Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

After heated/unpleasant discussions on FT, how do you interact at a DO in person?

After heated/unpleasant discussions on FT, how do you interact at a DO in person?

Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
One of the FTers here upsets a LOT of people but he is one of my many favorite FTers.

I have a short memory so I really don't hold a grudge if someone upsets me...especially online where things often get misunderstood.

I have met hundreds of FTers maybe close to 700 or so over the years. Everyone is nice...maybe they would never be my best friend but I enjoy talking to them all.

Just one thing I don't like about DO's is that some people 3 hours later are still talking about miles and points. I get a bit bored with that. I just want to talk about normal stuff after a while.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by wingless

Just one thing I don't like about DO's is that some people 3 hours later are still talking about miles and points. I get a bit bored with that. I just want to talk about normal stuff after a while.

For an airline employee, what else is there to talk about
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:35 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

As has been noted here, it's the old Las Vegas axion, "What happens in FlyerTalk, stays in FlyerTalk" and you begin a Do with an open mind and an open dialogue. I've sat next to members at some of these Do's whom I have suspended in the past and came away nothing less than better respect for each. Two of my absolute favorite stories involved ozstamps and CameraGuy, both of whom I'm huge fans of, but yet had stumbled starts with. Not sure if it was more difficult for them or for me when we first met face-to-face at some member event, but I do know I was better for it.

Now, the real test of this would be if we ever have a "reunion" of sorts for an "RV DO" for select members of OMNI! Frankly, I'd pick the tab up and just know that again, we'd all be better for it.

I echo all our members in suggesting you get out to meet our fellow members at these events and you'll find as others have that it can go a long way toward a better online experience for you with FlyerTalk.

P.S. Non-NonRev: How can I help get you out to one and I'll work very hard to make you feel comfortable among others. wingless: OK, let's call for a "No Miles DO" and talk about all the great times we've had as members when not in our pursuit of miles. Heck, the chocolate exchanges and tennis matches are things of lore!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by izzik
On the flipside, I have met plenty of FTers who were certifiable nutjobs both online and in person.

So.. as you can see, YMMV.
And some people that you expect to be witty, intelligent and thoughtful people can really end up being the exact opposite! The Delta DO was a surprising mix of people, professions and walks of life, many people with some of the most bombastic online persona's were the same... others were the exact opposite.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
wingless: OK, let's call for a "No Miles DO" and talk about all the great times we've had as members when not in our pursuit of miles. Heck, the chocolate exchanges and tennis matches are things of lore!

Ahhh...good times at the PIP!

That was the best DO ever.

If only we could pull that one off again.

OPPS! This is wingless on auh2o laptop. Don't tell him I am posting under his name.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham
And some people that you expect to be witty, intelligent and thoughtful people can really end up being the exact opposite! The Delta DO was a surprising mix of people, professions and walks of life, many people with some of the most bombastic online persona's were the same... others were the exact opposite.
True...but I can tolerate anyone in small doses.

I actually don't fit in to the whole Flyertalk thing because I don't care about earning miles and points. I leave that up to my husband. I just like spending them.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
And to be frank, we need some people who don't like to talk miles and points exclusively at dos just to keep the conversation interesting - and to give someone for the +1s to talk to so they don't think we are all just geeky nerds
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
And to be frank, we need some people who don't like to talk miles and points exclusively at dos just to keep the conversation interesting - and to give someone for the +1s to talk to so they don't think we are all just geeky nerds
Glad to help the +1's. I always find those people that look out of place and bored and talk to them. You guys are fine on your own.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I echo that last sentiment. I'm an FTer but I also get bored with miles discussion... and my wife, who usually accompanies me, is often bleeding from the ears after about 5 minutes of such talk.

I actually totally support a "no miles talk" DO... after all, we're on FT for mileage talk, there's no much point in a DO if we'll just talk about the exact same stuff!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by cepheid
I echo that last sentiment. I'm an FTer but I also get bored with miles discussion... and my wife, who usually accompanies me, is often bleeding from the ears after about 5 minutes of such talk.

I actually totally support a "no miles talk" DO... after all, we're on FT for mileage talk, there's no much point in a DO if we'll just talk about the exact same stuff!

Again all of this goes back to my post. As a airline employee(non rev 99.99%of time) what else is there for me to talk about but normal stuff Again I've only been able to make a couple small dinners but I've meet the greatest people & folks who contact me when passing through.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
I've never had a bad experience at the few Do's I've been to so far. And I've never really had any "major" disagreements with anyone on here... with the exception of most of the mods

I'll attend any Do I can, and I strongly encourage other FTers to as well. It's great to put faces to names and meet some very cool people. (And ok, you might run into one or two who might not be so cool, like me.. - but there's no real harm done is there.)
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone discusses politics at dos.
I've been to dozens and dozens of FT get-togethers, large and small, over the last 8+ years, and I believe you have also!

I actually CAN recall one time when I sat across from someone (whom I had not met before and whose FT handle I didn't recognize) who talked politics early on in the event, and whom I found most annoying.... this individual was quite arrogant, reductive, etc. (and of course held different opinions from mine ).

So yes, political discussion does happen occasionally, but I think it's best to avoid it, unless you already know the person you're chatting with (in person and/or online) and have a good idea of where the boundaries are.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I've seen people post who I thought were pompous A-holes *cough*fred*cough* who turned out to be really good friends.
ROTFLMAO..

I hope you've gotten over your cold *cough*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.