Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

*A / Air NZ Mega DO - AKL and CHC 11 - 12 December 2010

*A / Air NZ Mega DO - AKL and CHC 11 - 12 December 2010

Old Dec 12, 10, 12:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: NZ*E, QF G, HH S, AClub G, PC G
+ ^^^

Thanks wijomas, very well organized and I had a great time. Was good meeting you all, hope to see you at another Do soon
Old Dec 12, 10, 3:52 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Thanks all for coming and help to make the DO a success!

A very special thanks to Thai-Kiwi and chchkiwi for their assistance with organising things and playing tour guide; VJKoru, Bruce Parton, Olivia, Frankie, Terry, Murray, Kirk, Shirley, Viv from Air New Zealand (mostly for putting up with my ranting and raving trying to put things together ); our guide LG at Whenuapai; and of course our bus drivers Jason, Brian, and Aubrey.

There were literally dozens more behind the scenes pulling everything together and making sure none of us were terrorists, so a big thank you to those guys and girls as well.

See everyone next year or before!
Old Dec 12, 10, 1:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Thanks to wijomas, Thai-kiwi and chchkiwi for making my first DO a very enjoyable experience. While the behind the scenes look at planes and airports was excellent it was the people that made the weekend so memorable. Very much looking forward to my next DO.
Old Dec 12, 10, 8:34 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
At AKL QF Flounge waiting flights to SYD-MEL.

Thanks so much to wijomas, Thai-Kiwi and chchkiwi for their excellent efforts put into organising a great do. Thanks also to the Air NZ people and the RNZAF people involved in hosting our tours.

And thanks FTers for attending. A great weekend had and great to meet new FTers and re-acquaint with previously met ones. Looking forward to the next NZ DO.

As a side note, checkin at AKL was a zoo. EK413 from yesterday rescheduled (as EK8413) to 1520 today. Some pax from that flight had been rebooked to QF114 this morning. QF114 sat on tarmac (with pax onboard) 3 to 4 hours then was rescheduled till sometime tonight. QF priority checkin suite was chockers and the queues were going nowhere (you can imagine the line to the ticket desk outside)!

Once I got the attention of a checkin agent as she passed me (they were constantly in and out) and it was known I had a longstanding booking on QF044 I was checked in promptly. It was about that time that some progress started to be made with the general situation for the other pax.
Old Dec 13, 10, 2:16 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Just to add to the votes of thanks to all for organising and attending. Really enjoyed it and good to meet you all.
Took a few pictures of the hangars back to work and presented them to a bewildered group of engineers...Helped that one of my colleagues knew the CHC hangar well helping design it many years ago!

dj
Old Dec 13, 10, 5:03 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
2 smiley's is too short a message.
Old Dec 13, 10, 6:07 am

Programs: QF, AA, UA, AS, SW, CO
Adding my thanks again to Wijomas for a great Do. Also ThaiKiwi & Chchkiwi for their parts. And a big thank you to AirNZ & NZ Air base for allowing us such access, & the staff there who showed us their stuff with a lot of enthusiasm.

It was a pleasure to meet & spend time with all the Flyertalkers while we ate a lot of good food & explored lots of hangars.

We'll have to do it again sometime.
Old Dec 13, 10, 6:16 am

Got a patdown & the wand at AKL today. Just makes me feel right at home.

Serfty, thanks for the advice about the escape slide & low head room. Managed to change to something more roomy & watched someone else squeeze themselves in & out of 1A.

Also, the Discount Taxi worked out well. I did need to remind him that I was quoted $35, even though his metre read $48. Much better than the $65 we were charged Sunday am.
Old Dec 13, 10, 9:24 pm

Programs: Yes
Want to echo my thanks to wijomas, Thai-Kiwi & chchkiwi for putting together a great weekend, and to everyone else who helped out or came along and made for a great time.

If anyone else is heading home today, I'm at AKL now in the int'l Koru lounge. Otherwise, safe travels everyone - I hope to see you all again soon.
Old Dec 31, 10, 8:25 am

If anyone is around this afternoon, I'll be in the lounge at the AKL Hilton around 6pm, then dinner somewhere around the Harbour area. (Assuming my flight in from BNE arrives on time around 3pm!). Fly out 4pm Sunday.

Happy New Year to you all.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: