Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Seminars Oct 12-14, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Arrived at HI Elk Grove

The hotel looks ready for FTers to descend upon it. Gunter is still the hotel shuttle driver...a very friendly person and good local resource.

Beautiful weather. I think it's gonna be another great Seminar!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:18 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Charity Raffle Draw 9:45 AM

Get your raffle tickets before or during the Sponsors Workshop Sunday. Sharon says the prize list is "best ever"
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Those not attending can donate/get charity raffle tickets!

I spoke with FrugalTravelGuy & we decided that since the money raised is going to charity, those who are unable to attend the seminar event but would like to buy charity raffle tickets to contribute to 3 great charities & in hopes of winning one of the prizes will be able to do so.

Here's how it will work. If you want to donate, PM me ASAP & tell me how much $$ & which currency you're donating so I know how many tickets to allocate to you. I will respond with my address so you can mail cash, check or money order (please don't mail presidential coins!) & I will 'front' the $$ for you & allocate the appropriate number of tickets & will write your handle on the tickets. I will put your tickets in the 'big bowl' that we draw from & assign someone to check your tickets to see if you're one of the winners.

If you win, I'll accept the prize on your behalf and then PM you for your address so I can mail you the prize. If you're paying by check, I will mail you the prize after the check has cleared (that's the checks & balances part of this process ). For those who are donating foreign currency, it will have to be cash.

Again, here are the prizes & the # of tickets/currency:

Prizes:

The drawing will be held on Sunday morning & we've got some nice prizes, including 2-night stays in New York City and Las Vegas, as well as Kindles, a$300 Best Buy gift card donated by FTer poptarts, and other great items.

Note - if anyone wants to add something to the prize pile/stuff to be given out, please PM me what you're contributing ASAP - and don't forget to bring it with you. The more prizes the better! At last year's Seminar event, we had some prizes donated by attendees & sponsors.

Charity Raffle Ticket Pricing:

US/Canadian/Australian

1 Ticket for $5
3 Tickets for $10
7 Tickets for $20
18 Tickets for $50
40 Tickets for $100

Euro:

2 Tickets for 5 Euros
5 Tickets for 10 Euros
11 Tickets for 20 Euros
27 Tickets for 50 Euros
58 Tickets for 100 Euros

Great Britain Pounds:

3 Tickets for 5 GBP
6 Tickets for 10 GBP
12 Tickets for 20 GBP
28 Tickets for 50 GBP
60 Tickets for 100 GBP

I tried to match exchange rates/values when figuring out tickets per spend. Obviously it's not an exact science, but close enough.

Cheers.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:51 am

Information for those arriving at O'Hare:

The Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village hotel shuttle runs every half hour. Look for signs directing you to the "Bus and Shuttle Center" at ORD, and when you get there go to "Door 2" and wait for the shuttle.

The HI seems to be running 2 lime-green-and-white vehicles, both being those rather tall boxy vehicles that are larger than vans.

It probably isn't necessary to phone the front desk during normal arrival hours, 847-437-6010, to tell them you are at the airport.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat

The Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village hotel shuttle runs every half hour. Look for signs directing you to the "Bus and Shuttle Center" at ORD, and when you get there go to "Door 2" and wait for the shuttle.

The HI seems to be running 2 lime-green-and-white vehicles, both being those rather tall boxy vehicles that are larger than vans.

It probably isn't necessary to phone the front desk during normal arrival hours, 847-437-6010, to tell them you are at the airport.
...unless you arrive at T5 (International arrivals). Shuttles stop there on request only, so you do need to call.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I have an extra room at the HOST hotel!

EDIT: Extra room is now gone! - Rene

Last edited by Renes Points; Oct 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:15 pm

We will accept credit cards for the charity raffle tickets!

Ok, talked to Howie & we've worked it out (primarily because he has an iphone w/ the app on it) to accept credit cards on-site. For those who wish to use a credit card to donate, you'll need to see me Fri night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning. For Sat night donations, you'll need to see Howie.

For those using cash or presidential coins, you can see me or any of my volunteers to buy the raffle tickets.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:05 pm

BTW - some of the prizes include:

* 1 night stay New York City Marriott East Side
* 1 night stay New York City Marriott Marquis (literally in Times Square)
* 2 night stay New York City Renaissance Times Square
* 2 night stay Las Vegas Marriott
* 2 night stay Hughes Center Residence Inn in Las Vegas
* 2 Kindles
* 50% off certs for Starwood properties
* $300 Best Buy Gift Card
* Ear buds for airline travel

and more!

So donate lots & donate often!

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:35 pm

HI Shuttle Update

The Holiday Inn Elk Grove Village shuttle normally runs every hour...departing the hotel on the hour, departing ORD Door 2 on the half-hour.

This schedule may be modified to run every half hour (2 buses) when a large crowd is expected. The best guess from the front desk is that they will go to 2 buses Friday at about 2 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold UA CO DL BA SPG Hyatt Hilton Marriott
about laptops and tablets

Originally Posted by smitty06
The dress code is casual casual.

I would recommend bringing a laptop to take notes. Lots of folks do.
There are very few electric outlets in the seminar areas. Because of the very large number of us using laptops, tablets or notebooks (to say nothing of phones needing recharging), please everyone try to bring your power brick and/or multi-plug outlets. That way many people can access the limited power.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
Getting Stoked

Can't wait, heading out in the AM!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by zippyonthego
There are very few electric outlets in the seminar areas. Because of the very large number of us using laptops, tablets or notebooks (to say nothing of phones needing recharging), please everyone try to bring your power brick and/or multi-plug outlets. That way many people can access the limited power.
I'm bringing two; let's flip a breaker!

I'm relaxing in a suite at the Radisson Blu Aqua watching the VEEP debate. See ya guys tomorrow!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat

Also, there are several Holiday Inn shuttles but only one goes to Elk Grove. Make sure the shuttle says Elk Grove near the passenger door.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
So I arrive tomorrow at 3:30, where am I going to meet people to drink?

It's gotta be 5:00 somewhere.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Maybe I missed it, but how often is the shuttle running from the overflow hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.