Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page > RIght place? Don't know...but positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated...

RIght place? Don't know...but positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated...

Old May 13, 10, 9:40 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon
RIght place? Don't know...but positive thoughts and prayers are appreciated...

I honestly don't know if this is the best place for this, and I am pretty certain that no one here has ever met my grandfather (heck, most of you have never met me beyond my words on a computer screen), but I just thought I'd ask for some positive thoughts and prayers for him from everyone here because...well, even if I haven't met you, I think that this is the best "secondary" family one could ask for.

Here's the story...he was brought to the hospital last week after falling. They successfully did a partial hip replacement, but after his surgery, he was having problems with his digestive system. Turns out, he had a knot in his intestine and they ended up doing emergency surgery last night.

Now they're having problems keeping his blood pressure stable.

It'd really suck if something like this is what took him. My Grandpa is the toughest, most stubborn old codger you'll ever meet. He was on Okinawa during WWII, survived a firefight with the Japanese, was a construction worker, woodsman and worked in a wood-processing mill. Pretty tough jobs, even by today's standards.

He is, by far, my hero and the only "father" I've ever known (my Dad died when I was 4 months old). He's a double Bronze Star recipient and a Purple Heart recipient because of his heroic actions on Okinawa (in the firefight with the Japanese, he took out a dozen of them with a flamethrower and a Browning Automatic Rifle).

So...with that said, if y'all could toss up a prayer or a positive thought for Eino, I'd appreciate it.

-Mods, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place-
Old May 13, 10, 9:52 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I am some one who prays & prayers have been said to the ONE who is able.

Side note another reason I'm scared of doctors & hospitals.
Old May 13, 10, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Plat, DL Plat somehow, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Going through a similar situation in my family as well, so I understand.
Old May 13, 10, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Best wishes to your grandfather ... any type of illness is scary at that age and complications make it moreso.

If you haven't done it yet, bring in some pictures for his hospital room it will make you and him feel a little better to see some good memories, and makes the staff personalize him that little more. Good luck!!!
Old May 13, 10, 11:09 am
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: UA .5M, SPG Gold Lifetime
Our prayers are with Eino. FlyerTalk is adamantly about civil aviation, but we users are still human .
Old May 13, 10, 12:08 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

This is the right place. FlyerTalk draws us together by travel and then by the members themselves.

Here's a big shout out to Eino and please let him know that I am extending a positive thought on behalf of every single member for FlyerTalk for his recovery. That's 262,780 positive thoughts!

As well, let Eino know that I personally appreciate his service to this country. His legion of honors and medals alerts us to his toughness and we just know he can pull through this one.

We all need heros and glad that you (wsucougarchick05) have one that still means a lot. As for the 262,780 positive thoughts for Eino ... well, at the time of this note, there were actually 262,781 total positive thoughts -- I saved one for you wsucougarchick05. Thanks for sharing with us.

Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05 View Post
I honestly don't know if this is the best place for this, and I am pretty certain that no one here has ever met my grandfather (heck, most of you have never met me beyond my words on a computer screen), but I just thought I'd ask for some positive thoughts and prayers for him from everyone here because...well, even if I haven't met you, I think that this is the best "secondary" family one could ask for.
Old May 13, 10, 12:29 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG Employee Level
Prayers in progress.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com
Old May 13, 10, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Best wishes & prayers, and ditto what Randy said.

Cheers.
Old May 13, 10, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
He's fought the tough battle before, and I trust he'll fight the tough battle now.
I'll say a prayer for him on Saturday.

Hang in there.
Old May 13, 10, 1:32 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon
Thanks everyone!

I'm happy to say that they've got his blood pressure stabilized and he's still fighting an infection (I believe it's related to his intestinal surgery). He's still not out of the woods yet, but he's getting there...

But the most important thing is that he's stabilized.

The power of 260,000+ (in addition to the prayers of my friends and family beyond FT) prayers/positive thinking/good juju is amazing!
Old May 13, 10, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Thanks everyone!

I'm happy to say that they've got his blood pressure stabilized and he's still fighting an infection (I believe it's related to his intestinal surgery). He's still not out of the woods yet, but he's getting there...

The power of 260,000+ (in addition to the prayers of my friends and family beyond FT) prayers/positive thinking/good juju is amazing!
Glad to hear things are looking up. We will all continue to hope and pray that he continues to improve and is home soon.
Old May 13, 10, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, CO, SWA
Prayers

and positive thoughts are coming your way from Florida. I know they work because I used them this past Thanksgiving for my Mom's intestinal surgery and just last month when my 47 y/o "baby sis was fighting Breast Cancer.

Tell, Grandpa Eino that he does not walk alone.

God Bless!
Old May 13, 10, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Platinum
He's still not out of the woods yet, but he's getting there...

Great news and thanks for the update.

Your grandfather is in our thoughts and prayers.
Old May 13, 10, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks everyone!

My thoughts and prayers are with you! The photo idea can really help. We had a family member who spent two weeks in the hospital last May. After the first day, we decided to bring in some of her artwork to hang on the walls. The hospital staff said that most people don't bring in anything to remind the patients of their lives, outside of the hospital.

Hang in there!

Hope to meet Eino some day!!
Old May 13, 10, 6:29 pm

Programs: co
As cougarchicks mom I also want to thank everyone for their prayers and good thoughts. I too believe in the power of positive thinking. So thanks again and may good karma continue to follow each and everyone of you!!

Search this Thread