Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

MCI BBQ DO VII --July 20-22, 2012

MCI BBQ DO VII --July 20-22, 2012

Old May 11, 2012, 12:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
The Sheraton Crown Center and Westin are connected to this space-age enclosed (and I hope air-conditioned) walkway that takes you to Union station where you walk through the station over the pedestrian bridge above the railroad tracks and like magic you are in the Jack Stack parking lot. Especially nice not having to drive when returning after an evening of heavy eating and drinking.

Old May 13, 2012, 2:44 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
wow thanks for all the information!

A few more questions I have:

Is driving / parking is expensive in KC?
Are the locations of all the BBQ close by to one another? (I tried google maps but It didn't help)
Are there any parts of town I should steer clear of?

I usually use HGP and MR, so the lack of a Hyatt there results in me looking at Marriott and I am
considering the fairfield inn since the downtown one is full. Would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 13, 2012 at 2:56 am
Old May 13, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Aside from Jack Stack, parking at all the other places are free are easy to find (just get to Oklahoma Joe's right when they open). You will definitely need a car for this Do. There are usually some people that are willing to share rides. That's usually worked out at the Friday night dinner.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
. . .
I usually use HGP and MR, so the lack of a Hyatt there results in me looking at Marriott and I am
considering the fairfield inn since the downtown one is full. Would appreciate some thoughts on this.

Thanks!
The Fairfield Inn Union Hill in Kansas City, MO is a decent location. It has a complimentary shuttle bus that will take you downtown and to the Plaza area, which might be useful.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I was just reading my Twitter feed from the guy that use to own/run this place. He talked about a BUY. Wonder what he means? If his visit is/was a surprise, it certainly wasn't kept.

Shameless plug below.

dh
Old May 30, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I'll probably make at least the Friday night happy hour ... I'll have two newborns at home, which I guess gives me all the more incentive to be at these events.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
A huge thank you to Condition One for putting this together. This weekend coincides with the Global Dance Festival (an electronic dance music festival.) which will be occurring in downtown KC (Midland Theatre) on Friday and Saturday. I will definitely try to make the Happy Hour on Friday before I head to the Midland. This should be a great time as always!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Is driving / parking is expensive in KC?
Are the locations of all the BBQ close by to one another? (I tried google maps but It didn't help)
Are there any parts of town I should steer clear of?
Driving/parking is comparatively cheap. Your base rate on a car, with a decent coupon code, should be in the $10/day range if not lower. You will then be slapped with over 100% in taxes, but you're still talking about a cheap rental car overall. (Without coupon codes, regular Orbitz search, plenty of $11-14/day cars for that weekend...)

MCI uses a shared rental facility, so the premium I'd be willing to pay for a first-tier brand vs. a second-tier one (e.g., National vs. Dollar) is minimal as long as you have the second-tier agency's expedited renter card. I've had hassle-free Dollar, Budget, and Alamo rentals at MCI before. On the other hand, I've had a Payless rental that was a royal pain in the a**, so I'd probably only go "second-tier", not third-tier. I wouldn't hesitate to book Dollar's $13/day "mystery car" if I didn't have a cheap National/Hertz option.

Parking is something I've never actually paid for in Kansas City, except at Royals/Chiefs games. I'd be disappointed if any Flyertalker actually paid for parking in downtown Kansas City on a weekend. I've stayed in downtown, Crossroads, and Plaza hotels and always found legal street parking.

The BBQ locations are a bit scattered. Not hours apart or anything...but definitely driving.

Last edited by pinniped; Jun 6, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, and after reading upthread a ways, other bits I'll add:

- MCI Airport is 20 miles north of the city. Staying at a hotel out there wouldn't be nearly as fun as being in the city.

- Downtown, Crossroads, or Crown Center is ideal. Plaza, Midtown, or Westport are all pretty good too. Union Hill is right uphill from Crown Center - that Fairfield Inn is a pretty good call for Marriott fans.

- The Sheraton in Crown Center is indeed the former Hyatt.

- If you're seeing Kansas hotels, you're *probably* looking at Overland Park. That's about 20 miles southwest of Kansas City. Again, not ideal unless you specifically want to be out there to visit friends or something.

- If you've never been to either Missouri or Kansas, you will visit both in the course of BBQ eating assuming Oklahoma Joe's is still on the menu. For OK Joe's, you have to go as far outside normal mealtimes as possible...and even then you'll still encounter a queue to order. Honestly, the only time I go there is when out-of-town friends who've seen it on the Food Network want to go.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:03 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Mr. Kipper has just confirmed that we will not be attending. He's headed out of town the following week, and I'm out of town the following weekend, so it's not going to work out for us this year. One of these years, we will make it there!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Gold
add me to the list

This is the first time I've heard about a FT get together here in KC. Yippee! Add me to the list for Friday evening at jack Stack for sure. I may be able to make some of the other stops.

There's currently a fabulous exhibit at the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum, artifacts from various World's Fairs 1851-1939:
http://www.nelson-atkins.org/
This is one of the best exhibits they have ever had if you like that visiting art museums.

Also, there's an exhibit of artifacts from the Titanic at Union Station:
http://titanic.unionstation.org/
Very interesting if you have never seen this exhibit before.

I wouldn't stay by the airport. It takes 20-30 minutes to get to midtown/plaza areas. You should be able to find an inexpensive place in the city. A business associate always stays at the Holiday Inn Express in Westport when here:
http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...wp/hoteldetail
Central location for everything you might want to do as a tourist here in Kansas City.

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 7, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: Aspiring AA Platinum
Luggage Tags

Condition One,

Had no idea you were/are in KC. I was there a few weeks ago. I might send my friend along to the event on my behalf.

Enjoy!

Hussein
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
I don't live in KC. I've just been to the Do enough times that I know the routine Most of the other people on the list could have organized it just as easily!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
UA does not want us to come this year.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTerry
UA does not want us to come this year.
http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...8#post-1434463

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.