Wiki Posts
Search

ThankYou Points - Best Use

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 6:27 am
Original Poster

ThankYou Points - Best Use

I'm up over 200K Thank You points.

I see that fixed point redemptions are apparently gone, but are there still any "unique" ways to redeem points for travel that get you more than $.01 per point?

Mainly, I'd be looking to redeem for airfare in the $400 range (4 tickets).
Old May 17, 2009, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not aware of any special tricks, but given the fact that they're handing out points like candy these days 1 cent per point isn't so bad. I've been using mine to flights and hotels on Expedia in cases where Expedia is price competitive (flights most of the time and hotels when I don't feel like gambling on Priceline/Hotwire).
Old May 18, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I cashed mine out for Sears gift cards. It is about the only gift card I can use that gives $100 for 10K points. Since they can be used at Kmart too, they are good for groceries, garden supplies, tools, household stuff - pretty much anything I might need.

With all of the new rules Citi keeps putting in like "if you forget to cover your mouth when sneezing, you will lose your points", I don't want to build a large balance.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:23 pm

every 10k I redeem them for a $100 gift card
Old May 18, 2009, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I redeem every 2500 points I get these days for a $25 student loan rebate
Old May 19, 2009, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by jwalkabout
I've been doing that too. I really miss Amazon.com gift cards. Now I have to decide which one I want for that time.
Old May 20, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
$100 gift cards or flights/hotels with Expedia are the best redemption options for now.

I miss Amazon.com as well .
Old May 28, 2009, 2:59 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by lexluthor
I'm up over 200K Thank You points.
It looks like I'm maxed out already this year on the PPE card. With all the TYP threads I've read, I don't recall seeing a solution to this... If one is opening a new TYP cc, would the solution be just not to merge the new account with the primary TYP account?
Old May 28, 2009, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by LGA
It looks like I'm maxed out already this year on the PPE card. With all the TYP threads I've read, I don't recall seeing a solution to this... If one is opening a new TYP cc, would the solution be just not to merge the new account with the primary TYP account?
TYP cap is per your credit card account and it does not matter if you combine your TYP accounts or not.
Old May 28, 2009, 9:01 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
TYP cap is per your credit card account and it does not matter if you combine your TYP accounts or not.
Thanks. I was kind of gathering that when perusing the Ts & Cs... Too bad the PPE retention offer + flight points game will be over! I'll miss that 10% return...
Old May 29, 2009, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by LGA
I am in a similar situation. One solution could be to convert the PPE card to non-TY card and then convert it back to PPE card. That may start it from zero. Not sure if it will work but worth the try. If anybody has tried it, can s/he please share the experience. Thanks.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by gv111
I am in a similar situation. One solution could be to convert the PPE card to non-TY card and then convert it back to PPE card. That may start it from zero. Not sure if it will work but worth the try. If anybody has tried it, can s/he please share the experience. Thanks.

I wonder if that solution is a good idea with their new system. I believe one of the changes is if you drop your card, you lose the points associated with that card.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by virmaior
I wonder if that solution is a good idea with their new system. I believe one of the changes is if you drop your card, you lose the points associated with that card.
Not a problem for me. I have already redeemed all my points for Student loan rebate .
Old May 29, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by jwalkabout
this sounds right ...I redeem them now when I hit the 10K pt range, as this is the best deal I can find on that site

those bast@rdos at TYN took out the Home depot $100 gift cards and only issue the $50 cards at 6000pts a pop.....
Old May 30, 2009, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by gv111
Not a problem for me. I have already redeemed all my points for Student loan rebate .
Yep, just cashed out and sent Sallie Mae a $1300 check. I'm done w/ TY points. Focusing on using my PenFed and Associated Bank cash back cards now. Keeping the Chairman card basically just for booking flights, Priority Pass and Hilton Gold. So glad I didn't upgrade to the Amex version and the higher annual fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.