Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since most of us will be w/o transportation & not being familiar with what's around the IAH Sheraton, I'm guessing everyone will either be at

* the hotel restaurant
* bar
* the executive lounge

- or all three!

Anyone know how far away the BBQ places are & how much it would be to share cab to get to/from? Calling Starwood Lurker...

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:16 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since most of us will be w/o transportation & not being familiar with what's around the IAH Sheraton, I'm guessing everyone will either be at

* the hotel restaurant
* bar
* the executive lounge

- or all three!

Anyone know how far away the BBQ places are & how much it would be to share cab to get to/from? Calling Starwood Lurker...

Cheers.
Mo's BBQ is the closest recommended BBQ joint to the Sheraton IAH.* According to Google, it is about 4.5 miles north on FM 1960. The exact address is 8321 FM 1960 Bypass West, Humble, TX 77338. If I had to venture a guess, I would say it would probably be $10 one-way by cab.

However, there are several that are closer. Follow this Google link for more information on them:

http://maps.google.com/maps?near=157...BQ&hnear=&z=11

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

*Recommended by my brother, who works for a freight company at IAH.

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Oct 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm Reason: better answer...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: *Alliance
Will be arriving JFK UAL mid afternoon on 10/31 and staying down town tthe do site. Will have car service picking me up on 31st and going to JFK on the 1st. If you are interested in a lift pm me. Should be able to accomodate 2 + me.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Links to the discounted reservation page are not working. Anybody got a good (read:great) discount code for me to use in IAH/SEA?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Mo's BBQ is the closest recommended BBQ joint to the Sheraton IAH.* According to Google, it is about 4.5 miles north on FM 1960. The exact address is 8321 FM 1960 Bypass West, Humble, TX 77338. If I had to venture a guess, I would say it would probably be $10 one-way by cab.

However, there are several that are closer. Follow this Google link for more information on them:

http://maps.google.com/maps?near=157...BQ&hnear=&z=11

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

*Recommended by my brother, who works for a freight company at IAH.
* Given cabs are so cheap (especially when splitting the cab fee) & getting a recommendation from William's brother for good 'ole Texas BBQ, maybe we can get a group together to go to the recommended BBQ place.

Would probably be more fun than eating in a hotel restaurant, and I'm certain the hotel will still get revenue from those who head for the bar after dinner.

Heck, if the hotel has more than one shuttle, maybe we could convince them to use one for a quick run to the BBQ place & then cab back.

Originally Posted by Bonnerbl
Will be arriving JFK UAL mid afternoon on 10/31 and staying down town tthe do site. Will have car service picking me up on 31st and going to JFK on the 1st. If you are interested in a lift pm me. Should be able to accomodate 2 + me.
* You have PM w/ question.

Originally Posted by BigAppleCoder
Links to the discounted reservation page are not working. Anybody got a good (read:great) discount code for me to use in IAH/SEA? Thanks!
* Supposedly the SEA rate expired (tommy's working on getting more rooms), but I thought IAH was good until Nov 3rd (or when they sold out). Right now the links are down for all the official hotels.

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Links to the discounted reservation page are not working. Anybody got a good (read:great) discount code for me to use in IAH/SEA?

Thanks!
If something is not working, please PM me the details (including the link and where you found it) so I can fix it or find out what is wrong. Our IAH rate is still valid, and we are working to get the SEA hotel rate extended.

Xyzzy
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

* the hotel restaurant
* bar
* the executive lounge

- or all three!
Or for the workaholics in the group: Taking a client to dinner.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by xyzzy
There is no official event Wednesday night, November 3.

Xyzzy
Thanks for the clarification. But may I suggest someone edit the following from the first post to clarify the contradiction:

November 3

We board LH440 (or CO 47 if you like to try CO) to fly to Houston

Evening reception at 19.00: will be a quiet evening alone (no official events), to allow people to recover from the past flights the participants starting the SMD2 for the domestic US portion join us from this point
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess

Last edited by mnmag; Oct 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm Reason: thread clutter
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:03 pm

For everyone hoping to book a room in Seattle I have good news. We just got 10 more rooms allotted to the group rate. They should be loaded in the system now. After this the Seattle rate will be sold out completely so book now if you haven't already!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
For November 3rd:

If there is anybody who wants to go to a bar or cool dinner in Houston somewhere near the galleria, Westheimer (such as a crawfish boil or something) or in the downtown, I'm very willing to make some proposals and arrangements and link it to my website....we could somehow organize a taxi-central at the hotel to group people or organize a supershuttle or something. It wouldn't be an exclusive event, just occupying a public bar/restaurant, but Houston has a LOT of places where we could have an impromptu party and suit almost all tastes...there are some fun laid back bars and restaurants.

I volunteer to organize that (or with someone that has some interest in helping)...in the sense that I don't bear any responsibility really for getting you there or back, just centralize a proposed idea and help you find a way there if you are interested. Houston is fun, don't have to stay out near the airport...what's a few bucks in shared taxi rides to see the city (or the Galleria part...)?

PM me if you are interested, we can bounce some ideas depending on the number of people.

MODS, please feel free to cut this post if I am stepping on your planning...

Last edited by Powers106; Oct 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm Reason: Sounded weird, and also found out that Magnolia has closesd (?) after 27 years, according to their website.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Also I haven't seen the TATL hit my account yet, but again I'm assuming that's due to them just processing in a batch.
I just received an e-mail from LH with a confirmation, indicating they've started the process of collecting. And my res can even be found on CO.com, can't edit my seats (yet) though.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
For everyone hoping to book a room in Seattle I have good news. We just got 10 more rooms allotted to the group rate. They should be loaded in the system now. After this the Seattle rate will be sold out completely so book now if you haven't already!
Just tried to book for the night of the 5th and it says:

The contracted rate is no longer available for this event. Please see below for the best available rate

Edit: Reserved the room anyway. Sent a message from the reservation screen to the property saying the contracted rate was not available. A friendly SPG agent immediately emailed me back and adjusted the rate to the contracted one.

Last edited by BigAppleCoder; Oct 12, 2010 at 7:53 am Reason: issue resolved
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Just tried to book for the night of the 5th and it says:

The contracted rate is no longer available for this event. Please see below for the best available rate

$225.02 - bleh
I spoke with the hotel a couple of hours ago. They were going to upload 10 more rooms and keep them open till Friday. Please try again later tonight. If you are still not successful, please let me know and I will check back with the hotel tomorrow.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

A little update...

Folks,

Here are some program updates:

Sunday the 31st: We will meet at the Westin Club at 6PM and after a few drinks, we will head to dinner.

The official SPG program has been moved from Sunday night to Monday morning at 830AM at the Westin Time Square due to a schedule conflict. Breakfast will be served, don't know if it will be in the lounge or somewhere else yet.

On Wednesday, we will give the Euro hoppers a break and have a quiet night with nothing organized.

Pick up for the "Meet the new United" event on Thursday is at 10AM at the Sheraton lobby.

Please show up around 930AM.

On Friday, please show up in the lobby of the Sheraton no later than 515AM.

I think that's it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.