Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Forward (5X categories changed to 2X June, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Update - March 28, 2016: Confirmed that Citi is changing this card from 5x to 2x on the restaurant, fast food, and bookstore (inc. Amazon) categories.

Letter sent to cardholders:

Should I cancel my Forward card? What happens if I do?
Closing a Forward card, or any card that earns TYP, triggers a 60-day expiration clock on TYP earned with that card. (See Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations.) As long as the Forward card has no annual fee, there is little downside to keeping it open.
Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ROP

Does this sound familiar? Citi MTVu?

There are two versions of this card, one standalone and the other cobranded with myspace.

Both Cards:
  • Visa
  • No Student Requirement
  • Quarter percent purchase APR reduction when making a purchase, staying under the credit line and paying on time three billing periods in a row
  • 100 ThankYou Points each billing period for paying on time and staying under the credit line
  • 5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on restaurants, books, music and movies
  • 1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on other purchases
  • 0% APR on both purchases and balance transfers for 6 months (though balance transfers do incur a 3% uncapped fee, min $5) (Not sure if this is for both or just the generic version)

Generic Version:
  • 6,000 bonus ThankYou points after spending $50 in 3 months
  • 5,000 bonus ThankYou points when you sign up for paperless statements within 3 months

MySpace Version:
  • Citi Forward by MySpace: 100 ThankYou Points for completing each chosen socially responsible act

The myspace version looks really bad, without even taking into account having to carry around a card that says myspace on it. The site is giving instant approvals, though signing up for e-statements during approval may force registration of a new citicards.com account. I wasn't able to have it take my existing login.

This could be a good card for these that dines out frequently or buys lots of stuff from amazon. I know, no miles, and TYP aren't what they used to be, but I think 5% TYP makes up for some of that.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
so you can get 11k TYP right out of the box.....
and $1 a month for 'being good'.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Interesting card, but, what really is a TYP worth these days? You can't redeem them to cash at 1 cpm, perhaps the only thing that you can get 1 cpm is for flights now -- and way down from the previous 2 or 3. So, I really argue if it's a 5% card.

For the restaurants I could be interested in getting this. But, I'm not going to waste one of my every 60 day applications to get this, as churning the AAdvantage card(s) still reign supreme IMO.

Now... one other thing... what is a chosen socially responsible act?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:33 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Now... one other thing... what is a chosen socially responsible act?
This month: calling your elected officials and expressing a favorable opinion of bailing out Citi.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:50 pm

Too bad I already have an MTVu card.
The only real difference is that this card gets an extra 75TYP per month for paying on time; and also no good grades TYP option.

This card DOES look a lot nicer though.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Interesting card, but, what really is a TYP worth these days? You can't redeem them to cash at 1 cpm, perhaps the only thing that you can get 1 cpm is for flights now -- and way down from the previous 2 or 3. So, I really argue if it's a 5% card.

For the restaurants I could be interested in getting this. But, I'm not going to waste one of my every 60 day applications to get this, as churning the AAdvantage card(s) still reign supreme IMO.
Right. I'm a little annoyed at losing the extra restaurant points from my Hilton AMEX, so I'm interested in a restaurant card. But when I do the math, I'm probably better off not "wasting" an application on this one, even though the offer is pretty attractive.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Citi Forward Visa 5 TYP For Restaurants

I just came across the Citi Forward Visa. They are offering 5 TYPs for purchases at restaurants, book stores, movies, and music. You also get 5,000 points for signing up and 6,000 after $50 in purchases. I spend a lot of money at restaurants and am using the Citi Premier Pass card to pay, which only gets me 2 TYPs (1 purchase point & 1 flight point transferred). I know the HHonors AMEX recently discontinued their restaurant bonus. Is this the best card available for restaurant purchases?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:03 am

YES! I've been a huge advocate of this card (in its prior incarnation, the mtvU Thankyou card). I actually get more TY points per month than I get with the PPE card, even taking into account how often I fly (twice a week). I eat out virtually every day because of my job, so I end up spending more on restaurants than anything else, even flights. It's the best card I've ever owned and no heavy traveler/restaurant maven should go without it.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:01 pm

There was already another thread posted here a few days ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ies-music.html

Also, the Citi MTVu card was not the prior incarnation of this card. The MTVu card still exists, and you can still apply for it. Only main difference is that MTVu is for students and you can get TYP for sending in grades. You also get 75 more points per month my paying you bill on time for the Forward card.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: ROP
TY network has a student loan cashout option that would yield the full 5%. Useful for these with student loans.

Not sure how they can ensure that the check goes only to a student loan and not any other kind of loan though.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:51 am

Citi Forward TYP good for travel?

Some credit card ads say TYP can be redeemed for gift cards, etc. while some say they can be redeemed for travel miles.
I thought all TY points could be redeemed for travel miles regardless of which card you used?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:54 am

I just converted my Citi MTVu card to this one and I'm not sure if the bonus points are only for new card members ? I didn't want to apply for a new account since I have some new inquiries on my reports. At least I'll gain 75 points per month just for paying the bill on time. Great card for eating out.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
TY network has a student loan cashout option that would yield the full 5%. Useful for these with student loans.

Not sure how they can ensure that the check goes only to a student loan and not any other kind of loan though.
That's what I use them for, and since they send you the check, I don't see how either
Old Mar 28, 2009, 4:58 pm

Anyone know if Amazon.com falls into the 5 TYP category for this card? Thanks
Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by cardtracker
Anyone know if Amazon.com falls into the 5 TYP category for this card? Thanks
The mtvU card DOES include purchases from Amazon.com (although I believe not third parties through Amazon). Can't be sure but given how closely it resembles the mtvU card I'd say pretty good bet that it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.