Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

R.I.P Jim, magic111, my dear friend

R.I.P Jim, magic111, my dear friend

Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
so sad to hear ... you will be remembered, Jim. R.I.P.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:38 pm
RKG

I am saddened to learn of Jim's passing. I did not know him well. I believe I met him on a NW 747 - SFO to Singapore (or HK) back in June or July 2003.

He will be missed.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
So sorry to hear the news. Condolences to all of you who lost a friend.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Horrible news. So sorry for his family.

I was looking forward to seeing him again at the BRT in June.

RIP, Jim.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
so sorry to hear this, i had the chance to speak with jim several times at various do's around the world...my condolences to his family, we've lost one of the good ones. RIP, Magic111.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:25 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
I awoke to this sad news today and still can't believe he is gone. I had the pleasure of meeting Jim several times and always enjoyed his perspective on life and his quirky sense of humor.

My condolences to Jerrie, family and friends. He will be sorely missed.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Jim at OzFest as we stopped between Hahndorf and Adelaide at the Glenelg pier:
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:59 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I'm so sad to hear of Jims last departure from this world. It's far to soon for him. Isn't he one of the guys who is friendly and helpful to everybody, always smiling and with a funny and interesting story to tell - and one of the guys for whom one really wishes a long live... So what were Gods plans here? Well, at least it was the kind of departure that I would want to wish for myself when the time comes.

Jim, we'll miss you terribly. I hope we'll meet again some time at a better place. Condolences to Jerrie and your family.

I think we first met at a DUS DO at Bernies place, another sad and far too soon departure from ft and this world. All those DOs we've been to together. And all the interaction we had together on ft and the mod activities.

R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Cholula
Here's a YouTube video of Jim welcoming a large group on FT'ers on a boat ride at a London DO several years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jagN42Ex_4

I think this will give folks who hadn't had the privilege of meeting him an idea of what a great personality and sense of humor he possessed.
Thanks, Cholula for linking this video here - a lot of ft friends are seen here. Another nice ft memory involving Jim.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:55 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm thankful that FlyerTalk allowed me to meet and know a man as special as Jim. Rest in peace...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:09 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Shocked.

Thoughts and prayers.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
Jim at OzFest as we stopped between Hahndorf and Adelaide at the Glenelg pier: ...
I remember that Glenelg stop; also seated next to magic111 in Hahndorf for lunch and good conversation ... much more fun than the quick hello in Cairns at another Ozfest.

Condolences to his family. Great loss to FT indeed.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
While I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Magic111, and never really looked at his posts, he sounds like he was a great man, and a fantastic Moderator.

My heart goes out to his family, and all of you who have lost a friend.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
I never had the pleasure of knowing Jim. It sounds like that was clearly my loss. While this is incredibly sad news, I think he would think it fitting that all of these people from all over the world not only knew him, but knew him well. It speaks to the community that he helped build and foster, both here and over on Milepoint.

In a weird way, I thank him for creating a place that allows us all to mourn today.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
For those who haven't seen it yet, there is also a thread in remembrance of Jim over on 'his' forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eb-2011-a.html
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Magic 111

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
In the history of FlyerTalk, in the history of our corps of volunteer Moderators, in the history of the unknowns behind a keyboard who become friends and in the history of those who have earned my utmost and most personal respect Jim/Magic111 is one of those that did make a difference for all those who call FlyerTalk their base station for miles, points and general travel information. The number of times I recall great conversations with Jim of reason and valuable contributions toward the success that is FlyerTalk reaches well into the double digits. His particular passion for the right thing for all the visitors to the AAdvantage forum and beyond still guides me today and will forever.

This is a man whose time clearly was cut too short. This is a member whose contributions are so imbedded in the mantra of FlyerTalk for wanting to help others, that he will always be part of the history that will be written for FlyerTalk.

We are all here for his memory today, tomorrow and for every day after. I am truly quite saddened by this news, FlyerTalk has truly lost a dear, dear friend.
As a newcomer to FT, I only know of Jim thru postings.

Yes, a good man is mourned today.

Reminds us of how fragile life is and why we need to scratch off as many listings off our bucket list.

I guess a good way to remember him is to think of him as we board our next flight and thank him for what he did to make it more enjoyable and productive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.