IC ANA if I do decide to stay at Conrad.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by fumitani
Originally Posted by armagebedar
The ANA IC is in Akasaka -- the center of Roppongi is a good 20 minute walk away.

My recommendations for anyone looking for a centrally-located hotel from one of the major chains:

- ANA IC Tokyo (Akasaka near Tameike-Sanno / Roppongi-Itchome stations)
- ANA IC Strings (Shinagawa)
- Grand Hyatt Tokyo or Ritz-Carlton Tokyo (Roppongi)
- Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo (between Shirokanedai and Shirokane-Takanawa stations)
- Shangri-La Tokyo (Tokyo Station)
- The Peninsula Tokyo (Yurakucho / Hibiya stations)
- Mandarin Oriental Tokyo (Mitsukoshimae)
- Four Seasons Tokyo (Tokyo Station)

Some other well-regarded hotels include:
- The Capital Hotel Tokyu (Akasaka near Tameike-Sanno Station)
- Palace Hotel (Otemachi)
- Tokyo Station Hotel (Tokyo Station; to open this coming October)

If anyone has any requests for more budget-oriented hotels, please let me know!
For people looking to spend less than 8000yen a night...
Rooms are very basic and usually includes a simple breakfast (toast, some rice balls, and salad) and free internet in the room. Room sizes vary, but they are usually 12m2 or smaller.

Toyoko-Inn
Apa Hotels
My Stays-Inn
For Accor:
Mercure in Ginza

For MR:
Marriot Courtyard Ginza

For HH:
Conrad

In additon to what is listed above, covers most hotel loyalty chains.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Budget advice

Originally Posted by fumitani
For people looking to spend less than 8000yen a night...
Rooms are very basic and usually includes a simple breakfast (toast, some rice balls, and salad) and free internet in the room. Room sizes vary, but they are usually 12m2 or smaller.

Toyoko-Inn
Apa Hotels
My Stays-Inn
Toyoko Inn? Friends don't let friends stay at a Toyoko Inn.

There's an economic option very very close to the ANA IC and the Grand Hyatt. The b Hotel Roppongi is showing singles at 10,000 at the moment. Admittedly this is more than 8,000, but you do get an extensive breakfast buffet included in the rate (much more than bread and cereals) and unlimited coffees and teas and you can share cabs with FTers in the nearby hotels or dispense with them altogether.

Still too expensive?
Not so very far away in nearby Azabu Juban there's the Olympic Inn. It's a bit too early at the moment to do so, but you should be able to get an ensuite single room here for around 5,000 (and definitely no more than 7,500) with an agency such as Rakuten http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/port....eng?f_no=5023.

It should take no more than 20 minutes to walk from here to the Grand Hyatt. If you get really drunk then it should be under 1,000 yen for the cab fare.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:37 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by armagebedar
The ANA IC is in Akasaka -- the center of Roppongi is a good 20 minute walk away.
Thanks. It's not in my neck of the woods but outside the hotel is Roppongi Dori (Street) so it's "in Roppongi" for me.

From Tameike-Sanno station (a few minutes walk from the ANA IC) on the Ginza line it's two stops to Shinbashi and 7 minutes' walk via a walkway to the Conrad.

Originally Posted by LapLap
I have stayed at a Toyoko Inn (admittedly not in Tokyo) and survived.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by LapLap

There's an economic option very very close to the ANA IC and the Grand Hyatt. The b Hotel Roppongi is showing singles at 10,000 at the moment. Admittedly this is more than 8,000, but you do get an extensive breakfast buffet included in the rate (much more than bread and cereals) and unlimited coffees and teas and you can share cabs with FTers in the nearby hotels or dispense with them altogether.
Thank you for that ^ The B Roppongi was very cute and perfect! I planned on staying at the ANA IC on the 28th - 29th and then the rest here and was struggling to find anything I liked that's budget.

/AE
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
From Tameike-Sanno station (a few minutes walk from the ANA IC) on the Ginza line it's two stops to Shinbashi and 7 minutes' walk via a walkway to the Conrad.
I've seen people take a taxi for what I consider to be a short walk, so I was advising for the path involving less steps
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I've registered! Tokyo is one city I've not spent any time in other than a NRT connection a long time ago! I will come in via LHR, AMS, or CDG once I look at tix.

And will have to find accomodation!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Can anyone advise on the centrality of the IC Toyko Bay? I get a rate that is $110 cheaper per night than the other IC's (gov't).

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:11 pm
Posting Legend, Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by rwoman
I've registered!
We must've been chasing the last confirmed space as I wound up on the waitlist. Hopefully it clears but regardless am set on doing NRT next Spring.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:15 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Wow! Got home from NUE late last night and registered. Glad I didn't wait until morning.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
We must've been chasing the last confirmed space as I wound up on the waitlist. Hopefully it clears but regardless am set on doing NRT next Spring.
I must be No. 2 on the waitlist as I just missed out too.

No doubt there will be a few cancellations as work etc. interfere with people's plans.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
I've registered! Tokyo is one city I've not spent any time in other than a NRT connection a long time ago! I will come in via LHR, AMS, or CDG once I look at tix.

And will have to find accomodation!
Nice to have you on board!

Can anyone advise on the centrality of the IC Toyko Bay? I get a rate that is $110 cheaper per night than the other IC's (gov't).

Thanks!
Not the best hotel in terms of location thus the discount, but not too far off (3-5 stops to Ginza and 5-8 stops to Roppongi: where most will be in. about a 10 minute taxi ride to RPG) if it is savings you are after.

The difference in the stops is depending which station you take, since the closest to that hotel is the monorail.

All in all, It is a decent location and not too far off the main area which is Ginza.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:07 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I've seen people take a taxi for what I consider to be a short walk, so I was advising for the path involving less steps
Anyone who manages to change at Azabu-juban between the Oedo line and the Namboku line should be able to manage some steps.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/station/aza...map/index.html
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:09 pm
mjm
Original Member

Thanks!
You could walk to Daimon in 10 minutes and from their it is 3 stops to Roppongi on the Oedo Line). Door to door 20 mins. About the same as staying at the Westin for example.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.