Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN Do 2011 January 14-16, 2011 Singapore, SG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by dedehans
How many bottles of DF booze can I (US citizen) bring into SIN? Quart, gallon?
Need to buy a bottle for cousin who is a SIN resident and hosed on the price of her favorite scotch...

I always buy at that DF shop near the baggage claim area....just don't remember the allowance....
If I am reading this right, 1L only.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/tr...oncessions.htm
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Need to buy a bottle for cousin who is a SIN resident and hosed on the price of her favorite scotch...

I always buy at that DF shop near the baggage claim area....just don't remember the allowance....
You're allowed a litre each of beer, wine and spirits.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: United 1K; AA EXP; Delta Plat Medallion; Starwood Plat
Whew!!
Finally found a moment to breathe. Been working like a beast. At ORD right now for my flight to Bangkok. Fingers crossed that the upgrades clear or I ain't going--too much torture to fly in Y. Spending a couple of days in Bangkok and then heading to Sin late 1/13 on SIN on Singapore airlines 981 arriving at 0023 on 1/14 and will hangout at Changi until time for the tour at 9:30. Staying at the Sheraton on 1/14 and the St. Regis on the 15th, and back to the Sheraton on the 16th.
Brad, I'll look at the events and PM you which ones I will be attending, but definitely the airport event, Newton Hawker, and canopy walk. Will let you know of the others.
Safe travels everyone and look forward to seeing y'all.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
SPG Roomshare

I've seen on the thread the numerous posts re: hotel rates in SIN.
If any of the guys on the trip aren't desperate for stay/night credits, I'd be fine with a room-share/cost-split. I'd just add your name to the ressies that I've already got (sorry, I will be needing the stay credits )
Am at the Sheraton Towers Friday night, and the St. Regis Saturday night (paid) and Sunday night (points).
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:19 pm

Ah, I love free weather-related re-routes . Thank you, AA Northeast Travel Policy.

Have now been able to nix JFK from my itin, go straight to L.A. for a play day in L.A. on the way! Will be around on the 11th before heading onward LAX - NRT on the 12th. (plenty of upgrade space on AA's NRT-LAX was available, in case that's an option for this clearly *A-dominated attendees list that just might be weather-stuck enough to try the dAArk side)

Last edited by skye1; Jan 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
In the event of a NRT misconnect

Presently the Narita Hilton is 7600 yen all in for the night of the 12th & 13th (AAA rate, international code is 430). Stay credit and Diamond/Gold breakfast for the Hilton stay. The Raddison Friends and Family rate is 7209. No points nor stay credit. Breakfast highly doubtful unless you can pass for DL crew. Both offer free shuttles including into Narita city.

If flights are delayed into NRT due to weather issues and your airline will not step up for a free room or a decent reroute into Singapore, these are quite attractive rates.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
starting out a day early

Hoping to beat the snow, I'm booked into LAX the morning of
the 11th, staying at the Four Points. Can sponsor into the RCC
or PC noonish the 11th or any time anyone wants to be met the
morning of the 12th.

Michael
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others

1 bottle of spirits and 1 bottle of wine and 6 beer as I recall. You can't substitute and bring 2 spirits for example.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
An Offer For Friday Night

I've been in touch with one of the folks who run The Comedy Store Asia, which I mentioned in an earlier post.

He's come up with the following offer for us at either of the 2 venues running that night - TAB (in between GH, Hilton & St. Regis at 442 Orchard Road, #02-29,) at 8PM, or Stereolab in the Pan Pacific Hotel closer to the airport at 9PM:

"Understand your group may make other plans but if you want to bring all 30 along to the comedy we can do tickets at half price and give you your own special seating area...so $25 a head instead of $50".

There are 3 different comedians and the show's about 2+ hours long.

I start the journey early Tuesday morning, and will be in Singapore the morning of the 13th. If you want to give this place a go before we meet up at Newton Hawker, let me know. I'll be going to one of the 2 venues for a number of reasons.

More info here, with further links to venues with maps:
http://www.thecomedypimp.com/comics.html
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by violist
morning of the 12th.

Michael
Michael, this seems like a great opportunity for you to stop by the In-N-Out Burgers on Sepulveda by LAX and grab some edible food for UA 891.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Some Updates

1. I tried posting a cleaner table showing who will be attending what events. I had to lengthen names with "_" and shorten hotel titles to get FlyerTalk to post an almost readable table. If someone knows how to post a flat HTML tabple, please PM me.
2. If you are planning on attending the Post DO, Batam Tour, or Seafood Dinner and you don't see yourself listed appropriately or haven't PMd me yet, please PM me.
3. I will be gathering a list of attendees for the Sunday dinner. Details are in the second post. Please PM me if you plan to attend so I can make an accurate reservation.
4. After parties. These are going to be on the fly and I may try to put one together for Saturday and Sunday nights. Drinks are expensive from mini-bars and anyone that has one in their suite probably doesn't need points, so I would suggest duty free.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by violist
morning of the 12th.

Michael
Am at the 4-Points the afternoon/night of the 11th! Perhaps I'll see you there!

And yes, flying out the morning of the 12th. Not sure I could visit you over at the RCC, as I'm flying to NRT on AA, but who knows..

Originally Posted by bschaff1
Michael, this seems like a great opportunity for you to stop by the In-N-Out Burgers on Sepulveda by LAX and grab some edible food for UA 891.
That, my good friend, is DEFINITELY the plan!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
HILTON High Tea/Lunch on Saturday

Ok we now have TEN people confirmed for the Hilton High Tea. We can take MORE than 10 people, but will need you to PM lowjhg. The hotel requests that if there are any additional people above the current 10 people, we'll have to call them first thing on Saturday morning to reconfirm the reservation. The long table has been requested. If your name is not on the list below, please let lowjhg know before Saturday 15th so we can ensure you have a seat.

Updated Attendees:
bseller
Downunder girl
Hvr
seanthepilot
spaceman
lowjhg
PeteJ
eightblack
skye1
qbrain

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...pore/dining.do

581 Orchard Road
Singapore, 238883
65-67-372-233

Price will be S$37++ per person, approx S$43.549 total (plus whatever you have for drinks).

Hilton took lowjhg's credit card details to facilitate the booking. So please do the right thing, and turn up if your name is on the list, or contact us if you cant make it. Many thanks.

Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday at 1pm.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Saturday Boat Quay Beers

As I mentioned upthread, I will try to coordinate Beers on the Quay for Saturday afternoon, after arriving there from DG's Hilton Buffet Lunch. The Lunch begins at 1pm, so I would expect to be on the Quay around 3ish. Give or take. This is SIN DO after all!!

The location we've used in the past is Southbank Thai at 35 Boat Quay. We have always managed to get a good "group rate" on Tiger pitchers, and I have no reason to believe we can't do it again this year!! If anyone gets there and no one is around, I'd think we can get pitchers of Tiger for 10-12 SGD. The "advertised" price has usually been 15 SGD, IIRC.

The beer drinking usually goes until late afternoon or longer when folks begin to disperse for the dinner.

I hope we'll see lots of the "usual suspects" as well as some new faces!! If you have any questions, PM me and I'll do whatever I can to accomodate!!

See you at Boat Quay!!
Dave
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by skye1
Am at the 4-Points the afternoon/night of the 11th! Perhaps I'll see you there!

And yes, flying out the morning of the 12th. Not sure I could visit you over at the RCC, as I'm flying to NRT on AA, but who knows..

That, my good friend, is DEFINITELY the plan!
I also booked the LAX 4 Points for tonight. I get to LAX at 9:15 tonight. However, I will probably just want to sleep when I get there. I'll ring violist's room and/or look around the bar when I arrive.

Oh, and this time for real: I did clear the upgrade list NRT-SIN. I'm in 11a.

I think I'll pass on the Batam trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.