Wiki Posts
Search

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by anat0l
Just spread the word around Australian Frequent Flyer about Star Mega Do 2.

It'd be quite a leap for us folk down under to sign up in a pinch (what with the charter cost + Trans-Pacific flights + a few days of leave required), but here's hoping all the same.
* Hope you can make it! It's a blast! Maybe an award ticket for the TPAC part?

Originally Posted by Minnesota Bruin
I plan to mention SMD2 far and wide at the Chicago DO this weekend. I hope others do the same. I found a greater than expected lack of knowledge about SMD2 at the August MR seminar.

Although the $100 offer is generous, I'd rather just see some more, interesting folks join the DO! ^^

Also any thought about getting something out of unsold seats by offering an economy plus section with no middles?
* I'll be mentioning it at Chicago Do this weekend too. Might make up a flyer for it to give to people.

* Re: the middle/economy plus idea, that had been floated way early in the thread but the guys said logistically it would be problematic, I think more due to the galley situation. But something for them to consider again perhaps.

Originally Posted by Grace B
Isn't this somewhat CO oriented?
* I don't think it's that CO-oriented given we're also going to PHX & PAE. People don't have to be at the CO day the day before the charter.

But I think it raises a bit of a point in that some (even the domestic US country folk, not airline) are still thinking StarMegaDo2 is more than just the charter day & thinking it involves more time-off/$$ than it actually might.

Granted, the hope would be that you could make TATL or CO/FTA day plus charter, but technically it's only the charter - Fri Feb 5th - that's required.

Originally Posted by fly-yul
I would also suggest that you use the contact information provided to call those people that have signed-up and not paid. Some maybe off-line for a extended period of time.
* This is a good idea.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Will there be a lot of MegaDoers in Y on LH405 and LH440 as well?
I don't know if there will be a lot, but I am one of them! Unlike Mr Antinori's advice from last year's Q&A I have been both unable to "try to upgrade myself with miles..." (don't have an LH account nor enough miles anyway) "...or, buy a ticket in Business Class" (don't have enough money).

Patti showed me some maps to help me allocate some seats - I got 43C for LH405 and 37K for LH440; preference is forward window. Was gonna wait and see how the other FTers pulled up on this...
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
When do we get assigned seats for the Charter?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hope you can make it! It's a blast! Maybe an award ticket for the TPAC part?
Don't worry, I'll be coming. Along with another friend from BNE, and another BNE Flyertalker is coming as well. New Zealand, our mediocre neighbours are also well represented.

Most of my other friends complain they're broke. Hey, living in an economy with a strong currency ain't easy.... everything's expensive!

Originally Posted by Someone83
Last year we didn't know our seats until we were given our BPs. Don't think we had a "choice" of seats (except Business and Economy, of course). No idea how they were allocated.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Someone83
I think it was posted earlier in the thread that we'll get BPs the night before at FT Awards. I'm assuming for those who come in later they'll get them at 5:15am the day of in the lobby before we head over to the airport.

The organizers, in their copious free time , might want to update post #1 with data like that & then refer everyone to the first post. Or at some point once they get past the final sign-ups/payment issues, do a core dump via e-blast.

But I also think they said that they're going to the private website/only participants have access next weekend so we can probably wait until then.

Re: seat assignment. I didn't call Patti. When I called the 800# to verify my UA# had been put in (total blonde moment - as sbm12 pointed out, I could have done that at the counter at check-in), I asked about my seat assignment.

For newbierunner's seat chart, I'm currently in 1H on LH405 & 12K on LH440. I actually tried switching to an aisle vs window on the return, but the phone agent said she was unable to do it & to do so at the counter. I didn't think the switch was important enough to call Patti whilst she's trying to sort out final bookings w/ oliver.

Cheers.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The seat maps are filling fast!
Do you think you could leave a couple of seats for those of us on the waitlist? Kthxbai.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:09 am

Patti showed me some maps to help me allocate some seats - I got 43C for LH405 and 37K for LH440; preference is forward window. Was gonna wait and see how the other FTers pulled up on this...
Also in Y; haven't done anything about seating yet. I figured if we all tried to arrange our own seating, we would be scattered throughout the cabin.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by mnmag
Was this simply an oversight, or did she not want to receive any e-mails regarding SMD2?
we were not aware of this option/feature.

Please note we only registered last week, and paid within 2 days.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I've prepared templates for seatmaps of SMD2 flights like last year. So far I've only done LH405 C, LH440 C (and possibly F ) and the charter. Will there be a lot of MegaDoers in Y on LH405 and LH440 as well?
I bet there will be a bunch in Y. You can find me in:

LH405 Y 37D
CO47 Y 21D
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:44 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
I bet there will be a bunch in Y. You can find me in:

LH405 Y 37D
CO47 Y 21D
In order not to clutter this thread I was going to ask people to PM their seat numbers to me. I'm a little tied up right now but I'll try and post something by the weekend.

I'll see how many people will be in Y or on CO47 (or both!) and decide whether I have the time and energy to create more seatmaps.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by cedric
Also in Y; haven't done anything about seating yet. I figured if we all tried to arrange our own seating, we would be scattered throughout the cabin.
...which would probably be much appreciated by the non-Flyertalkers.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:15 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
New Zealand, our mediocre neighbours are also well represented.
I resemble that remark!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
So here's my question: my schedule might open up a bit, and assuming there's room in 10 days when I would be able to confirm, I might just go ahead and book the US portion of the charter. However, since I have already signed up for the FT awards, do I get a refund of said FT award fee if I am book the charter ex-IAH?

Also, I am a segment guy, so how many CO segments would I get from the SMD2 charter? Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Everyone has to pay for the FT awards, its not part of the charter or the starmegado!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Everyone has to pay for the FT awards, its not part of the charter or the starmegado!
That's good that way. Else, I would have to bring my suit with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.