Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do

View Poll Results: How will you pay for this Do? (Payment is due within 2 weeks of Registration)
paypal?
52.00%
check?
44.00%
cash?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus

Post #2 has links to the various photos that have been posted of the Do ...
The DC FT'ers (gvdIAD, UNHBuzzard, Flugvergnugen to name a few) would like to invite you to come visit the DC area for a weekend in May. We've selected the weekend of May 7 - 9 for no particular reason other than no one else seemed to have claimed it on the Consolidated Do List thread, and it's far enough from Memorial Day so it shouldn't affect travel over the long weekend.

ALL EVENTS ARE NOW CLOSED - REGISTRATION IS OVER - THANKS!!

NEW EVENT: FRIDAY ~11 am - 2 pm at IAD ... TOUR United's Facilities -- this event has separate registration - send email to [email protected] titled UA IAD Tour if you want to attend. Note all participants are asked to contribute 2-3 dollars pp towards a thank you gift to the volunteers doing the tours

Questions provided in Advance are posted here

Dinner and Drinks Friday night @ 6:30 pm -- Capitol City Brewing Company, located at 1100 New York Avenue at the corner of 11th and H Street, and a couple of blocks from Metro Center. It will be a pay as you go event. After-meet plans will be open and based on the attendees and interests.

Saturday - Day - There is something for everyone in DC from segway tours, to the National Mall, to the Smithsonian Museums (free) to the Holocaust Museum (sort-of free, no charge for the ticket but if you get one in advance you have to pay a small service charge) to the museums with a entrance fee including the Spy Museum, the Crime & Punishment Museum (new) and the Newseum, as well as the National Geographic Museum and Corcoran Gallery, etc. Really, there is something for everyone. This list doesn't even touch on what is available outside the city. Thanks to grizshel for offering to set-up some private Smithsonian tours

Other options could include a visit to the National Zoo, a walk along the C&O Canal or a boat ride down the Potomac. Also this is the EU Embassy Open House Day from 10 am - 4 pm -- expect large crowds, but it is interesting to visit a few embassies (you won't get through many more with lines, distance and crowds).

All of the various attractions (museums, Galleries zoo) are pretty easy to get to from the downtown area of DC, it's a walkable city and you can use Metro or a grab a short taxi ride (if the distance is further than you prefer to walk or are not staying downtown).

SPECIAL SATURDAY EVENT - LIMITED SIZE
For the lucky few who get their requests (and money, when it's time for that) in early, we will have a trip up to Hillwood Museum. There a limited number of tickets available, and those attending will head over to the Hillwood Museum in NW DC around 11 am for a tour. This is the estate of Marjorie Merriwether Post and includes lots of fascinating things including a number of Faberge eggs and Russian art. This visit will be a bit more special given gvdIADs patron status with Hillwood which gets us a private tour and perhaps other access. The number of participants is limited however, and will require advance payment. Expect about $45 for tour ticket plus lunch (which needs to be selected at registration)

Saturday Pre-Dinner Drinks - Particularly since dinner is later, we'll be meeting up for drinks at Zengo beginning at 7:30 pm (or earlier if you want to get started). They usually run some Happy Hour specials even on Saturday if you're interested.

Saturday Dinner - Zengo at Gallery Place 8:30 pm If the group is large enough, we are considering having two venues with different price-points. Regardless, the Saturday dinner will be a pre-pay event, once venues and pricing are finalized.

Sunday - 9am start (7:30 am registration opens) - Breast Cancer Network of Strength walk-a-thon ... Join the United Team Dulles for a beautiful, short 3 mile walk early Sunday in support of the cause. More information on how to register coming soon

Sunday BRUNCH @ 11:30 am - Harry's Tap Room in Clarendon, VA - just over a block from the Clarendon Metro Station (orange line). We'll help to coordinate rides for people interested in heading over to the Udvar Hazy Air & Space Museum near Dulles directly following brunch. Maybe to coordinate with dropping people at Dulles for flights afterwards. A deposit to hold your reserved spot will be requested, but the event itself is pay as you go, and your deposit will be put toward your portion of the bill. It's Mother's Day so this (and every other good) place will be packed!!

TRANSPORTATION - AIR
IAD - Washington Dulles Airport - from here, you can take the washington flyer bus to downtown. The Metro 5A bus to Rosslyn Metro and some downtown stops or a taxi to get to downtown.
DCA - Washington National Airport - this is the most convenient entry point as you can take metro from the airport downtown
BWI - Baltimore-Washington Airport - you can take a combination of bus/metro or Amtrak Train down to DC. Not the most convenient option
TRANSPORTATION - TRAIN
Union Station - for those coming in by train, arrival at Washington Union Station provides easy access to metro
TRANSPORTATION - BUSLast, from Philadelphia and NYC there are bus options that are inexpensive and good options for the budget-conscious traveler. These include MegaBus, Vamoose and Bolt.

NOTE: Rental cars are not recommended for anyone staying downtown. Parking downtown can be a hassle, and hotels charge a lot to use their lots. DC now has metered parking in effect until 10 pm every day except Sunday.

HOTELS: Name a chain, it's here somewhere. As far as locations go, other than downtown DC the close-in VA suburbs are a great option with easy metro access to downtown. That includes Rosslyn, Crystal City, Pentagon City and Arlington. In MD, there is also Bethesda which is on the very convenient Red Line.

Are you interested? Let us know.

Last edited by GoingAway; May 9, 2010 at 7:32 pm Reason: edited for those that don't get it
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PHOTO SITES

Ski's Capital Do Pictures
Ski's IAD Tour Pictures
Ski's U-H Museum Pics from Sunday
Ski's Breast Cancer Walk Pics

unhBuzzard's first set of pictures - More on the website http://www.ft-dc.com/
uva185's awesome pictures

GAs UA IAD Tour Pics
GAs Friday Dinner Pics from Cap City
GAs Hillwood Pics
GAs Pics from Saturday Night at Zengo

JenGal's Pics

lili's Pictures

gvdIADs Pics

Registration is now CLOSED

Last edited by GoingAway; May 11, 2010 at 11:37 am Reason: Registration is now closed!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

These folks have registered for the Do (literally in no particular order ):

GoingAway
gvdIAD
ConditionOne
seeya
dragonfirebcn
cova
monitor
stellertony
prospero
flugvergnugen
Mrs. Cholula
peteropny
JenGal
mhnadel
lili
jan_az
grizshel
Dorlee
fsa_ea
RestlessinRNO
Cann75innj
Itsaboutthejourney
mpc1
erdehoff
usa18dca
fungirl
dlnewbie
global_hi_flyer
Pranu
SkiAdcock
theZipper
UNHBuzzard
Frenchie Flyer
foady
uva185
heffa
DCA Writer
mileageaddict
suzy1K
tazi
jockdAAddy
eap
holtju2
tonywestsider
DCBob
USIrritated

Last edited by GoingAway; May 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm Reason: Final Registration Listing
Old Oct 27, 2009, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Count me in as a definite maybe. When I was in DC a couple of years ago for the Freddies/Do afterwards I realized I've never been to DC other than bizness & hadn't seen anything, so a chance to hit a musuem or two & see FTers sounds great!

Cheers.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
You want me to plan more than 6 months in advance? It's hard enough to make the regular HH.

Anyway, go ahead and put me down as a maybe. Will firm up as we get closer. I'll probably skip Hillwood. Assuming that schedule works, I'll offer up space in my vehicle if Udvar-Hazy happens.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I actually might make this.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I've put the date down, I will try to figure out how to be in DC for work on that Friday. But it's likely that I'd have to leave Saturday afternoon.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Put us (me+1) down as possibles - this is especially interesting with the Hillwood Museum
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Of course we will try to make this one. It helps that we can trip into DC anytime that we really need to do so. And a DC-Do like this may very well create the need. I request that GoingAway mark us down as probables.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a heads up: Hillwood will likely be reserved for the drivers and out of town guests. gvdIAD can be tapped another time to set up an opportunity for the locals to do a similar visit.

Welcome everyone! I started compiling a list in the second post, we'll see how long my alphabetizing skills can last

@tazi - you are expected to attend and know well in advance to manage work schedules, if applicable
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a maybe - my birthday is 5/5 & I was in DC for it last year, so I may go home this year as well - but then again, I may have a mid-life crisis & jet set somewhere more exotic as well!
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:00 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I'm sure I'll be able to attend some of the events. Put me on the "YES!" list.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Please put me and a +1 as very interested!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I can probably make at least parts of this and can likely help driving people out to the Dulles area, especially if they can get to the Vienna metro on their own.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
By the way, that weekend is likely when one of the embassy open house events would be (based on what they've done the past two years). There's usually one for the EU embassies and one for other embassies a week or two later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.