StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA,SQ no status on any
Is Seattle rooms bookable now?
(Just did IAH)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
So since all room types are up-for-grabs again, can anyone enlighten me which is the better choice at $119 (assuming no SPG status): Club room with lounge access or slightly bigger junior suite without lounge access?
How much time do you expect to spend in your room and how much entertaining are you anticipating doing? I've now managed to book a Club room for the three nights I will be in Houston, which is just fine by me. Rather have lounge access for after hours and breakfast. We had some very good conversations after the opening dinner in the Towers Lounge, and after returning from the charter flight. (Though I did luck out and get a nice suite at the Sheraton FARA for the SMDo1.) Will see what my comp'd Platinum status will get me in terms of an upgrade to a suite, since I do arrive on the 2nd well before the rest of the ravaging hordes!

Note for others who had wanted Club rooms but couldn't get them earlier, you can only cancel your original booking(s) by calling SPG res. Our bookings are not accessible online.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by NJviking
(Just did IAH)
Per Oliver a few posts ago:

"The IAH Sheraton link was released because we block booked the property as part of our FT Awards. The link(s) other hotel booking will be released later to thos who indicated they will stay a particular property."

Originally Posted by Shareholder
How much time do you expect to spend in your room and how much entertaining are you anticipating doing? Rather have lounge access for after hours and breakfast. We had some very good conversations after the opening dinner in the Towers Lounge, and after returning from the charter flight. Will see what my comp'd Platinum status will get me in terms of an upgrade to a suite, since I do arrive on the 2nd well before the rest of the ravaging hordes!
As shareholder says, it depends on how much time in the room you plan on spending. With no status, club might be better, unless you plan on heading back w/ other FTers to JrSuite to gab, party, which some folk did who had suites or jr suites at FRA Sheraton, in that case JrSuite is better. The rest of us did our good conversations closing down the bar in the hotel each night

I thought tommy was controlling the 'full suites' for the hotel during the 3-days & thinking of raffling them off to raise funds for charity.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
@ Oliver, thanks for updating post #1. Just a couple of schedule changes to LH flights.

On Nov 3, LH440 departs FRA at 10.25 (rather than 10.40) to IAH arriving 15.20 (rather than 15.30).

On Nov 7, LH491 departs SEA at 13.50 (rather than 15.45) to FRA.
(LH491 on Nov 6 departs SEA at 15.00)
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Renard
I agree this is a good place...but as you said, a bit far from the airport. Most people probably wouldn't have the time to go, not to mention transportation, there.

I have to admit that I am not at all familar with the north end of town besides the airport... does anyone know if there is something on FM1960 or near that mall area at US59/FM1960 in Humble? something in Spring?
I'm thinking it will be Mo's BBQ on FM1960. It's only 5 or 6 miles from the Sheraton IAH.

Best regards,

William
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Perhaps William or somebody else can tell us if our rate at the Westin TS for Sunday night will be eligible for the 3k SPG bonus offer for Sunday night stays at participating NYC properties? And if it is eligible, does that mean it will stack with the 1k bonus?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...30-2010-a.html

(note: registration required)

Thanks,
David
You will get both. This bonus is on top of everything else

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
Just wondered if CO had issued the Meetingworks Code yet?

I'm (semi-nervously) keeping an eye on the CO fares I need, and wondering if I should just book them now. If I leave it longer, they may well go up more than the Meetingworks discount would save me.

Will the Meetingworks code be a single-shot use? I need to nest two tickets to avoid the "Saturday Night Stay" rule and fly back to BRS on the last ever EWR-BRS flight on 06-NOV.
Spoke to CO on this on Friday. We will get this this week

Originally Posted by NJviking
(Just did IAH)
Hopefully tomorrow, Tuesday

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

I thought tommy was controlling the 'full suites' for the hotel during the 3-days & thinking of raffling them off to raise funds for charity.

Cheers.
The big suites will be allocated by us via a raffle.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Westin Time Square is now available for booking. We will shortly send out an email with a link to the dedicated booking site.

Please note that you need to use the link to get the price and also to get the points gifted.

There will be activities at the Westin Time Square on Sunday October 31st
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by tommy777
Westin Time Square is now available for booking. We will shortly send out an email with a link to the dedicated booking site.

Please note that you need to use the link to get the price and also to get the points gifted.

Will the Westin Seattle link also go out this week too, and the Platinum status match procedure?

Can any SMDo2 participants not flying to FRA join in the Sunday activities if in NYC?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
How much time do you expect to spend in your room and how much entertaining are you anticipating doing? I've now managed to book a Club room for the three nights I will be in Houston, which is just fine by me. Rather have lounge access for after hours and breakfast. We had some very good conversations after the opening dinner in the Towers Lounge, and after returning from the charter flight.
That was (almost) exactly my line of thinking, which is why I originally grabbed a Club room. I'd rather drink in the lounge than go hide in my bigger room. I'm not familiar with how Sheraton handles guesting into lounge, etc, so I figured better safe than sober (they do have free booze like Hilton, right?)

I'll help close down the bar too...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess

Can any SMDo2 participants not flying to FRA join in the Sunday activities if in NYC?
Yes, I would be interested in this, as well!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by tommy777

What kind of activities? I was planning to attend Carnavale in West Hollywood on Halloween, but "activities at the Westin Times Square" might be worth getting hassled for not sending out my annual "costume report" to my group list on November 1.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
That was (almost) exactly my line of thinking, which is why I originally grabbed a Club room. I'd rather drink in the lounge than go hide in my bigger room. I'm not familiar with how Sheraton handles guesting into lounge, etc, so I figured better safe than sober (they do have free booze like Hilton, right?)

I'll help close down the bar too...
If lounge access at Starwood properties works anything like lounge access at Marriott properties, then elite members, or club floor members can take guests with them to the club lounges. Does anyone know whether Starwood lounges allow guests for cocktail hours, breakfasts, etc.?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USirritated
If lounge access at Starwood properties works anything like lounge access at Marriott properties, then elite members, or club floor members can take guests with them to the club lounges. Does anyone know whether Starwood lounges allow guests for cocktail hours, breakfasts, etc.?
You always pay for guests but given the demands from what will be a full house, I would hope guests are restricted so the lounge is not over crowded and we get the service we are paying for.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
A Starwood Platinum member who wants to bring a guest into a Starwood lounge to sit and talk while drinking soda or water and having an appetizer or two would have to pay a fee for that guest, even if no alcohol is drunk?

If that is the case, that is surprising. It is amazing about some of the complaints that I hear about Marriott, as a long time Marriott Platinum member, but as usual, it seems that every program has its pluses and minuses, and they sometimes show up in surprising places.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:05 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by USirritated
A Starwood Platinum member who wants to bring a guest into a Starwood lounge to sit and talk while drinking soda or water and having an appetizer or two would have to pay a fee for that guest, even if no alcohol is drunk?...
A Platinum member can bring one guest, provided that guest is staying in the Platinum member's room. However, as with all things related to individual properties, YMMV.

Best regards,

William

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.