Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

StarmegaDO 2010 (SMD2) Nov 1-6, 2010 Masterthread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Powers106
For November 3rd:

If there is anybody who wants to go to a bar or cool dinner in Houston somewhere near the galleria, Westheimer (such as a crawfish boil or something) or in the downtown, I'm very willing to make some proposals and arrangements and link it to my website....we could somehow organize a taxi-central at the hotel to group people or organize a supershuttle or something. It wouldn't be an exclusive event, just occupying a public bar/restaurant, but Houston has a LOT of places where we could have an impromptu party and suit almost all tastes...there are some fun laid back bars and restaurants.

I volunteer to organize that (or with someone that has some interest in helping)...in the sense that I don't bear any responsibility really for getting you there or back, just centralize a proposed idea and help you find a way there if you are interested. Houston is fun, don't have to stay out near the airport...what's a few bucks in shared taxi rides to see the city (or the Galleria part...)?

PM me if you are interested, we can bounce some ideas depending on the number of people.

MODS, please feel free to cut this post if I am stepping on your planning...
That sounds good. I will send you a pm.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
I could rent a car for the 24 hour period (or a van) ((I need a hit for USAirways grand Slam)) and we could (however many fit in a car/van all pile in?
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
I could rent a car for the 24 hour period (or a van) ((I need a hit for USAirways grand Slam)) and we could (however many fit in a car/van all pile in?
I sent a pm to Powers106. I am open for suggestions. I just do not know if organizers what us to discuss this in this thread. Maybe a new thread should be created to discuss wed evening options.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As the start of the Do gets closer, maybe we can get a roll-call or list somewhere for those who will be at the Sun night event & also who might want to share a cab or car service out to JFK the next day from Times Square area.

I had planned on doing the subway/Airtrain combo out to JFK (think that's about $7-9 a.i.), but if there are enough people going from TS we could possibly split cab/car service for perhaps not much more, or if not, then just do a congo line on the subway/Airtrain

Cheers.
Sharon, I was planning on taking a limo from Manhattan out to JFK late afternoon on Monday, November 1. If you want to throw in with me for the price of half a cab ride (I think a cab ride from Manhattan to JFK is $45), that would be fine with me. If one more person wants to join in, and each of us will pay 1/3 the price of a cab ride, then that will be fine with me.

(Going on the subway out to JFK would be okay, but a total pain in the neck when trying to cart around one checked bag and one carry on, both on wheels.)

I'd join in for dinner (and sharing a cab, or I could even rent an SUV for one night, since I am Avis Chairman's Club, and could have it delivered and picked up from the hotel) in an interesting restaurant with great company outside of the IAH hotel
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
OOPS! I forgot to mention that I will be at the Westin Times Square for the event on October 31, although I will be staying nearby at The Algonquin, what time will the event at the Westin TS begin?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by USirritated
OOPS! I forgot to mention that I will be at the Westin Times Square for the event on October 31, although I will be staying nearby at The Algonquin, what time will the event at the Westin TS begin?
Here's the latest:
Originally Posted by tommy777
Here are some program updates:

Sunday the 31st: We will meet at the Westin Club at 6PM and after a few drinks, we will head to dinner.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:48 pm

Sharon, I was planning on taking a limo from Manhattan out to JFK late afternoon on Monday, November 1. If you want to throw in with me for the price of half a cab ride (I think a cab ride from Manhattan to JFK is $45), that would be fine with me. If one more person wants to join in, and each of us will pay 1/3 the price of a cab ride, then that will be fine with me.

(Going on the subway out to JFK would be okay, but a total pain in the neck when trying to cart around one checked bag and one carry on, both on wheels.)
Limo ride to JFK from Westin TS for $15? Count me in...except will a limo hold 3 persons worth of luggage.... (I'm definitely going to have a checked bag)
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Powers106
For November 3rd:

If there is anybody who wants to go to a bar or cool dinner in Houston somewhere near the galleria, Westheimer (such as a crawfish boil or something) or in the downtown, I'm very willing to make some proposals and arrangements and link it to my website....we could somehow organize a taxi-central at the hotel to group people or organize a supershuttle or something. It wouldn't be an exclusive event, just occupying a public bar/restaurant, but Houston has a LOT of places where we could have an impromptu party and suit almost all tastes...there are some fun laid back bars and restaurants.

I volunteer to organize that (or with someone that has some interest in helping)...in the sense that I don't bear any responsibility really for getting you there or back, just centralize a proposed idea and help you find a way there if you are interested. Houston is fun, don't have to stay out near the airport...what's a few bucks in shared taxi rides to see the city (or the Galleria part...)?

PM me if you are interested, we can bounce some ideas depending on the number of people.

MODS, please feel free to cut this post if I am stepping on your planning...
* I'm up for doing something, but because those of us who will have started in NYC then done FRA & on to IAH will actually be a bit tired (vs those who might be starting in IAH), I'm personally leaning towards the BBQ option - for 3 reasons.

1) Hey it's Texas BBQ!!! 2) It's close to the hotel. 3) And - I've been to Houston before many a time, so not compelled to do the city per se. But the latter is unique to me. How long does it take to get into the city & what's the taxi cost? That could also make a dif for folk.

I do know some FTers are flying in that night & planning on hitting the hotel bar 9:30-10-ish, so for those interested in BBQ & hitting the bar afterwards, there will be some people to meet.

Originally Posted by jupper
I just received an e-mail from LH with a confirmation, indicating they've started the process of collecting. And my res can even be found on CO.com, can't edit my seats (yet) though.
* Yeah, I just received the same email. Although I'm a bit confused on why we had to submit all the safe traveler info via online in order to book & yet are still given a pdf to give to LH agents as we board in FRA. What was the point of filling it out online?

Folks,

Here are some program updates:

Sunday the 31st: We will meet at the Westin Club at 6PM and after a few drinks, we will head to dinner.

The official SPG program has been moved from Sunday night to Monday morning at 830AM at the Westin Time Square due to a schedule conflict. Breakfast will be served, don't know if it will be in the lounge or somewhere else yet.

On Wednesday, we will give the Euro hoppers a break and have a quiet night with nothing organized.

Pick up for the "Meet the new United" event on Thursday is at 10AM at the Sheraton lobby.

Please show up around 930AM.

On Friday, please show up in the lobby of the Sheraton no later than 515AM.

I think that's it.
Drat - I finally booked my flight to NYC last week to arrive on the 31st because of the kick-off event - as it had been listed for months on the 31st, and which now has been changed to breakfast the next morning. Sounds like some others did the same w/ moving flights to attend. If I'd known it was only a brekkie, I probably would have just flown in on the 1st & saved myself a $300 hotel bill.

Having said that, originally the event on the 31st was a 'you had to be on the charter to attend' event. So - is this dinner still an official 'charter only dinner' or is it 'any FTer can come along dinner'?

A few other items: approximate cost of $$ for dinner cuz I'm presuming the dinner place isn't going to take a lot of credit cards & since the Westin isn't hosting anything on the 31st, we'll be on our own for payment. And also for those who might not be staying at the Westin, is someone guesting us into the club for 6pm drinkies?

tommy & oliver, you might want to - a) update post # 1, b) update the starmegado website & c) send out an email blast - with your updates, especially on the timelines for both Thurs & Fri start times as well as the change to Sunday.

I sent a pm to Powers106. I am open for suggestions. I just do not know if organizers what us to discuss this in this thread. Maybe a new thread should be created to discuss wed evening options.
* Could be a new thread since there is both the BBQ & also the 'in the city' option, or eh - everything else is being discussed on this thread, what's a bit more at this point?

Having said that, since Wed is no longer an evening reception but everyone on their own thing, then a separate thread might be ok because then the 'locals' could join if they so wished.

* I had PM'd bonnerbl earlier but not heard back. But if I can get 'non-stop' vs 'connection' for not too much more than the connection cost, I'd be interested in sharing a car service w/ someone.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Oct 11, 2010 at 8:12 pm
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Drat - I finally booked my flight to NYC last week to arrive on the 31st because of the kick-off event - as it had been listed for months on the 31st, and which now has been changed to breakfast the next morning. Sounds like some others did the same w/ moving flights to attend. If I'd known it was only a brekkie, I probably would have just flown in on the 1st & saved myself a $300 hotel bill.

Having said that, originally the event on the 31st was a 'you had to be on the charter to attend' event. So - is this dinner still an official charter only dinner or is it any FTer can come along dinner? A few other items: approximate cost of $$ for dinner cuz I'm presuming the dinner place isn't going to take a lot of credit cards. And also for those who might not be staying at the Westin, is someone guesting us into the club?

Cheers.
Don't worry, Sunday night will be worth while and it will be reasonable AND take credit cards . I will contact everyone personally make sure everyone gets access to the club.

The event for Monday morning will not just be a breakfast. (to me it's the same if it's Sunday night or early Monday for Starwood to do their program, I would have to fly in Sunday night anyways). It will be an interesting program after breakfast before heading to JFK.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Don't worry, Sunday night will be worth while and it will be reasonable AND take credit cards . I will contact everyone personally make sure everyone gets access to the club.

The event for Monday morning will not just be a breakfast. (to me it's the same if it's Sunday night or early Monday for Starwood to do their program, I would have to fly in Sunday night anyways). It will be an interesting program after breakfast before heading to JFK.
I am very curious now!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l
Limo ride to JFK from Westin TS for $15? Count me in...except will a limo hold 3 persons worth of luggage.... (I'm definitely going to have a checked bag)
....snip....

* I had PM'd bonnerbl earlier but not heard back. But if I can get 'non-stop' vs 'connection' for not too much more than the connection cost, I'd be interested in sharing a car service w/ someone.

Cheers.
Sorry, I misquoted, the price to JFK is $48, not $45 (plus the ubiquitous tolls and tip), and yes, a town car should carry luggage for three people, but I could always arrange a van if you prefer, and then we could take four people. Comments?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I spoke with the hotel a couple of hours ago. They were going to upload 10 more rooms and keep them open till Friday. Please try again later tonight. If you are still not successful, please let me know and I will check back with the hotel tomorrow.
Was able to book my room at the contracted rate as of 11:30 EST tonight...
Thanks for arranging that.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
* Yeah, I just received the same email. Although I'm a bit confused on why we had to submit all the safe traveler info via online in order to book & yet are still given a pdf to give to LH agents as we board in FRA. What was the point of filling it out online?
The pdf to submit the data is standard and comes with every booking email, whether you filled in the data into the PNR or not.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The pdf to submit the data is standard and comes with every booking email, whether you filled in the data into the PNR or not.
Okay, I was in the hospital, so I think that I'm missing something here, what PDF to submit what data? Sorry to be playing catch up here.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Okay, I was in the hospital, so I think that I'm missing something here, what PDF to submit what data? Sorry to be playing catch up here.
Its for those flying across the pond, since you are not doing that, nothing for you to get worried about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.