Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Frequent Traveler University-NYC April 30th, 2011 (EVENT IS NOW FULL)

Frequent Traveler University-NYC April 30th, 2011 (EVENT IS NOW FULL)

Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Happy Hour at 8:30 am on Saturday?

I know from experience that this groups like to drink BUT I just printed out my tickets and for some reason it says Happy Hour is 8:30 am on Saturday???
What time is the Happy Hour on Friday? I am staying at the Courtyard. The Happy Hour is at the Sheraton correct?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
My ticket is spoken for.
I will now contact the event folks and let them know who is using it.
Have a great event!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
7pm I believe and yes, at the sheraton
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
ticket still available

shot me a PM if interested in a ticket for the event tonight...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Pizzaman / Tommy awc4 is taking my place at the FTU.

I still have a ticket for the Randy Petersen Exec Summit available.
Also 2 nights accommodation - Fri & Sat.

Sounds like the FT Awards went well - congratulations.

Cheers, Storyteller

Last edited by Storyteller; Apr 29, 2011 at 6:57 am Reason: Add in accommodation
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Event screen at hotel says 6:30PM

Last edited by cova; Apr 29, 2011 at 7:45 am
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel
What's the best way to get to Newark airport for a Sunday afternoon flight?

It seems the purple subway line 7 is a straight shot to Grand Central Station, correct?
And from there what are the best options?
NJ Transit train?
Amtrak?
Shuttle services?
(I'm assuming a taxi costs significantly more for 1 person).

(I was previously thinking of taking a van from LGA, but it seems like this might cost more and take longer). It's pretty hard to find services, SuperShuttle wanted $90 (ouch!).
You can take the 7 train to the N/Q train at Queensborough Plaza. The N/Q train will take you to 34th Street which will link you to the PATH train. You can take the PATH train to Newark.

This is the cheapest option. $2.25 subway ride plus $1.75 PATH train ticket. But it will take considerable time. I would guess about 2 or 2.5 hours.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Geekygal16
You can take the 7 train to the N/Q train at Queensborough Plaza. The N/Q train will take you to 34th Street which will link you to the PATH train. You can take the PATH train to Newark.

This is the cheapest option. $2.25 subway ride plus $1.75 PATH train ticket. But it will take considerable time. I would guess about 2 or 2.5 hours.
The other options, which would be faster (but more expensive), would be:

(1) Take the 7 to Grand Central and then the EWR Coach USA Bus from Grand Central/Port Authority to EWR:

I think it's $15 one-way, take a look at the website for the exact pickup location. You can take the 7 train to Grand Central and then exit Grand Central to the bus stop. I believe the stop is on 41st Street between Lex and Park, but please confirm with the site below:

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

(2) Take the 7 to Queensborough Plaza, transfer to the N/Q train to 34th Street, walk a block to Penn Station and take the NJ Transit to EWR.

The NJ Transit is much faster than the PATH. Check the schedule below for times, as they do run every 20 minutes or so on the weekend. I think it's $6 or so.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tConnectionsTo
Old May 1, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Geekygal16

This might have been the best option since the subway - NJT transit combo took me 2 full hours (track delay on line 7) and cost me $16.75 to get to EWR (no time to buy ticket before boarding). Thanks every one for the suggestions.

Thanks to Tommy and the other organizers, speakers, etc. - great job!
Old May 1, 2011, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
thanks to the organizers of the FTU event.

I had a great time being there and meeting everybody.

Learned a lot, felt like I knew very little, and had fun doing it all!

See ya all next time

MM
Old May 2, 2011, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Charity Raffle Results!

Was traveling & offline yesterday, but as promised here are the charity raffle results.

FT/MPers raised $2,472 & Randy added in an additional $1,050 for a total of $3,522 to be donated to the Captain Dahl Foundation, Susan Koman for Breast Cancer Foundation, and Citycares, Hyatt's charity.

I'm so proud of everyone for your generosity. As mentioned at the event, we accepted US, Canadian, Euro, Great Britain Pounds, and Presidential Coins - and people donated all of the above! Might I mention that the $300 in Prez Coins were quite heavy

As mentioned at the event, people did not need to be present to win. I would post the numbers of the folk not there to collect their prize.

As it turns out, everyone but one person was there to collect the prizes when their ticket was drawn. The ticket that has a prize to be claimed (prize is United Systemwide Upgrade good for international upgrade) is ticket # 446349.

If you have that #, please contact tommy777 & make arrangements to send him your ticket for verification & then make arrangements to receive the prize. Since tommy777 is the person donating the UA SWU, you can just let him know the PNR you want it applied.

Again, thanks to everyone who donated at the event!

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It was nice to see that the Ipad winner had bought a TON of tickets
Old May 2, 2011, 9:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Was traveling & offline yesterday, but as promised here are the charity raffle results.

FT/MPers raised $2,472 & Randy added in an additional $1,050 for a total of $3,522 to be donated to the Captain Dahl Foundation, Susan Koman for Breast Cancer Foundation, and Citycares, Hyatt's charity.

I'm so proud of everyone for your generosity. As mentioned at the event, we accepted US, Canadian, Euro, Great Britain Pounds, and Presidential Coins - and people donated all of the above! Might I mention that the $300 in Prez Coins were quite heavy

As mentioned at the event, people did not need to be present to win. I would post the numbers of the folk not there to collect their prize.

As it turns out, everyone but one person was there to collect the prizes when their ticket was drawn. The ticket that has a prize to be claimed (prize is United Systemwide Upgrade good for international upgrade) is ticket # 446349.

If you have that #, please contact tommy777 & make arrangements to send him your ticket for verification & then make arrangements to receive the prize. Since tommy777 is the person donating the UA SWU, you can just let him know the PNR you want it applied.

Again, thanks to everyone who donated at the event!

Cheers.
Thank you soooo much for doing the raffle again, Sharon!

For the person who won the SWU, pls send me an email on [email protected] to claim.

Also, a BIG thanks to everyone making this such a huge success! My sincere apologies to the over 100 people who we could not fit this time around. As this was a first time effort for us, we didn't want to take any larger financial chances. It was either a 225 person room or a 500 person room. A big leap to take and due to short notice, it would have been tough to get all up to 500 people.

Steve Belkin who is the chairman for FTU, will send out a survey later this week. Please give us your feedback.

We encourage everyone to sign up for our friends hosting a Grand event, the Chicago Seminar late October.

Stay tuned for info about the next Frequent Traveler University!
Old May 2, 2011, 2:02 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Thank you tommy777 and everyone who made the FTU possible. It was a pleasure to meet many of you at the event and we're looking forward to the next one.

Originally Posted by tommy777
For the person who won the SWU, pls send me an email to claim.
So as it turns out, I had the winning raffle ticket for the SWU. As a thank you to the community, I am donating it back and tommy777 will raffle it off again at the Star Mega DO in September.
Old May 2, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
Yeah, I pulled out a box of coins and Sharon's eyes got really big.

In reality, I only needed to buy 10 tickets.

It would have been an awesome time, even if I didn't win the iPad. Everyone should go. ^

Originally Posted by CDKing
It was nice to see that the Ipad winner had bought a TON of tickets

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.