Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Join us for a flight with Captain Denny on March 26 (and dinner on March 25) 2011!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join us for a flight with Captain Denny on March 26 (and dinner on March 25) 2011!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Was going to post have a fabulous time everyone! So I will - have a fabulous time everyone!

Re: bill splitting. One of the tips I learned from an FTer is figure out your individual subtotal (your food, drink) & add 25% to it. Covers tax & tip. That helped when we came up short a few times & is the method I use now for Dos. Would be intered in getting a copy of Pat's chart though.

There's a very outside chance I can make it to ORD tomorrow eve. I'm swamped w/ work & had to cancel this weekend's ski trip (the reason I couldn't sign up for the flight), but ORD is only 2.5hour drive. Just depends on work.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 8:22 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Re: bill splitting. One of the tips I learned from an FTer is figure out your individual subtotal (your food, drink) & add 25% to it. Covers tax & tip. That helped when we came up short a few times & is the method I use now for Dos.
Here, is it a bit higher and more complicated than 25%. Tax in San Mateo County (Burlingame) is 9.25% (9.5% in San Francisco plus an additional 4% Health Care in some restaurants that don't build it into the menu price) and tip for large parties in most restaurants (tables of 8 or greater) is 18% (some smaller ones it is 15%).
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Folks, I just got the tentative itinerary for the tour tomorrow. We're in for a real treat.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Here, is it a bit higher and more complicated than 25%. Tax in San Mateo County (Burlingame) is 9.25% (9.5% in San Francisco plus an additional 4% Health Care in some restaurants that don't build it into the menu price) and tip for large parties in most restaurants (tables of 8 or greater) is 18% (some smaller ones it is 15%).
What about just adding 30%?

Also, rounding up one's total to the nearest $5, instead of rounding it down, would help a lot! That alone could account for a couple of hundred dollars over fifty people.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Pat89339
And a further quirky complication is that the CA sales tax law prescribes that if the amount of the tip is totally discretionary (i.e., not a mandatory percentage of the bill), then that amount is NOT taxable. However, if the "tip" is really a mandatory service charge (as our evening will be), then it IS taxable ...

I think one of the services we should get for our mandatory service charge is individual checks ... so we can each get our individual miles!!!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
As far as tipping for the dinner, won't they add on a gratuity for a large party? Almost every restaurant I have gone to says that parties of 6 or more get an 18% automatic surcharge..

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Folks, I just got the tentative itinerary for the tour tomorrow. We're in for a real treat.
As long as the rain moves out of town, I'm sure it will be a great day
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:52 am

Oh stop being a tease! Spill the beans so I can get over the tears in missing out on it before dinner tonight.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Quick show of hands: How many of you would be up for dinner near ORD on Saturday night? We'll mostly be on west coast time, so it'll likely be around 9PM, which is still a reasonable hour. Captain John McFadden might be able to join us as well.

Thanks Pat, I think that would be helpful, if you don't mind (though maybe you don't need all 40 of them, some can hopefully share).
I can do an ORD dinner.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:11 pm

At ORD in RCC (C) now if anyone wants to meet.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, IHG
I'll be in DEN from 5-5:30 and LAX from 7-8:30 (with potential for an In-N-Out run) today - PM me if you'd like to meet up or grab a burger!

I'm also in for dinner at ORD tomorrow evening.

Looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Were you able to convince your wife to let you fly with us?
Not looking good. It's our daughter's 3-month birthday tomorrow and we were planning on taking her to The City for the first time, and I don't think I'm going to be allowed to skip out.

In addition, I was planning to come back on UA155, which was showing all 9's yesterday and even NY9 this morning, and now it's zeroed out. UALcargo is showing a gauge change from B767 to 67I.

[edit: now UALcargo is showing 155 as a B767, but a res agent says it's a 757. strange.]

Last edited by dfreeman02; Mar 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My ORD flight went mechanical.

I'll miss the dinner. See you all tomorrow morning in SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My ORD flight went mechanical.

I'll miss the dinner. See you all tomorrow morning in SFO.
Darn. I was looking forward to catching up with you over dinner tonight.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 5:13 pm

Smile

Fellow Captain Denny Fans,

I've been looking forward to joining one of his famous dinners for a while now, and it looks like I can make it tonight! I'll be driving and am happy to provide a round-trip ride to and from the dinner from anywhere along Highway 85 (Los Gatos, Campbell, Saratoga, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View) and/or Highway 101 (Palo Alto, Redwood City, San Mateo, etc.) or perhaps even a ride to/from SFO. Please just send me a PM if you'd like to make arrangements.

Is there still a pre-party? Time/place? Any special access/membership level necessary? Looking forward to meeting up with y'all and seeing Captain Denny's magic in person again!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Is it possible to guest me in to the Hyatt club room ? I can show up at the Hyatt at ~ 18:30 if its doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.