Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Exact same story with my friend. If our attitude is we ignore those who won't read every post, then I'll relay that sentiment to my friend, too, but I ask to be sure.
Think the situation is different & I certainly am not assuming an attitude by the organizers. They're busting their chops on putting this together.

The FTer I talked to was confused by info posted in the first 5 posts (especially the first one where it looks like the do is all 5 days, unless you drill down), and interpreted it as being more complicated & intensive & expensive than the charter alone is, and thus decided they probably didn't want to go on SMD2.

Others have mentioned similar confusion. The organizers said they'd take the suggestions by myself & others under advisement & might change the posts to be a bit more clear, although that has not happened yet. If they do indeed do that, then someone doesn't need to read every post in the entire thread but just the first few to find out the scoop, as oliver keeps the posts updated. Actually those are the only ones they need to read now. It's just that the current layout etc makes it seem a more complicated & expensive than it really is.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:47 pm

I have a questions about miles for CO charter. Total miles we will receive that are posted in this thread are for IAH-PHX-PAE segments. Are we going to receive additional miles for SEA-IAE segment, or amounts posted already include miles for this segment?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I have a questions about miles for CO charter. Total miles we will receive that are posted in this thread are for IAH-PHX-PAE segments. Are we going to receive additional miles for SEA-IAE segment, or amounts posted already include miles for this segment?
Please read post #587.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by lili
Please read post #587.
Thanks lili. I guess I missed it somehow.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:57 pm

Forgetful that I am, can someone confirm that:
  • The LX JFK-ZRH-FRA flights for Economy are booked into P class (both sectors)
  • The OS JFK-VIE flight for Economy is booked into W or S class; the connecting LH VIE-FRA flight for Economy is also booked into W or S class

If this is the case, then for those of us who are crediting to BD, whilst OS allows 0.5x miles crediting for W and S class, LX doesn't credit a single thing for P class. So for someone like me that can't afford J class and wants some value on TATL, this will mean having to choose between LH and OS only.

One thing that makes threads hard to search for is that we talk in so many abbreviations that the search engine doesn't handle these fairly well (keywords need to be at least 3 letters in length, which rubs out all two-letter IATA airline codes...)
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Thanks anat0l - I am flying LX and guess I'll credit those flights to NZ rather than BD in that case.

Also, is there any update on being able to make changes to the "booking" on the website as yet? Need to update that I will no longer be doing PAE-IAH.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anat0l
One thing that makes threads hard to search for is that we talk in so many abbreviations that the search engine doesn't handle these fairly well (keywords need to be at least 3 letters in length, which rubs out all two-letter IATA airline codes...)
Here is a trick for searching vBulletin forums with three characters or less... wrap your search query in quotes... You will find that "LX" returns results just fine!

I am not sure why web "masters" always turn on the search query character minimums, but they do.

d.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Forgetful that I am, can someone confirm that:
  • The LX JFK-ZRH-FRA flights for Economy are booked into P class (both sectors)
  • The OS JFK-VIE flight for Economy is booked into W or S class; the connecting LH VIE-FRA flight for Economy is also booked into W or S class

If this is the case, then for those of us who are crediting to BD, whilst OS allows 0.5x miles crediting for W and S class, LX doesn't credit a single thing for P class. So for someone like me that can't afford J class and wants some value on TATL, this will mean having to choose between LH and OS only.
There is also a third option of flying SQ for JFK-FRA which is what I'm going to be doing. The timing of the flight is only slightly earlier than the LH flight, and it earns 100% when credited to BD!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
It's already gone though I never saw it to begin with.
It was pulled Tues night.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by dyung
There is also a third option of flying SQ for JFK-FRA which is what I'm going to be doing. The timing of the flight is only slightly earlier than the LH flight, and it earns 100% when credited to BD!
Is that this:

01NOV SQ25 JFK-FRA dep 2200 arr 1050+1 a/c 744

which costs USD 391.10 (inc taxes) in Economy and books into H class (Flexi Saver)?

If so, that does sound like good value... then just hook up with the FRA-IAH on LH one-way back to the USA.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Is that this:

01NOV SQ25 JFK-FRA dep 2200 arr 1050+1 a/c 744

which costs USD 391.10 (inc taxes) in Economy and books into H class (Flexi Saver)?

If so, that does sound like good value... then just hook up with the FRA-IAH on LH one-way back to the USA.
That is exactly the flight I'll be on. As much as I'd like to try the LX/OS long-haul products, the fact that I can get all of the miles, fly SQ, and the schedules were very similar made up my mind.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
....I again said they didn't need to do TATL, but got 'push back' because to them it all looked too complicated when reading through the first few posts. They had not been on SMD1.

....But if you still have folk thinking the only way to do SMD2 is to do the entire thing & then deciding not to go on even the charter, when you're worried about filling up a charter plane or 2, you might want to think about making the differences more obvious from the get-go, vs having folk 'drill down' or deal w/ 'somewhat difficult to extract'....
Exact same story with my friend. If our attitude is we ignore those who won't read every post, then I'll relay that sentiment to my friend, too, but I ask to be sure.
No offense intended to anyone, especially to the organizers, who have worked super hard to put this fabulous DO together for all of us.

However, if there is even a chance that simply the length of this thread, OVER SIX HUNDRED INDIVIDUAL POSTINGS, is the cause of some people begging off participating, then I would suggest a need for more details, if possible, added to the opening posts by the organizers. Maybe a better idea might be a second thread, only for moderators and organizers to post in, which would spell out the details more simply, in a less long winded (not 600 posts!) way.

If I had not joined this thread from the beginning, meaning reading the early and all subsequent posts when first written, and I just found out about the DO now, I know that I would not want to read 600 posts in order to be well informed about this fab DO!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:27 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by USirritated
No offense intended to anyone, especially to the organizers, who have worked super hard to put this fabulous DO together for all of us.
However, if there is even a chance that simply the length of this thread, OVER SIX HUNDRED INDIVIDUAL POSTINGS, is the cause of some people begging off participating...
Maybe we should all just quit posting speculation and suggestions, myself included, and leave this thread for real information posted by the organizers?

My guess is there are 40 informational posts by Tommy, Oliver, Reb and Seth and over 600 meaningless posts by the rest of us.

Frankly, if you can't read the first few posts and figure out what is happening and how it works maybe you aren't StarMegaDO2 material. It's not complicated - if I can do it anyone can, but pehaps it's not for those who need a lot of handholding.

Just my thoughts... no offense intended.

Last edited by lili; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:34 am
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
I'm currently travelling AND WILL REWRITE THE FIRST FEW POST IN A BETTER WAY SOON

Current stats:

As of 2010-Jun-24-07:23:22
Total booked: 109
Y booked: 72
F booked: 37
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Exclamation starmegado details

Originally Posted by lili
Frankly, if you can't read the first few posts and figure out what is happening and how it works maybe you aren't StarMegaDO2 material ... it's not for those who need a lot of handholding.
Their questions aren't answered in those posts, but I know what to tell my friends now.

For the 600 post readers, there's DL doing a deal @ $79 base, $100 a.i., 1-way EWR-IAH/HOU Nov 3. Good for those who aren't taking Nov 3 off work:

DL3388 EWR-MEM 16:26-18:24
DL4063 MEM-IAH 19:20-21:20

DL2843 EWR-ATL 18:00-20:46
DL4319 ATL-IAH 21:50-23:04

DL2643 EWR-ATL 15:29-18:02
DL2661 ATL-HOU 18:47-20:08

DL2843 EWR-ATL 18:00-20:46
DL4309 ATL-HOU 21:43-23:03

Update: the fares are gone as of Jun 24 afternoon

Last edited by Richard Chen; Jun 25, 2010 at 8:37 am Reason: update DL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.