Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM- Thank You, FT !!
Originally Posted by Minnesota Bruin
+1

I'm also curious if that is still the case. I heard something about $150 positioning flight...
As a "first -timer" this is also my question: what will be the cost pp LAX - IAH and IAH or ORD - LAX?? And also, do we book this through you or directly with the airline (CO)???

Thanks for any & all answers,

delacpa
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by delacpa
As a "first -timer" this is also my question: what will be the cost pp LAX - IAH and IAH or ORD - LAX?? And also, do we book this through you or directly with the airline (CO)???

Thanks for any & all answers,

delacpa
Read back, they already said they would have those answers for you (regarding fares for the charter flights) in the next few days.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by USirritated
Question, how do the organizers feel about people using Star Alliance carrier miles (in my case US) to book tickets on LH405 and LH440 in any class (I was able to reserve LH405 in F, LH440 so far only in Y, or whatever the fare classes are for LH) of service? I have the miles and would prefer to use them and save the money. I have the flights reserved now, but before confirming the reservation, and actually "spending" the miles, I wanted to make sure I am not screwing anything up, either for myself, or for the organizers. Comments please?
Feel free to spend miles money or whatever you can to book the flights. Note that we will not be able to support you to rebook such tickets if the schedule changes for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by Minnesota Bruin
+1

I'm also curious if that is still the case. I heard something about $150 positioning flight...
The group fare will have the feeder segment surcharge (last year it was 150$/segment in Y/V) if you need a segment to get to JFK to hop onto the LX or LH flight. However, this needs to be booked in conjunction with the group fare and not as a standalone. So if you want to to book ORD-JFK-FRA-IAH its no problem. But booking JFK-FRA-IAH// SEA-IAH is not possible under this deal.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Feel free to spend miles money or whatever you can to book the flights. Note that we will not be able to support you to rebook such tickets if the schedule changes for whatever reason.
What are the chances of the schedule changing? Is there some historical precendent for SMD I changing schedule after an equivalent point?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The group fare will have the feeder segment surcharge (last year it was 150$/segment in Y/V) if you need a segment to get to JFK to hop onto the LX or LH flight. However, this needs to be booked in conjunction with the group fare and not as a standalone. So if you want to to book ORD-JFK-FRA-IAH its no problem. But booking JFK-FRA-IAH// SEA-IAH is not possible under this deal.
I am looking at SEA-BWI (oneway) on UA metal from CO.com and it is coming out at $124+ one way. So even if the charter continued to IAH or ORD - it still might be cheaper to skip it and just buy a ticket outside of the group rate. On the charter return, if it flies, it would be a party flight - so might still be worth it.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by koroleon
I'm a bit torn here, as I want to try LX, but I wouldn't want to pass on the chance to fly the LH A380. Do you think there's any chance LH will announce the A380 schedule before our bookings are due?
I feel the same way.....Show some love to the other participants to thank them for their hospitality. I have a feeling that whatever we decide to do, we'll be taking a gamble, and will just have to decide which option would least disappoint us if we gambled and lost. On the other hand, at least "losing" is still "winning."

Even if LH knows the answer before booking opens up, they may not be able to release the information.....and I would hate to put our organizers in a spot.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
What are the chances of the schedule changing? Is there some historical precendent for SMD I changing schedule after an equivalent point?
I think it's fair to say that nothing is carved in stone until it's carved in stone. At this point we're still realtively early on and there are undoubtedly behind the scenes meetings going on. We already know for example that the charter flight might be an MD-11, or it might be a 757 or ...

Given that there's a choice between LH & LX for the TATL, and given that there's still plenty of speculation that LH may or may not have a 380 available for us, and given that we haven't begun ticketing yet, it's reasonable to assume that a few changes will come down the pipeline over the next few weeks.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
LH has published its A380 routes and schedules today for flights through the end of the year and JFK is not one of the destinations. It maybe worth the effort and going through the schedules to see if an A380 from some source is available for the Monday Nov 1 flight from FRA-JFK and then back that evening arriving at noon on Nov 2. I thought I read that 2 aircraft would support that with the NRT flight - but now LH adds China and S Africa as aircraft 3 and 4 arrive.

If it is possible - then maybe a chance. If the schedules do not allow it - then A380 simply is not going to happen. LH would have to use that flight if they could as a PR flight to JFK. Let's see what happens, but some analysis is likely needed.

If A380 is completely out - then maybe the organizers should consider a Sunday night flight over for an extra day in FRA?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
If A380 is completely out - then maybe the organizers should consider a Sunday night flight over for an extra day in FRA?
This is a great idea. It would make for a more pleasant trip to Europe, would help justify the more expensive Z fare and wouldn't require most of us (I guess) to take an extra day off from work.

That being said I understand what a nightmare this is for our beloved organizers, so I'm sure there's a reason for the Mon departure. But I second the idea
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This sounds interesting. I'm actually flying back through IAH in CO biz on Nov 1st. I'm sure I could arrange a stopover here before heading back to Phx later in the week. However, it sounds like it wouldn't do me any good since I wouldn't be allowed into the event since I hadn't booked the charter.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The dates are set in stone. So are the TATL flights. Everything else is subject to change
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This sounds interesting. I'm actually flying back through IAH in CO biz on Nov 1st. I'm sure I could arrange a stopover here before heading back to Phx later in the week. However, it sounds like it wouldn't do me any good since I wouldn't be allowed into the event since I hadn't booked the charter.
The tours, probably not. The FT Awards dinner is expected to be open to everyone who wants to attend.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
The new job will make it a challenge but I'm game!!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:53 pm

Where do I sign up? When do I sign up?? If the LH JFK-FRA is not going to be the 380 then I may be more inclined to go LX JFK-ZRH-FRA-IAH but will wait for the pricing-- hopefully it will be similar to the other prices. What's the story about the Starwood fast tarck?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by ac777
If the LH JFK-FRA is not going to be the 380 then I may be more inclined to go LX JFK-ZRH-FRA-IAH but will wait for the pricing-- hopefully it will be similar to the other prices.
+1. Even if the LH A380 is on that route, I'm not holding my breath to fly Lady Bee (or whatever the next few A380s will be called) - there will always be another time to fly it, and I've flown an A380 before (QF A380 F).

On the other hand, if the quoted TATL LX J price is for real, it's certainly very attractive! Yes I know I could fly Y for peanuts less, but where would you see a price like that ever again? (OK, perhaps during the next or subsequent SMDs, but that's not the point!) Especially since this will earn points (only other time I can see myself flying LX J would be to burn points for it, because the standard rack rates would probably kill my bank account).

Also waiting for the FRA-IAH (or rather JFK-(LX)-ZRH-(LX)-FRA-(LH)-IAH) pricing....

A big kudos to the organisers for negotiating these rates with the airlines!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.