FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   Join us for a flight with Captain Denny on March 26 (and dinner on March 25) 2011! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1185151-join-us-flight-captain-denny-march-26-dinner-march-25-2011-a.html)

cawhite Mar 11, 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 16012560)
And I just received word that Captain Andy, the SFO chief pilot, will be joining us for dinner as well!^

Great news - I look forward to meeting him and definitely appreciate him taking the time from his schedule to join us!

bk3day Mar 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Have any decisions been made respecting where the FRi dinner will be held?

I'm trying to finalize my hotel plans. My initial plan was to spend both Thurs & Fri night in the city.

However, since I'm without car, I'm wondering transit-wise, for Fri night, if I'm better off staying out by SFO.

If so, I'd likely stay at either the SFO Crowne Plaza or the Fairfield Inn.

Neither are my ideal choices but I gotta wrap up those promos, ya know ;)

fuw3 Mar 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Add fuw3 +1 guest as both a maybe for dinner. Thanks!

lucky9876coins Mar 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Sorry about the delay on a restaurant for Friday night. I finally got around to making a reservation at Max's Burlingame for 8PM, where we'll have the banquet room. I made it late since many people are flying in. We can have a pre-party in the Regency Club at the Hyatt Regency, given that many of us are Diamond members and should be able to guest several into the club.

If anyone else wants to join us either for dinner or the flight, by all means do. We'd love to have you!

FriendlySkies Mar 15, 2011 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 16041129)
Sorry about the delay on a restaurant for Friday night. I finally got around to making a reservation at Max's Burlingame for 8PM, where we'll have the banquet room. I made it late since many people are flying in. We can have a pre-party in the Regency Club at the Hyatt Regency, given that many of us are Diamond members and should be able to guest several into the club.

If anyone else wants to join us either for dinner or the flight, by all means do. We'd love to have you!

Looks pretty good..

Here are menus: http://www.maxsworld.com/maxs/map.php?id=17

Location info: http://www.maxsworld.com/maxs/locations.php?Id=17

boxo Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb (Post 15965366)
Are most people overnighting near ORD and then heading out the next morning? Trying to decide whether to go with an airport hotel or Chicago downtown proper, for a flight out Sunday evening.

Originally Posted by davef139 (Post 15892300)
Where is there going to be dinner on Sat? I will be in ORD area Sat with a car too and could probably go...

Any plans for post-flight DO(s)? I'll be downtown through Monday.

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 16027201)
... the SFO Crowne Plaza or the Fairfield Inn

Well, there ya go. Crowne Plaza is a half-block south of Max's.

For folks coming from the airport, take the Holiday Inn Express SFO South/Burlingame shuttle. Max's is next door.

... If anyone else wants to join us either for dinner or the flight, by all means do. We'd love to have you!

Flight booked.

goalie Mar 15, 2011 5:14 pm

It's about time you listened to me as I've been hucking you about Max's for the longest time ;). Now I just have took at the finances and transportation as I'll probably be car-less by that time :(

FriendlySkies Mar 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 16041405)
It's about time you listened to me as I've been hucking you about Max's for the longest time ;). Now I just have took at the finances and transportation as I'll probably be car-less by that time :(

We could share a shuttle from the airport to Max's :):cool:

lucky9876coins Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 16041389)
Flight booked.

Great! Dinner on Friday as well, or just the flight?

As far as Saturday goes, for those of you spending the night in Chicago, where are you staying?

FriendlySkies Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 16041638)
As far as Saturday goes, for those of you spending the night in Chicago, where are you staying?

I'll be at the ORD Hyatt Regency. Flight back to MCI is at 10:30am on Sunday.

goalie Mar 15, 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 16041494)

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 16041405)

We could share a shuttle from the airport to Max's :):cool:

:) But I'd have to figure out how to get to and from SFO (and BART + Muni will take forever.....:()

bk3day Mar 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 16041389)
Well, there ya go. Crowne Plaza is a half-block south of Max's.

For folks coming from the airport, take the Holiday Inn Express SFO South/Burlingame shuttle. Max's is next door.

Flight booked.

Thanks for the logistical help & great to see you're in for the whole shebang ^

jmd001 Mar 15, 2011 6:40 pm

... I finally got around to making a reservation at Max's Burlingame for 8PM,...

Haven't eaten at Max's in a while, but the last time I did, I was very impressed with how prodigious the portions were. And it tasted VERY good as well.

boxo Mar 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Great! Dinner on Friday as well, or just the flight?

Still working out Friday plans. Might not be able to get there till 9-ish.

I'll be at the Blackstone. Anyone else going that direction?

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 16041729)
:) But I'd have to figure out how to get to and from SFO (and BART + Muni will take forever.....:()

Hitch a ride with someone coming from the city.

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 16041802)
Thanks for the logistical help & great to see you're in for the whole shebang ^

Every once in a great while I'm good for something.

Top of climb Mar 15, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm at the W Lakeshore.

iluv2fly Mar 15, 2011 9:31 pm

On Michigan Avenue, above the Ritz. ;)

geoffco Mar 16, 2011 4:12 pm

I booked the Captain Denny flight weeks ago, made the reservation for the Hyatt, then forgot to book the flight TO SFO. Due to steep fares 9 days out, I booked to SJC and have a ow rental to SFO.

Scheduled arrival @ SJC is 6:30pm. It would be just awful have to take a vdb and a reroute to SFO along the way.

bk3day Mar 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by geoffco (Post 16047680)
I booked the Captain Denny flight weeks ago, made the reservation for the Hyatt, then forgot to book the flight TO SFO. Due to steep fares 9 days out, I booked to SJC and have a ow rental to SFO.

Scheduled arrival @ SJC is 6:30pm. It would be just awful have to take a vdb and a reroute to SFO along the way.

You aren't alone.

I booked SFO-ORD early on & then much later realized I forgot to book the JFK-SFO flight. :o

When I went to book that, all NYC-SFO fares had tripled! :eek:

Luckily, just before I had resigned myself to booking ex-HPN, the p.s. fares dropped back down to their typically high but at least in this instance, much cheaper level.

UNHBuzzard Mar 17, 2011 8:01 am

We'll be in town @ the SF Fairmont if anyone is staying there. Put us down as currently a maybe on dinner, I'll have to ping Ms. UNHBuzzard to gauge interest.

bk3day Mar 17, 2011 6:34 pm

FYI Hyatt 24 hr Sale - ends Tonight

For those of you staying at the Hyatt SFO, there's a 24 hr sale that drops the 3/25 nightly rate to $111.75/night

"Book on each hotel's individual website by 11:59 pm CT TODAY using code <SF24FB> to save on your stays at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, Hyatt Regency San Francisco, Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf, Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport and Hyatt Regency Santa Clara"

hope that helps most of you, me I'm now just doubly bummed I'm staying at the CP SFO (the sacrifices we make for promos )

jmd001 Mar 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Depends on what festivities get planned and where for Sat night. Anything in the works?

iluv2fly Mar 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jmd001 (Post 16055195)
Depends on what festivities get planned and where for Sat night. Anything in the works?

Maybe lucky will throw a minibar party in his suite at the IC! :p ^

karung99 Mar 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 16055275)

I am leaving Sat around 5 p.m. out of ORD back to SFO, I don't mind afternoon minibar party in lucky suite :)

What a great idea!

chrisw Mar 17, 2011 11:07 pm

waterstrider and I are in for both dinner on the 25th and confirmed for the party flight. Friday night we'll be at the Hyatt SFO, and Saturday we'll be in 5 E and F.

We haven't seen Captain Denny since StarMegaDO II / the FT awards when we played shuffle board with him at the hotel bar. I'm sure this event will be a blast.

Can't wait to see everyone.

boxo Mar 18, 2011 1:33 am

Originally Posted by karung99 (Post 16055369)
I am leaving Sat around 5 p.m. out of ORD back to SFO, I don't mind afternoon minibar party in lucky suite :)

What a great idea!

You mean Sun, right? ;)

goalie Mar 18, 2011 10:18 am

Shhhhhhh ;)

lucky9876coins Mar 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Maybe iluv2fly can throw a hot nuts party above the Ritz?@:-)

dsldog400 Mar 18, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm in for dinner Friday night & the Saturday flight on UA 760. Some Y seats just opened up, with 4 at $297, so I grabbed one. Maybe some upgrades cleared?

Is there a firm plan for Saturday evening yet? I have not picked a place to stay yet, and would be up for splitting a room if anyone is interested in saving a nickle. Plan to depart to points unknown Sunday about noon from either ORD or MKE.

I stay in San Bruno, near SFO, and would be happy to provide rides Friday night and possibly Saturday a.m. to SFO. PM me if interested.

iceman77_7 Mar 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Can't make it due to costs, but wouldn't it be hilarious if they were oversold and needed volunteers? Would be jump at the opportunity like they normally would or pass it up so that they can fly with Captain Denny? :D

lucky9876coins Mar 18, 2011 8:25 pm

In final preparations for the event (so I can reflect this on the front page of the thread), I'd appreciate if folks could leave a quick comment if:
a) they're staying at the Hyatt Regency on Friday night (yes/no)
b) are Hyatt Diamond and able to guest someone into the Regency Club (yes/no)
c) are Red Carpet Club members or able to guest people into the RCC by other means (RCC member/foreign Star Gold)

I figure we can all head over to the SFO RCC at around 10-11AM and have a pre-party. Hopefully we'll also be able to guest anyone that wants access into the Regency Club at the Hyatt for the spread on Friday night and/or breakfast on Saturday.

Happy to hear some more people are able to join us!^ Should be a great time.

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 16061548)
Can't make it due to costs, but wouldn't it be hilarious if they were oversold and needed volunteers? Would be jump at the opportunity like they normally would or pass it up so that they can fly with Captain Denny? :D

Hey, I've volunteered to be bumped off of one of Captain Denny's flights before, so it wouldn't be a first. That being said, unfortunately iluv2bump is joining us, so there goes my chance.:p

boxo Mar 18, 2011 8:49 pm

a) no
b) no
c) yes

Top of climb Mar 18, 2011 10:02 pm

(a) No
(b) No
(c) Maybe - I just flew my last flight to make A3 *G today, so status should show on bp, but it will depend on whether UA will let me in without a *G card.

bk3day Mar 18, 2011 10:09 pm

a) no
b) no
c) yes

jmd001 Mar 18, 2011 10:38 pm

a) no
b) no
c) yes

Pat89339 Mar 18, 2011 10:48 pm

a) Yes.
b) No.
c) No (I'm not on your flight, but have a 7 am flight Saturday morning)

iluv2fly Mar 19, 2011 5:21 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 16061878)
Hey, I've volunteered to be bumped off of one of Captain Denny's flights before, so it wouldn't be a first. That being said, unfortunately iluv2bump is joining us, so there goes my chance.:p

You know me only too well... ;)

1) Staying at Hyatt SFO Friday night.
2) Only a Platinum, but only 6 stays until Diamond.
3) RCC member, so can help out there.

BTA Mar 19, 2011 8:23 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes
Yes- although they have signage prohibiting this, I doubt enforcement
Yes

What about seats on the plane? Are people denying upgrades or trying to sit together?

Are there any organized activities at SFO pre flight besides RCC party?

chrisw Mar 19, 2011 8:23 am

chrisw is:

a) Yes staying at Hyatt
b) No not diamond
c) Yes a US club member (probably 2 guests but maybe just 1)

waterstrider is

a) yes staying at Hyatt
b) no not diamond
c) not a club member

BTA Mar 19, 2011 8:39 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sorry, double post.

Daringdoo Mar 19, 2011 11:01 am

Hi Lucky! Please put me and (+1) down for the dinner on Friday.

DD