Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Join us for a flight with Captain Denny on March 26 (and dinner on March 25) 2011!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join us for a flight with Captain Denny on March 26 (and dinner on March 25) 2011!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Join us for a flight with Captain Denny on March 26 (and dinner on March 25) 2011!

There’s a reason I told you to keep your calendars open for Saturday, March 26. I’ve mentioned Captain Denny Flanagan an endless number of times on the blog. He’s one of the United pilots that’s known as a “customer service captain.” He takes hospitality to a whole new level as discussed in this FlyerTalk thread, The Wall Street Journal, CBS News, ABC News, and a countless number of other sources. You can even watch an Early Show segment about him here.

I’ve had the pleasure of flying with him more than a few times, and even sharing a few meals with him during layovers, and he really is as great as the articles make him sound. What we like most about him, of course, is that he actually likes people that like to fly. Most people look at us like we’re crazy, while he embraces our little “hobby.”

Well, two years ago a big group of us flew with him on a flight from Chicago to San Francisco. 34 of us, to be exact, and we occupied 30 of the 34 first class seats on the 767. The flight was a blast, and Captain Denny even arranged for the callsign of the flight to be changed to “FlyerTalk 1 Heavy” (which led to some hilarious confusion, as air traffic control thought we were “FlyerHawk 1″). Anyway, these kinds of group mileage runs are great fun, so why not try and repeat the event from a couple of years ago?

With all that out of the way, our next group mileage run on Captain Denny’s flight will be on Saturday, March 26 from San Francisco to Chicago. It will be United 760, to be exact, departing at 1:15PM. Economy Plus is wide open, so that’s likely where the party will be, if most of us don’t get our upgrades (I’m not using a confirmed upgrade instrument, since I would actually prefer to be in coach, where I assume most people will be).

To kick off the weekend, we’ll be having an SFO-area dinner on Friday night with Captain Denny, and I’m sure we’ll have festivities Saturday morning near SFO and Saturday night near ORD as well.

Dinner on Friday night will be at 8PM at Max's Burlingame, which is within walking distance of the Hyatt Regency, where most people seem to be staying. The restaurant is located at 1250 Old Bayshore Highway. Since many of us staying at the Hyatt are Diamond members, I'm sure we can have a pre-party in the Regency Club and guest in anyone that would like access

I realize it’s spring break time and the fares are high, but trust me folks, you won’t want to miss this. Not only do we get to fly with Captain Denny, but it’ll be a fun crowd of mileage runners as well.

Not sold yet? Listen to the Channel 9 audio from two years ago (courtesy of bmvaughn), especially the first five minutes, to get an idea of what this’ll be like. Yes, the purser tells us on the PA that “we need to get out a little more.” Heh.

So, who’s in? C’mon, you know you want to! Spread the word please, and even drag a friend along if need be!

Confirmed for dinner:
aau
billyliu
bk3day
BTA
Captain Andy +1
Captain Denny +1
cawhite
chrisw
Daringdoo +1
dfreeman02
dsldog400
fooko2002
FriendlySkies
fsa_ea
fuw3 +1
garykung
geoffco
goalie
gomike
iluv2fly
imm2b
intl_flyer153
jmd001
JoeJSFB
kalkat +1
karung99
lesenok
LIH Prem
lucky9876coins
Mainliner
MatthewLAX
mmsnow
myairr
owlfalife
Pat89339 -- HR
ryandc99
Ryu2 +1
SFOMo
SFOTerry
Top of climb
United757
waterstrider

Maybe for dinner:
asya999
boxo
UNHBuzzard +1

Confirmed for UA760
bk3day -- RCC
boxo -- RCC
BTA -- HR / DIA / RCC
Captain Denny +1 (well duh!)
cawhite -- RCC
chrisw -- HR / RCC
dsldog400
fooko2002 -- HR / DIA
FriendlySkies -- HR / DIA / RCC
geoffco -- HR / DIA / RCC
gomike -- HR / DIA / RCC
hausrath -- RCC
iluv2fly -- HR / RCC
jmd001 -- RCC
JoeJSFB -- RCC
karung99 -- RCC
lucky9876coins -- HR / DIA / *G
MatthewLAX -- *G
mcc235
Top of climb
trainman74
United757 -- HR / DIA / *G
waterstrider -- HR

HR=Staying at Hyatt Regency
DIA=Hyatt Diamond
RCC=Red Carpet Club Member
*G=Foreign Star Gold

Last edited by lucky9876coins; Mar 25, 2011 at 3:00 am
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'll be at the dinner and on UA760 a.k.a. FlyerTalk 2 Heavy

Staying at the SFO Hyatt the night before, and probably the ORD Hyatt on Saturday night. Looking forward to meeting Captain Denny! Feels as though I go the opposite direction whenever he is flying!
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:05 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I must have missed the "save the March 26th" memo, as I'm already booked to fly on that day.

You can confirm me for dinner on 3/25 however. As always, if you need any local help, feel free to ask.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:25 am

Count me in, please, for both the dinner and the SFO-ORD!

Are most people going to be in E+ as a result of UA/CO status, i.e. should I shell out the extra to reserve a seat in that section on the SFO-ORD flight? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Edit: Seems like a moot point, since UA's seat map is showing E+ to be all full on UA760...

Last edited by Top of climb; Feb 17, 2011 at 11:33 am
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Top of climb

Are most people going to be in E+ as a result of UA/CO status, i.e. should I shell out the extra to reserve a seat in that section on the SFO-ORD flight? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Edit: Seems like a moot point, since UA's seat map is showing E+ to be all full on UA760...

E+ is not full.

Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:40 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I'll be at the dinner for sure, and maybe the flight if some lower fare buckets open up.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

E+ is not full.
Hmm, so it isn't. When I purchased the ticket I got a little bubble saying "E+ is not available at this time" and all the seats were blocked out, so I assumed it was full rather than just a tech glitch which it now seems it was.

Terrified for a minute there that I'd booked the wrong flight! Guess my original question stands then
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb

Each UA elite can actually guest one person into Economy Plus, so I'm sure someone can guest you. I'm already guesting someone, but let me see if anyone else going would be able to. All it takes is a quick call to UA by that person.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Wayyy too expensive to fly SEA-SFO-ORD-SEA... $576 :O
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Wayyy too expensive to fly SEA-SFO-ORD-SEA... $576 :O
Maybe a one/way saver award from SEA-SFO & ORD-SEA?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
There's not much saver award availability that week either. :-( Trying to come in from the mid-west and not finding much.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:44 pm

So 25k plus the cost of a ticket?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
So 25k plus the cost of a ticket?
My "&" should have read "or".. How about one saver award? Don't need a
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:52 pm

My "&" should have read "or".. How about one saver award? Don't need a
Sorry... wasn't meant towards you... just in general... rolling my eyes at the prospect of having to pay that much. It sucks

lowest bucket available SFO-ORD is V, for $230. That sucks too.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:26 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Count me in for dinner. Sorry, but I can't make the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.