Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

2012 DTW / Ann Arbor Art Fair Do (July 20-22)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
thanks for the tip Bikeguy!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Everyone:
Please let me know ASAP more specifically if you plan on attending the following three events:

1. Miles and Points and Best Vacation Ever Discussion Saturday afternoon.

2. Dinner Saturday evening (will probably be at the Original Cottage Inn).

3. Sunday Brunch at Weber's

It's most important that I call the two restaurants to make reservations soon with as accurate a head count as possible. Thanks!
I'm in for all 3. Also, for the Miles & Points discussion I can put a presentation together if people are interested. It would probably be about creative ways to earn points & miles.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:03 am

This is great to know, thanks. I knew they allowed kayaks down the Cascades, but I didn't know about innertubes. I have a few I'll have to dig out of my garage
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
The other really cool addition to Ann Arbor is Argo Cascades.

This is near M14 to the north of town, off Argo Pond. Was filled with innertubers last Sunday and very fun. Innertubes can be rented for $10, if you don't bring your own. And wear water shoes.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
I'm in for all 3. Also, for the Miles & Points discussion I can put a presentation together if people are interested. It would probably be about creative ways to earn points & miles.
Thanks! PM me some time with more details on what you have in mind.

Also, I've updated the schedule for the weekend in post #3:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18261590-post3.html
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, US - SPG, HH, PC, CC
Everyone:
Please let me know ASAP more specifically if you plan on attending the following three events:

1. Miles and Points and Best Vacation Ever Discussion Saturday afternoon.

2. Dinner Saturday evening (will probably be at the Original Cottage Inn).

3. Sunday Brunch at Weber's

It's most important that I call the two restaurants to make reservations soon with as accurate a head count as possible. Thanks!
1. yes +1
2. yes +1
3. yes +1

Welcome aboard jadecocoa, edotzaue, Jigger, and RadioShow!

It would help tremendously if those of you attending the Saturday afternoon get together at the library would post about or PM me about areas of discussion that you would be most interested in talking about - and contributing your own tips on as well. As we have learned in past years some tips are best kept offline and shared in small groups like ours as they tend to quickly disappear once they become more prominent via the internet.

We don't have the "power" speakers coming in but I am confident we can learn a lot from each other as we have in past years.
Being a relative newcomer, not sure that I'd have much to offer that isn't readily available on Flyertalk or the blogosphere. I could possibly offer some tips regarding credit score improvement, for anyone still on the outside looking in at the bank signup bonus offers... Open to any and all ideas for discussion.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edotzaue
Being a relative newcomer, not sure that I'd have much to offer that isn't readily available on Flyertalk or the blogosphere. I could possibly offer some tips regarding credit score improvement, for anyone still on the outside looking in at the bank signup bonus offers... Open to any and all ideas for discussion.
You might be surprised how helpful your tips may be to some folks, none of us know everything!

Also, in past years we've often been able to offer prizes to those offering tips voted by the group as most useful. If some folks want to offer up some prizes like drink chits, airline / hotel discount coupons, etc. so that we can use them for prizes, let us know.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta, American
Yes to all three for me.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:56 am

1 only for me. I'm happy to hear about anything. Being a dabbler in the points/miles game and budget traveler, I'm not sure I have anything to contribute of much interest.

Last edited by jadecocoa; Jun 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis First

I'll be there for all 3.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

I was looking at hotel rates for our weekend and noticed that the Courtyard Detroit Metro Airport Romulus has a $64 rate where they give you a $25 Visa gift card bringing the effective rate to about $40; works for either Friday or Saturday night for those looking for a good deal in the DTW area.

Also, for those that aren't familiar with the Art Fair before that traffic can be quite congested with the fair crowds and numerous closed off streets.

For out of town attendees the cluster of hotels near the Briarwood Mall is one convenient area to stay in. There is a convenient shuttle between Briarwood Mall and the downtown area where the Art Fair and the Panera location for breakfast/lunch, the Library, and the Original Cottage Inn are. Info is in the brochure for AAAF:
http://www.visitannarbor.org/pdf/2012.ArtFairBroch.pdf

However, I noticed that the brochure says that the shuttle bus service will shut down around 7 PM on Saturday meaning those who plan to take the shuttle to the Fair and Do Events will need a ride back to the mall after dinner. Would any of you that might be driving to the Saturday night dinner be able to take folks back to Briarwood after dinner? I'll leave it to more informed Ann Arbor locals to advise as to where parking is likely to be available for the dinner. There is also some info on parking lots in the above cited brochure.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
I was looking at hotel rates for our weekend and noticed that the Courtyard Detroit Metro Airport Romulus has a $64 rate where they give you a $25 Visa gift card bringing the effective rate to about $40; works for either Friday or Saturday night for those looking for a good deal in the DTW area.

Also, for those that aren't familiar with the Art Fair before that traffic can be quite congested with the fair crowds and numerous closed off streets.

For out of town attendees the cluster of hotels near the Briarwood Mall is one convenient area to stay in. There is a convenient shuttle between Briarwood Mall and the downtown area where the Art Fair and the Panera location for breakfast/lunch, the Library, and the Original Cottage Inn are. Info is in the brochure for AAAF:

However, I noticed that the brochure says that the shuttle bus service will shut down around 7 PM on Saturday meaning those who plan to take the shuttle to the Fair and Do Events will need a ride back to the mall after dinner. Would any of you that might be driving to the Saturday night dinner be able to take folks back to Briarwood after dinner? I'll leave it to more informed Ann Arbor locals to advise as to where parking is likely to be available for the dinner. There is also some info on parking lots in the above cited brochure.
You could also just catch the regular bus back. I think the shuttle ends at 7 because the art fair ends at 6. We've never had to have anyone take public transportation back in the past though.

If public transport was required, you'd take Route 7 from the Blake Transit Center, a few blocks toward Main Street for Cottage Inn.

LINK
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:44 am

I can take 3 or 4 (in a pinch). My wife has university parking which I'll use

Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I can give a ride too. I will miss the Panera Saturday morning as I just scheduled a client meeting in Northville...which means I may be late for the meeting at the library...assuming I find parking in time
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: United 1K; AA EXP; Delta Plat Medallion; Starwood Plat
Will be in Michigan that weekend and would be a definite if there is still space. Would be attending the discussion on Sat. at the library and dinner Sat. night.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upperdeck744
Will be in Michigan that weekend and would be a definite if there is still space. Would be attending the discussion on Sat. at the library and dinner Sat. night.
Yes, I can confirm you for both the discussion in the library and dinner at the Original Cottage Inn on Saturday night - welcome!

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
If public transport was required, you'd take Route 7 from the Blake Transit Center, a few blocks toward Main Street for Cottage Inn.
Thanks for the info. The AA transit website returned a "no service" message, probably because it is not sophisticated enough to list options that require a short walk to get to a bus stop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.