FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Frequent Traveler University-NYC April 30th, 2011 (EVENT IS NOW FULL) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1186030-frequent-traveler-university-nyc-april-30th-2011-event-now-full.html)

redreeper Apr 26, 2011 6:55 am

I think SkiAdcocks comments should be taken with a dose of humor- as I'm sure it was intended. And I am looking forward to both attending the event and supporting the charities. Sounds like there will be some great prizes. ^

As someone who does a ton of charity work, I can appreciate the enthusiasm of the host or hostess of the fundraiser. Its not easy doing fundraising in hard economic times, but without charity many of the organizations that do a tremendous job in making lives better for people (and animals...;)) would cease to exist. If you don't want to participate, don't - but cut the folks who want to make the event a success some slack, even if you don't think its the proper venue. They are doing it for a good cause, and if you don't choose to support them finacially thats fine, but the least you can do is support their effort.

CDKing Apr 26, 2011 8:11 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 16279714)
We take US/Canadian/Euro/GBP

Whats the exchange rate? :) I was just about to go convert my GBP and deposit in the bank but I will hold some of it for the raffle.

Any post FTU plans? Saturday evening in the city? Im not leaving until about check out time on Sunday.

aktchi Apr 26, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by redreeper (Post 16281792)
I think SkiAdcocks comments should be taken with a dose of humor- as I'm sure it was intended. And I am looking forward to both attending the event and supporting the charities. Sounds like there will be some great prizes. ^

I am a great admirer of SkiAdcock - if anyone is going to interrupt my conversations, please let it be her! :)

My comments are meant to discuss the general phenomenon. That you and I might appreciate such causes and workers, and what we might do with our own time and resources, are not the issue. Autism, hunger, battered wives, earthquake and tsunami relief in Japan, there is no end to genuinely good causes, each deserving of all the "slack" we can cut. Question is, which venue and which approach would be appropriate?

This is a short event and as it is, people would be struggling to find a few minutes to locate someone, catch up, ask a question, etc. My suggestion and preference is to be visible (set up a table, or even walk around with a sign), but refrain from active solicitation, which tends to and has interrupted conversations. I am afraid however that "refraining from active solicitation" is not suited to SkiAdcock's personality, and we just might have to gag and display her at a table with a collection box. :)

On a related note, I am also happy to invite hundreds of good charities and their extremely dedicated workers to come and mingle with us during the talks. In fact, if you tell me your work address and meeting schedule, I can send them to your business meetings as well. I can guarantee that every story will bring tears to the eyes of all meeting participants. Want to take me up on that? :)

SkiAdcock Apr 26, 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by redreeper (Post 16281792)
I think SkiAdcocks comments should be taken with a dose of humor- as I'm sure it was intended.

As someone who does a ton of charity work, I can appreciate the enthusiasm of the host or hostess of the fundraiser. If you don't want to participate, don't - but cut the folks who want to make the event a success some slack, even if you don't think its the proper venue. They are doing it for a good cause, and if you don't choose to support them finacially thats fine, but the least you can do is support their effort.

What redreeper said on both parts. :) It's all in good fun & for a good cause. If folk want to purchase raffle tickets in hopes of winning the ipad or other prizes, great. If not, no worries. The part about taking away your upgrades was a joke :D

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 16282165)
Whats the exchange rate? :) I was just about to go convert my GBP and deposit in the bank but I will hold some of it for the raffle.

Any post FTU plans? Saturday evening in the city? Im not leaving until about check out time on Sunday.

I'm frantically trying to find my notes from both SMD2 & Chicago Sem 1 to remember what we had for the exchange rates. I'm thinking the envelopes we wrote the info on were turned in to the organizers w/ the various currencies inside. Was going to send an email to folk who helped w/ both to see if they remember. I do know that the GBP/Euro folk get more tickets due to their curriences kicking the US$$ arse. But no worries - I'll have it sorted by the time I start collecting. :)

Re: Sat evening. I'll be at the event all day, but am actually staying at the LGA Marriott Fri & Sat night. I'm probably not going to go into the city due to a 6am return flight Sun, although I might if it was early enough. I'm around to meet up for dinner near LGA Sheraton. Supposedly there are some restaurants nearby. I'll catch a shuttle or cab back to Marriott after that if people want to meet up.

Cheers.

SkiAdcock Apr 26, 2011 9:59 am

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 16282362)
I am a great admirer of SkiAdcock - if anyone is going to interrupt my conversations, please let it be her! :)

. I am afraid however that "refraining from active solicitation" is not suited to SkiAdcock's personality, and we just might have to gag and display her at a table with a collection box. :)

:D :D

BTW - I'll be starting on Friday night during cocktail hour for 3 reasons: 1) tommy told me to! 2) folk who are drinking donate more ;); 3) if I can get most of it out of the way then, then I might be able to relax/attend the sessions. :)

Of course I don't know how many are attending Fri night cocktail hour, so some 'get your tickets, get your tickets here' will indeed be going on on Sat. It would help if people would just hold out the $$ while they are deep in their conversations. I have total faith that FTers can multi-task. :D

Cheers.

SkiAdcock Apr 26, 2011 10:01 am

Does anyone need a room at LGA Sheraton for Sat night?

Since I'm going to be at the LGA Marriott on Fri & Sat eves, I've got one at the LGA Sheraton at the conf rate of $139 if someone wants it. Please let me know via PM if you do. I'll cancel the room Thursday a.m. before I leave for the FT Awards if I don't hear from anyone.

Cheers.

redreeper Apr 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 16282362)
I am a great admirer of SkiAdcock....

On a related note, I am also happy to invite hundreds of good charities and their extremely dedicated workers to come and mingle with us during the talks. In fact, if you tell me your work address and meeting schedule, I can send them to your business meetings as well. I can guarantee that every story will bring tears to the eyes of all meeting participants. Want to take me up on that? :)

Only if they promise not to wake me up!

I admire SkiAdcock greater than you do ;)

And you actually paid for your flight? :confused:

jfkeze Apr 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Ticket Available!

I'm currently down in Buenos Aires, so no can do this weekend, if anyone needs a ticket send a PM and we can arrange something...

aktchi Apr 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by redreeper (Post 16284814)
And you actually paid for your flight? :confused:

Why else do you think I feel the need to attend the seminar - to learn how to buy raffle tickets? :D However, my LGA stop is part of a longer trip: ORD-NYC-NRT-BKK-NRT-ORD.

LIH Prem Apr 27, 2011 12:15 am

Winner of the ipad at SMD2's charity auction on board the charter flight, at Boeing's Payne Field.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_2..._GLH0710-2.jpg

Randy bought tickets for everybody on board, including the crew.

Bring it on Sharon. No CO blankets this time, please. :D

-David

Bacc Apr 27, 2011 8:23 am

Lost my tickets in computer snafu

Signed up for Bacc and Bacc35 and didn't print the tickets. Computer snafu has made the email inaccessible (my snafu really--I was deleting what I thought were unnecessary files). Do we need the physical tickets or is there some other way of access to the events--cocktail party & seminars?

BTW there's a great rate at the new Sheraton LIC, just opening tomorrow. $149 AI or 2800 starpoints + $45. Easy subway ride 20 min & closer to Manhattan

GrizShel Apr 27, 2011 11:29 am

What's the best way to get to Newark airport for a Sunday afternoon flight?

It seems the purple subway line 7 is a straight shot to Grand Central Station, correct?
And from there what are the best options?
NJ Transit train?
Amtrak?
Shuttle services?
(I'm assuming a taxi costs significantly more for 1 person).

(I was previously thinking of taking a van from LGA, but it seems like this might cost more and take longer). It's pretty hard to find services, SuperShuttle wanted $90 (ouch!).

GoingAway Apr 27, 2011 11:34 am

Check the NY forum, they have prices, etc but the bus from GrandCentral (also stops at Bryant Park and Port Authority) is the best bet imo to get to EWR

GoingAway Apr 27, 2011 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Bacc (Post 16288505)
Signed up for Bacc and Bacc35 and didn't print the tickets. Computer snafu has made the email inaccessible (my snafu really--I was deleting what I thought were unnecessary files). Do we need the physical tickets or is there some other way of access to the events--cocktail party & seminars?

I don't plan on printing anything to take with me and would deal with it upon arrival if thats an issue, don't sweat it IMO

Bacc Apr 27, 2011 12:00 pm

Lost my tickets in computer snafu

Originally Posted by GoingAway (Post 16289740)
I don't plan on printing anything to take with me and would deal with it upon arrival if thats an issue, don't sweat it IMO

You're probably right but its moot now. The ticket processing outfit emailed me new tickets & I've gotten the printed ones in my wallet.

Kudos to all.