FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Frequent Traveler University-NYC April 30th, 2011 (EVENT IS NOW FULL) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1186030-frequent-traveler-university-nyc-april-30th-2011-event-now-full.html)

TravelBossLady Mar 25, 11 9:13 am

As mother of ConciergeMike and friend of cruisr, I will be attending with cruisr.

beaubo Mar 25, 11 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by TravelBossLady (Post 16099830)
As mother of ConciergeMike and friend of cruisr, I will be attending with cruisr.

moms always welcome.

daiseee Mar 25, 11 9:19 pm

are there still hotel rooms available at the group rate?

Suzyrox Mar 26, 11 6:19 am

Just booked the seminar. Will stay overnight although only coming from Montauk. Can't wait as I was trying to figure out a way to get to the Chicago Do when this came up. I called the hotel directly and asked for the promotional rate. No problem. Rate is real good for this hotel.

clarelouise44 Mar 26, 11 7:37 am

FTU future Seminars

When you're making up the future schedule for FTU, think of Florida for the winter or spring! Wouldn't y'all like to get away from the ice and snow for a few days? There are lots of flights to FL and we locals would welcome you!

scentcrazy Mar 26, 11 8:08 am

Would really like to attend. Was just wondering how big is their parking lot if someone wants to drive in? Are there any independent garages nearby?

redreeper Mar 26, 11 9:22 am

Just looked at the scheduled discussions; very nice topics, excited about attending. ^

lili Mar 26, 11 10:42 am

Originally Posted by scentcrazy (Post 16104830)
Would really like to attend. Was just wondering how big is their parking lot if someone wants to drive in? Are there any independent garages nearby?

From the hotel's webpage:

Parking Costs at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel

$9 - $17 USD per day for hotel guests
$20 USD per day to park your vehicle overnight

From About.com:
Parking in Downtown Flushing, Queens

* There is a large municipal lot at 37th Avenue and Union Street. The price is right at this two-level garage. There is smaller municipal lot next to the LIRR at 41 Avenue, just west of Main Street. Another small lot is on Prince Street, between 38 and 39 Avenues, which can often be a nightmare to navigate.
* There are several private parking lots, like the one across from the Flushing Mall at Prince and 39th Avenue.

Dr Jabadski Mar 26, 11 9:55 pm

(next in line)

Uggh. Trying to pay with a credit card. Click on Mastercard icon, enter all the info, UNclick PayPal box at the bottom, click continue, get the following message: “You've already registered this email address with PayPal. Enter your password to log in.” When I return to the payment page, all my info is gone. Very frustrating. Any suggestions other than using a different email address? Thanks.

scentcrazy Mar 26, 11 10:13 pm

lili-

Thank you very much. Going to try my chances at the hotel.

beaubo Mar 27, 11 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 16107898)
(next in line)

Uggh. Trying to pay with a credit card. Click on Mastercard icon, enter all the info, UNclick PayPal box at the bottom, click continue, get the following message: “You've already registered this email address with PayPal. Enter your password to log in.” When I return to the payment page, all my info is gone. Very frustrating. Any suggestions other than using a different email address? Thanks.

we will try and assist you...stay tuned.

zoonil Mar 29, 11 8:14 am

Originally Posted by beaubo (Post 16112419)

Are spots still available? Please include me!

zoonil Mar 29, 11 8:27 am

Originally Posted by zoonil (Post 16121092)
Are spots still available? Please include me!

Just registered!

heacp Mar 29, 11 6:47 pm

On the registration page, it says "I need a hotel room (set to 1 for booking details!)" and the price is free. Does this mean we get to stay at the hotel room for free for two nights?

tommy777 Mar 29, 11 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by daiseee (Post 16103495)
are there still hotel rooms available at the group rate?

I will send out the hotel reservation link again shortly. There are only a handful of rooms left

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 16107898)
(next in line)

Please contact me at [email protected] and I will assist you.

You could try to switch browsers first

Originally Posted by heacp (Post 16124878)
On the registration page, it says "I need a hotel room (set to 1 for booking details!)" and the price is free. Does this mean we get to stay at the hotel room for free for two nights?

No, unfortunately rooms are 139 a night. Booking link will be sent out shortly

tommy777 Mar 29, 11 8:23 pm

UPDATE

Folks,

Thank you so much for signing up! There are now only around 25 seats available for sale.

SkiAdcock Mar 29, 11 8:27 pm

tommy, i know someone who was going to sign up but when clicked on the link it said the rate expired yesterday re: hotel.

cheers.

itsaboutthejourney Mar 30, 11 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 16125347)
tommy, i know someone who was going to sign up but when clicked on the link it said the rate expired yesterday re: hotel.

cheers.

;)

Dr Jabadski Mar 31, 11 8:14 pm

Trying to pay with a credit card. Click on Mastercard icon, enter all the info, UNclick PayPal box at the bottom, click continue, get the following message: “You've already registered this email address with PayPal. Enter your password to log in.” When I return to the payment page, all my info is gone. Very frustrating. Any suggestions other than using a different email address? Thanks.

Originally Posted by beaubo (Post 16112419)

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 16125307)
Please contact me at [email protected] and I will assist you.

Thank you both very much but not necessary. I’ve been away without a computer for a few days, sorry for the tardy reply. I registered on 3/27 (the day before I left) by using a different email address. Thanks again.

golfingboy Apr 1, 11 2:44 pm

So, I will be arriving in JFK around midnight on Friday; "Thursday night", so anybody planning on doing anything in the wee hours on Friday morning?

CDKing Apr 1, 11 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 16143183)
So, I will be arriving in JFK around midnight on Friday; "Thursday night", so anybody planning on doing anything in the wee hours on Friday morning?

I'm taking Greyhound so I wont be getting in until right before the cocktail party. Unless of course a nice sale comes up

cova Apr 2, 11 2:07 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 16143183)

I would bet the hotel bar will still be open!

golfingboy Apr 4, 11 10:09 am

Originally Posted by cova (Post 16145967)
I would bet the hotel bar will still be open!

That works for me! Is anybody going to be at the hotel bar on Friday around 1am?

My flight lands at midnight LOL

tommy777 Apr 4, 11 1:03 pm

Folks,

A little update. Only 7 seats left for the seminar, room block is full, but we are working on getting a handful more rooms. I will send out a link to the block to everyone who has registered when I receive it from the Sheraton, hopefully this afternoon or early tomorrow.

FamilyMan Apr 4, 11 2:08 pm

I've registered, but can't find a link to the hotel to book at the discounted rate. The best I can find is the commercial rate on Kayak.

I've seen in previous posts that the deeply discounted rooms are gone, but there were still slightly discount rooms available. In the registration process, it states that a link will be email...but I have yet to see it.

Please send the link via PM or other methods.

Thanks,
T. Connolly

tommy777 Apr 5, 11 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by FamilyMan (Post 16158613)
I've registered, but can't find a link to the hotel to book at the discounted rate. The best I can find is the commercial rate on Kayak.

I've seen in previous posts that the deeply discounted rooms are gone, but there were still slightly discount rooms available. In the registration process, it states that a link will be email...but I have yet to see it.

Please send the link via PM or other methods.

Thanks,
T. Connolly

Welcome to Flyertalk!

I sent out the live booking link for the hotel to everyone registered. Very limited rooms, so pls book asap as it's first come first served.

JonathanIT Apr 6, 11 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 16158156)
Folks,

A little update. Only 7 seats left for the seminar, room block is full, but we are working on getting a handful more rooms. I will send out a link to the block to everyone who has registered when I receive it from the Sheraton, hopefully this afternoon or early tomorrow.

Are there rooms left? The LGA Sheraton is showing sold out. I haven't registered yet... but the hotel is kind of a deal breaker. :(

tommy777 Apr 6, 11 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 16172991)
Are there rooms left? The LGA Sheraton is showing sold out. I haven't registered yet... but the hotel is kind of a deal breaker. :(

There are only two rooms left in our room block. No guarantees, it's first come first served

tommy777 Apr 6, 11 5:49 pm

UPDATE!

Folks,

The event is now FULL, but we have been able to move the event to a larger room and have added 10 more seats.

If you want in, please act quickly.

Register here: http://guestli.st/46425

Marathon Man Apr 6, 11 5:51 pm

A FT friend and I have registered already --and I booked my Sheraton room with two doubles for $60 and 4,000 SPG points about 3+ weeks ago. Seemed less expensive than the group rate!

We will be driving down on the 29th and bringing with us tall tales of miles and points. Plus some really good pickles--and I don't mean the kind what has a huge ego on here! lol

Looking forward to meeting people and talkin the talk!

tommy777 Apr 6, 11 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 16173164)
A FT friend and I have registered already --and I booked my Sheraton room with two doubles for $60 and 4,000 SPG points about 3+ weeks ago. Seemed less expensive than the group rate!

We will be driving down on the 29th and bringing with us tall tales of miles and points. Plus some really good pickles--and I don't mean the kind what has a huge ego on here! lol

Looking forward to meeting people and talkin the talk!

Drive safely. Two hours worth of free drinks will be waiting for you ;) (and me and everyone else :D)

Marathon Man Apr 6, 11 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 16173719)
Drive safely. Two hours worth of free drinks will be waiting for you ;) (and me and everyone else :D)

oh yes indeed!!!

and of course you can bet that after the two hours free, I will be either pushing to the bar to insist on using MY miles earning CC to pay for rounds and get reimbursed, or I will be piggy backing on others' tabs and paying my portion in coins hahahaha

RustingInSeattle Apr 9, 11 10:42 am

Departure time saturday?

Hey All,

Does anybody have a suggestion on how early of a bus or train I should book from NY to Philadelphia on Saturday evening? Would 7 - 7:30 pm be pushing it?

I don't want to miss anything but I have a 6 am flight leaving PHL and would like to get at least a couple hours of sleep prior to spending over 6+ hours on an Airbus 319 (with my recent luck, in coach).

gleff Apr 9, 11 10:44 am

Depends on how you plan to get to the bus I suppose but should be fine, and if you feel more comfortable you could always bail a few minutes early on Saturday to ensure you get a decent night sleep before your flight next morning..

GoingAway Apr 10, 11 10:10 am

Originally Posted by RustingInSeattle (Post 16188335)
Hey All,

Does anybody have a suggestion on how early of a bus or train I should book from NY to Philadelphia on Saturday evening? Would 7 - 7:30 pm be pushing it?

I don't want to miss anything but I have a 6 am flight leaving PHL and would like to get at least a couple hours of sleep prior to spending over 6+ hours on an Airbus 319 (with my recent luck, in coach).

If you book the train, you could always take a later one if you were to miss it as they run pretty frequently. If you book early, the aaa discount fare is usually pretty low on a weekend. As long as you don't print the ticket, there is no charge to cancel so you could even make a dupe booking for two trains and play it by ear that day as to which you take and which you cancel.

I would budget 90 minutes bt leaving the hotel and train time. It should give you a few minutes breathing room to get your tickets printed at arrival in penn stn

tommy777 Apr 10, 11 7:42 pm

All, the event is now FULL.

Sorry if you missed the boat, but we do actually allow people to transfer the tickets, so if you have bought a spot, feel free to post it here if you can't go.

The next FT University will take place in Denver on September 10th 2011, in conjunction with SMDIII. Details will follow shortly

Thank you all for signing up

tommy777 Apr 11, 11 12:01 am

Financial disclosure

All,

Due to the current debate started by a handful of Flyertalkers claiming that this event is a "commercial venture", I've decided to fully disclose the income, cost and expenses of this DO. It will be available at the event in April and also posted online in this thread. :)

Dovster Apr 11, 11 6:56 am

Originally Posted by tommy777 (Post 16196140)
All,

Due to the current debate started by a handful of Flyertalkers claiming that this event is a "commercial venture", I've decided to fully disclose the income, cost and expenses of this DO. It will be available at the event in April and also posted online in this thread. :)

You arranged for the hotel to charge $149 per night. It is now sold out but the preceding weekend its prices start at $169 per night.

You are asking for $49 for drinks for Friday night and breakfast, lunch, and snacks on Saturday. I paid more than that (per person) for one meal in Atlanta -- and I was the only one who had a drink.

If you can get me bargains like this whenever I travel, even without the seminars, I will be happy to let you make all of my arrangements -- and won't care in the least if you pocket a fortune.

From NYC Apr 11, 11 1:11 pm

I am presently registered for the event and cannot go due to a meeting that's come up out of town. If someone wants my spot, post a reply or PM me.

I'm about to cancel 2 nights at the hotel @ the special rate, the Friday night before and the Saturday of the event. Can't say whether those nights'll show up as available at the rate.

Have fun everyone and I'm sorry to be missing it and you all.

**Just an update that the nights at the hotel 29April-1May have been cancelled. Happy trails to whoever gets them.

markmuso Apr 12, 11 10:25 am

Originally Posted by From NYC (Post 16199180)
I am presently registered for the event and cannot go due to a meeting that's come up out of town. If someone wants my spot, post a reply or PM me.

I'm about to cancel 2 nights at the hotel @ the special rate, the Friday night before and the Saturday of the event. Can't say whether those nights'll show up as available at the rate.

Have fun everyone and I'm sorry to be missing it and you all.

**Just an update that the nights at the hotel 29April-1May has been cancelled. Happy trails to whoever gets them.

From NYC, just PM'd you about buying your event tix. Hopefully still available. Thanks!

-Mark