Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by quietdesperation
I know I'm late to this, but I'm a passive investor using etfs and mutual funds. I moved some cash to citi and invested in an etf,...
Did you have to call in to open an account? I poked around the Citi site, and although they mention self-directed investing, I can't find any way to open a self-directed investment account online. I am hesitant to call as I don't want an Advisor-based account.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by garykung
Apparently, Citi's system is so broken that basically whenever you have ever become a Citigold/Citi Priority customer and have the $100 AF reduction applied to the Citi Prestige card, you will get the $100 off "permanently".
For years I have had my AA $95 fee waived for the 2 cards that I had (Amex no longer available). I no longer hold Gold, downgraded to Priority, and just got $95 fee, so that is the end for me.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by hi-guy
Did you have to call in to open an account? I poked around the Citi site, and although they mention self-directed investing, I can't find any way to open a self-directed investment account online. I am hesitant to call as I don't want an Advisor-based account.
I walked into a branch and they set me up. Actually, I was there for some reason or another, got to talking with a personal banker, and she set me up. my account is totally self-directed.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by hi-guy
It has to be opened in-person.

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
For years I have had my AA $95 fee waived for the 2 cards that I had (Amex no longer available). I no longer hold Gold, downgraded to Priority, and just got $95 fee, so that is the end for me.
FWIW - that is different from Citi Prestige.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
That's really interesting. I too have had my $95 AA card waived for years as gold. Was downgraded to Priority as well - no annual fee has hit as of yet. If it does I'll have to consider cancelling the card. But I may keep it.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
It has to be opened in-person.

FWIW - that is different from Citi Prestige.
I also had the $100 annual fee waiver for Prestige, first year, I cancelled before 2nd year $350 hit. I was still Gold then. Pointless now since I no longer have Prestige and am not Gold.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by quietdesperation
I walked into a branch and they set me up. Actually, I was there for some reason or another, got to talking with a personal banker, and she set me up. my account is totally self-directed.
Can any banker set it up?

I had gone in today to a branch to complete opening my account package (finally US Trust transferred my holdings after 5 months ) and I was interested in setting up a self-directed account so that I could consolidate my MerrillEdge, Wells Fargo Advisors and E*Trade accounts into one place. However, the banker informed me that I need to go through my Private Bank rep to set that up. In fact, she mentioned to me that if I wanted to open another savings account, I would have to go through them as well.

Also, just to confirm, the Citigold Savings account and the Citigold MMA are the same thing? Because I thought I had opened a money market account, but when I went in to complete the paperwork, it showed Citigold Savings account.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fgirard
Can any banker set it up?
No. IIRC - all Citibank bankers have Series 7. But only designated CPWM personnel can set that up.

However, the banker informed me that I need to go through my Private Bank rep to set that up. In fact, she mentioned to me that if I wanted to open another savings account, I would have to go through them as well.
It could be segmentation. But I doubt that is the case.

I believe the banker is simply lazy.

Also, just to confirm, the Citigold Savings account and the Citigold MMA are the same thing? Because I thought I had opened a money market account, but when I went in to complete the paperwork, it showed Citigold Savings account.
They are not the same.

In theory, MMA comes with check-writing capacity but not for saving.

IIRC - Citibank's MMA does come with checks.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
No. IIRC - all Citibank bankers have Series 7. But only designated CPWM personnel can set that up.

It could be segmentation. But I doubt that is the case.

I believe the banker is simply lazy.

They are not the same.

In theory, MMA comes with check-writing capacity but not for saving.

IIRC - Citibank's MMA does come with checks.
I experienced segmentation at both Bank of America and Wells Fargo, and it was highly frustrating because I couldn't just go in and do simple transactions.

It sounded like she was just doing me a courtesy because she continued to be on the phone with someone.

That's what I had thought, but she was correcting me and telling me that they are the same, even though they had two different lines on the rate sheet.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:59 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Has anyone heard of any TY point offers recently for upgrading Citi Priority to CitiGold?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Anyone else see a banner in their mobile app about a "free upgrade" to Citigold? It came up twice this week, but no details on what the offer is or why it's free. I'm a Citi Priority member and temporarily have $100+k in my accounts (being transferred elsewhere), but that's still less than the $200k requirement...

Last edited by SpeedRicer; Dec 9, 2017 at 1:22 am
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Anyone else see a banner in their mobile app about a "free upgrade" to Citigold? It came up twice this week, but no details on what the offer is or why it's free. I'm a Citi Priority member and temporarily have $100+k in my accounts (being transferred elsewhere), but that's still less than the $200k requirement...
Probably just one of those stupid things Citi does. Like when they want me to call in to activate Apple Pay and then give me the run around about how they can't verify my phone number, but Android Pay is a whole different story that doesn't even require any security hoops to activate.

In my many years with Citi, I've learned: 1) Their CC front line reps don't know anything. 2) Their website is ugly and stinks. 3) They pretend to offer WEMC's but don't actually offer any of the benefits to it.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
In my many years with Citi, I've learned: 1) Their CC front line reps don't know anything. 2) Their website is ugly and stinks. 3) They pretend to offer WEMC's but don't actually offer any of the benefits to it.
Let me make this simple for you - Citi knows nothing.
mikesyr18 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer

Where did you see this, *what page? I tried to find but didn't see. Did you click on it to enroll?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Where did you see this, *what page? I tried to find but didn't see. Did you click on it to enroll?
It is not worth upgrading, unless it has a TY bonus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.