Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:17 pm

My first seminar and it was truly amazing. I only live an hour away and I am disappointed I didn't attend last year. I will be going every year going forward. So glad to meet all of you.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Another fantastic event. Big kudos and congratulations to Rick, Brian, and also Sharon.

We did have bad weather at the end, including a tornado scare. It would be too much to expect that people's flights weren't affected, but I hope the disturbance was manageable.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Good Show, left early 6:00 AM Sunday.Military man was up ready to run...

Had to laugh at the pudding Guy, I remember dumpster diving for AirTran tickets at Wendy's..we had the help do it after work...

Computer Geek was great, smiled ...seen few computers on my screen earlier in the room....

Even meet a guy from Indy, and some other cool guys,,

Great Show, Keep up the good work....
HI staff was super also...
Waiting on my winning call from the raffel tickets..not holding my breath...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, any other status I can get via credit card

Excellent event. Many thanks to the organizers!!!!

I am one of those few people who does not have either a membership rewards or ultimate rewards credit card and need to get one. Someone mentioned a promo code that can be used. If anyone has one they are not planning to use, I would love to take it off your hands
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA,UA,DL,Alaska,Hilton,Hyatt
First time attendee here, and I will be coming back in future years! I echo the others by saying big thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers and of course the sponsors that helped make it a success. I respect their dedication to give up the chance to hear the speakers, in order to staff the booths or deal with questions and problems that attendees may have. Everyone I met this weekend had something really interesting to share, and was a pleasure to meet. Rick was right...that collectively there is a tremendous amount of power in the group as a whole, individually we hold just a small piece of the knowledge that is out there. Congrats again, and safe travels to you all!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Great event everyone (too many to name!). Very smoothly run. And, congrats on the record breaking charity donations! See you next year!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Had a great weekend. Great event as usual. Nice way to end the day with the Tornado warning. Wow those sirens outside are loud.

Flights were a mess due to the weather. Now that Ive made it to Boston and am almost home, the train that i'm on has gone mechanical.They think it will be a few hours before we can go anywhere. I guess I should have stayed anther day. What an exciting trip home
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by aktchi
We did have bad weather at the end, including a tornado scare. It would be too much to expect that people's flights weren't affected, but I hope the disturbance was manageable.
My flight had just about every issue imaginable, starting with the weather, followed by crew issues, and a mechanical. Total delay was about 7 hours.

Maybe next year should have a session on dealing with irrops?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:06 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Wow those sirens outside are loud.
My hometown's sirens woke me up from my nap, how dare they !!

Crazy wind/scary black skies, then fizzle & nothing (thankfully) Over in 20 mins.

know a # of FTers hoping for bumps today.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
They were proactive on ORD-BOS. They changed one of the oversold flights from A319 to 757-200. The standby list jumped to over 40 and a majority cleared.

Originally Posted by mhnadel
Maybe next year should have a session on dealing with irrops?
I think that is an excellent idea.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I received the following from someone who was due to fly int'ly back right around the time of the warnings.

"We were ready for pushback when they closed the ramp due to thunderstorms... Then came the tornado warning and we all had to evacuate the aircraft."

If all the aircraft due to take off were evacuated that would be one busy terminal, and ORD is all windows! Wonder if they have a spot large enough in the basement to accomodate thousands (thinking how we were all in the ballroom).

Cheers.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:56 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I received the following from someone who was due to fly int'ly back right around the time of the warnings.

"We were ready for pushback when they closed the ramp due to thunderstorms... Then came the tornado warning and we all had to evacuate the aircraft."

If all the aircraft due to take off were evacuated that would be one busy terminal, and ORD is all windows! Wonder if they have a spot large enough in the basement to accomodate thousands (thinking how we were all in the ballroom).

Cheers.
I spoke to two FT'ers who said that when they arrived at the airport yesterday passengers inside the secure area were told to go to the bathrooms and stay in there during the tornado warning. Others, as you said, were sent to the basement. Pretty crazy.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Why wait for today? I know two who were flying DL to MSP, got confirmed onto an earlier flight, then got bumped off that flight ($400 vouchers each) and confirmed on a flight 3-4 hours later. Another couple flying ORD-ATL with DL SDC'd to an earlier flight at the check-in kiosk. Before printing their boarding passes, the kiosk said the flight was oversold and would they like to bid to volunteer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:24 am

Thanks to everyone!

First time attendee...learned a lot. Very well organized and great information. Can't wait for my next one!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Pudding Guy
If anyone wants to go for a run on Sunday morning, drop me a message here or at [email protected] There's a nice park with running trails not too far from the hotel. We can set time, pace, and distance based on who's interested. Nothing serious, but it'll be a nice chance to get some fresh air.
Oh jeez, I can't believe I just saw this. I would've loved to have done this run.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:54 am

Great time. Lots learned. Thanks so much to everyone. Yep, big delays at airport, but got to hang out at United Lounge with two flyertalk friends, then at Delta Lounge with others. My 7;30 flight was delayed two hours, but I got the last seat (standby) on the 6:30 flight which took off around 8 pm.

My head is overloaded with info -

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.