FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   SIN DO 2013, 1/18-1/20 Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1312604-sin-do-2013-1-18-1-20-singapore.html)

Pinky Nov 6, 2012 9:34 am

I will be staying at the St Regis

Blank Sheet Nov 6, 2012 10:26 am

Please count myself as confirmed. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Inbound: 1/19 @ 01:35, DL 621
Outbound: 1/21 @ 06:00, DL 622

bschaff1 Nov 6, 2012 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by qbrain (Post 19608081)
Sentosa isn't really too far away, but it seems like it is because Singapore is so dense, so I would rule that out. If you want to spend time on Sentosa, people have certainly done that during the DO, but I don't remember anyone saying that they were thrilled with the resorts out there.

I believe the the Hyatt is nicer than the Towers. Both will have several to many DOers staying.

If you qualify on stays, you will not be the only person hotel hopping that weekend.

It is hard to give guidance without more information on what you are looking for. Those prices are not so great that *I* would tie myself to them with prepaid rate but I am thinking of what I paid the last two years, not what I could get next year.

Make where you get the most out of your status the first factor. If not going on status, I would take the Hyatt if the price is close to the Sheraton Towers. I've done the first night at the Sheraton the last 3 DOs and moved over to Hyatt. The Sheraton is fine when you arrive dead tired at midnight, but seems like a worn out property about 5 years overdue for a renovation.

The Hyatt staff is either good or indifferent, but I've always found their rooms to be excellent.

infoworks Nov 7, 2012 12:53 am

Count me in! I will be in SIN for work from 13 Jan, so up for some pre-do catch-ups. Staying at the Intercon. Will fly out on 20 Jan, not participate in any post-do events.

SirJman Nov 7, 2012 1:13 am

I'll be there. Anything that revolves around food, I'll be up for. I, nor the fiancée drink, so we may give some things a pass that revolve around alcohol (as well as anything that is out of our budget, we are only 24!)

bschaff1 Nov 7, 2012 2:44 pm

The attendee count so far is 62 confirmed. According to my numbers, there were 57 confirmed for 2012.

I'm going to break off a separate thread for the Post DO events in the next day or so and add the entire schedule. I've got a number of itineraries for SGN in the works and will appreciate feedback or suggestions once I start that thread.

paranoiatx Nov 8, 2012 4:02 pm

I went ahead a marked myself confirmed in the google doc a while back, so you can update your master list. I would be silly to give up my award R-class seat to SIN... :D

Since I'm on an award though, I was planning on using SQ to continue to SGN, since that would be free. However the flight is much later in the day than the one proposed...so I'd be interested in seeing what the plan is for the Post-Do.

Karen2 Nov 10, 2012 1:36 am

Put down Karen2 and Mr Karen2, esp if you do Sumatra. We have tried to get there before but have not been able to put it together. Malaysia we have done.

One note to people with extra time: The Hyatt at Kuantan is great, right on the beach and very inexpensive. Local fish restaurants are right across the street from the hotel, as is McDonald's. Caught more than a few hotel guests sneaking over for breakfast! The wild monkeys will join you on your balcony if you are not careful. We had a terrific time there. Place is full of Brits so you know it is a bargain.

gfowler-ord-1k Nov 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Definite maybe

Karen2 Nov 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Oops. Karen2 plus one are maybes at this point.

sporadic Nov 11, 2012 1:37 am

I am interested. Of course, mainly because I'm Singaporean and I live in Singapore... The SGN itinerary interests me too. But I can't commit yet! :(

tuapekastar Nov 12, 2012 6:30 am

I've held off withdrawing from this DO (in the hope I could attend) but I think the time has come to face facts - barring something unforeseen, afraid I'm out, as much as I'd like to attend after having been to the last couple. :(

Give the bubbles a good go in the Conrad lounge. :)

ZFW-ATC Nov 12, 2012 7:14 am

Originally Posted by tuapekastar (Post 19667953)
I've held off withdrawing from this DO (in the hope I could attend) but I think the time has come to face facts - barring something unforeseen, afraid I'm out, as much as I'd like to attend after having been to the last couple. :(

Give the bubbles a good go in the Conrad lounge. :)

Tuapekastar, I am sure you will be missed. I'll try and find another random Kiwi to help drink your share!

Eric

chchkiwi Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ZFW-ATC (Post 19668156)
Tuapekastar, I am sure you will be missed. I'll try and find another random Kiwi to help drink your share!

Eric

???? (Bolding mine)

ZFW-ATC Nov 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by chchkiwi (Post 19672257)
???? (Bolding mine)

I was actually referring to a rather specific Kiwi that attended this years Do and has indicated to me that he may be attending next years also.. He drank enough of the Conrads champagne to have made quite a name for himself.. Sorry for the confusion. :)

Cheers,
Eric