TUCSON ARIZONA DO - Sunday March 27 & Monday March 28 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TUCSON ARIZONA DO - Sunday March 27 & Monday March 28 2011

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:56 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Btw, which El Charro location? I'm guessing the downtown location since that's a straight shot up the interstate from the missile museum plus it's the classic location too.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:54 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarshKing
The North 1st feels less authentic to me -- it is an oddly more formal atmosphere with wait staff, menus and ordering at the table. That said, the location could work well since we could easily drive a mile down the road afterward and leave some of our cars in the (free on weekends) parking garage on the UA campus. (The garage is located a block away from 1st/Euclid. & Speedway. We could drop off some cars and then drive a few miles down Speedway to I-10.)
I think we'll get authentic feel at El Charro Cafe in the evening so I like the logistics of the UA parking option for keeping cars safe. So to confirm, lunch is at the BK Carne Asada & Hot Dogs 2680 North 1st Avenue, Tucson, AZ - (520) 207-2245
Originally Posted by tlglenn
Btw, which El Charro location? I'm guessing the downtown location since that's a straight shot up the interstate from the missile museum plus it's the classic location too.
you are correct, the downtown El Charro Cafe location at 311 N Court Ave (520) 622-1922

Reservation is at 5:30pm as I'm trying to be kind to those driving in from Phoenix.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
Cathy and I will be there for dinner at El Charro, I can't remembet the last time I ate there. I used to live about a block away about 40 years ago, now I'm on the other side of downtown in the El Minuto district.

I need to work most of the weekend, so I won't be going to the Titan Missle Museum. I had a couple of Pima Air passes that expired last month, and haven't received the ones for the current year yet.

I may try to break away for lunch on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

sorry for the delay, I've got limited internet access.

No worries to those that can't make all events, if you can just make lunch, please do (ha no pun intended).

See y'all tomorrow for lunch^
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I think there some new lovers of the Sonoran hot dog.

MarshKing, I did my own taste test and I agree with your opinion that GC serves a better dog but that said, I certainly inhaled my dog at BK

Really enjoyed the missle museum, now looking foward to dinner. I think the Carne Seca has my name written on it. (Lean Angus beef sun-dried to perfection, shredded & flash-grilled with green chile & onions. Served with guacamole, Pico de Charro salsa, arroz & frijoles refritos or Charros & corn tortillas)
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
The Titan Missle Tour was truly amazing ( so were the Sonoran hotdogs). On my way to dinner @ El Charro for some more fantastic delights.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:26 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I had a good time at lunch today. Sorry to miss dinner, but I was tired, sweaty, and probably smelly about 20 minutes beforehand.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Please tell me this is going to be an annual DO, so I can make plans for next year? I'm drooling over the thought of a Sonoran hot dog!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Edited to add: I'm not going to be able to attend the graveyard tour as business, while on vaca!! :-( is keeping me glued to my laptop.

Originally Posted by MRKEY
The Titan Missle Tour was truly amazing....
54 of those bad boy sites used to be around. Wichita, Little Rock & Tucson were chosen because they were 'secondary' cities with good rural areas that in the event if struck by the Soviets would inflict a minor population death compared to the major US cities at the time.
Originally Posted by tlglenn
I had a good time at lunch today. Sorry to miss dinner, but I was tired, sweaty, and probably smelly about 20 minutes beforehand.
some were sweaty at dinner with the chilies but no worries, glad you were able to make lunch^
Originally Posted by kipper
Please tell me this is going to be an annual DO, so I can make plans for next year? I'm drooling over the thought of a Sonoran hot dog!
So far the odds would be good that there would be another one as so far, there have been Tucson Do's two years in a row now. Probably won't be planned around spring break as flights are VERY full & pricey.

For those that used to attend the annual Tucson Do's in the past, what did STIFFS stand for?
-

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Mar 28, 2011 at 9:14 am
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:45 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
So far the odds would be good that there would be another one as so far, there have been Tucson Do's two years in a row now. Probably won't be planned around spring break as flights are VERY full & pricey.

For those that used to attend the annual Tucson Do's in the past, what did STIFFS stand for?
-
Then, I'll need to add it to my schedule for next year.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:06 pm
In memoriam

Edited to add: I'm not going to be able to attend the graveyard tour as business, while on vaca!! :-( is keeping me glued to my laptop.

54 of those bad boy sites used to be around. Wichita, Little Rock & Tucson were chosen because they were 'secondary' cities with good rural areas that in the event if struck by the Soviets would inflict a minor population death compared to the major US cities at the time.
some were sweaty at dinner with the chilies but no worries, glad you were able to make lunch^

-

STIFFS : South Tucson International Frequent Flyer Society
Old Apr 3, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold

-
It was Old Golds deal ( I still have luggage tags <g>); but I think it was

South Tucson International Frequent Flyers Association
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:41 pm
doc

Originally Posted by Old Gold
Cathy and I will be there for dinner at El Charro, I can't remembet the last time I ate there. I used to live about a block away about 40 years ago, now I'm on the other side of downtown in the El Minuto district.

I need to work most of the weekend, so I won't be going to the Titan Missle Museum. I had a couple of Pima Air passes that expired last month, and haven't received the ones for the current year yet.

I may try to break away for lunch on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow
---

Just checked in for the 1st time in I dont know how long..
Wanted to post to say hi to you & Cathy.. trust you are both very well..
Please let me know when you are next in NYC.
BTW, my last visit to EL Charro was '86, I think.. too long ago.. lol
I'm still proudly sporting your original issue, pre FT, 'OLD GOLD' luggage tag
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doc
BTW, my last visit to EL Charro was '86, I think.. too long ago..
it has been awhile
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:33 am
In memoriam

I'll be back in TUS 7-10 through 7-16 if anybody wants to meet up for lunch/dinner/drinks. Maybe a trip to The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum? Always open to suggestions. El Charro? Peruvian Cuisine?

Last edited by MRKEY; Jul 8, 2011 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.