Search

Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund -- FlyerTalk Cares Charity

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund -- FlyerTalk Cares Charity

Hi Folks:

I’m happy to announce that the Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund is now a FlyerTalk Cares approved charity. Captain Jason Dahl was the Captain of United 93 on 9/11, and one of the first people to give his life that day in an attempt to protect his passengers and crew. Based on what I’ve heard flying wasn't just his job, but also his passion; he loved what he did. As a result, in his memory a scholarship fund was set up by friends, family, and fellow pilots to give qualified students the opportunity to attend flight training schools.

Those of you that participated in the Star Alliance Mega Do did an amazing job raising over $2,000 for the fund. You can read more about that, and also see a picture of three of his fellow pilots, Sandy Dahl (Captain Dahl’s widow), and Randy accepting the check last month here.

This charity was brought to our attention by Captain Denny Flanagan, who many of you may know from various dinners around the country and even flight “FlyerTalk One.”

I figured this would be a good charity to bring to the attention of FlyerTalkers as many of us can relate to the events of 9/11 closely and also largely share a love for aviation. If you’d like to learn more about the charity, feel free to check out the website. There’s information there on how to make a donation, either via check or PayPal. If you'd like to make a donation, feel free to include "FlyerTalk" and your handle in the comments section of Paypal, as there might be some sort of raffle/drawing eventually.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With the anniversary of 9/11 quickly approaching, I figured this would be a good time to bump the thread.

Here's the message the Captain Jason Dahl Fund is trying to spread. This is a great charity, one in which Captain Denny and several other FlyerTalkers are closely involved with.

Here's part of the email Captain Denny had sent out to some FlyerTalkers regarding the charity:
My Flyer Talk Friends,

Attached is information about Capt Jason Dahl who was at the controls of Flight 93 and so tragically lost his life on Sept 11th 2001. Last year I was asked to join the board of Capt Dahl's Scholarship Fund. Our goal is to keep his memory alive and let those who want to change out style of living know that we can't be beat and they will fail in their attempts.

The past nine years we have given out a total of seventeen scholarships out to Jason's college, San Jose State Calif and Metro State in Jason's home town of Denver. In 2011 we are going national and will accept applications from any student interested in an aviation career. One of this years winners was quite honest and said he didn't know who Capt Dahl was until he googled his name.

I could use your support with the scholarship and also your help in spreading the word about the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship to anyone you know interested in aviation. If you are members of any aviation blogs feel free to use my name and be my representative.

Capt Denny
A passion for flying/aviation is what this group, so if you're able to help out, I know it would be much appreciated!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
lucky9876coins

Thank you for creating a thread for this, and I will be happy to donate.

Karung99
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Flyertalk really cares!

Folks,

Last year some of the proceeds from the Star Mega DO and raffle was donated to Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12908738-post2725.html

I'm proud to say, this years Star Mega DO we are aiming to support this great charity again. ^^

I can also inform you that the Star Mega DO team are already working with Capt. Denny and the charity to help out making a very special event for the 10th year anniversary of 9/11. Details will be released at this years Star Mega DO and here in Community.

Until then, this is a charity worth supporting, so if you can, please donate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.