Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
My friend just got lucky.
This is why you should figure out what you want and ask for those specific flights if at all possible.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
In my personal experience, I actually paid less up front taxes for international travel when booking with US carriers such as DL and CO (and flying on their metal NOT codeshares). For example, last year in November I booked CO to the Middle East and paid approx. $70 in taxes. I actually used that ticket, but anyone could have just as well done this deal with the exact same itinerary and only paid $70 up front - with domestic travel you have to pay the 7.5% excise tax which puts your up front expenses at over $200. I can give you a number of examples of international travel tickets I've booked where the taxes were quite reasonable. But, the point is to avoid foreign carriers and stick with CO, DL, AA, or UA as cited in the first post. Thus, you can also redeem 180k, 200k, or 240k and receive a voucher successfully.
See Post No.88 you will see WHY redeeming an International ticket is not the best of idea, even with a US carrier. In this case, it is United - an international ticket credit can ONLY be used to buy another international ticket.

Exerpt from Post 88 which the OP found the rules on United website:

* International tickets are valid for international destination only, and travel must begin within one year of the original ticket date. A fully unused international ticket may be upgraded to a higher fare. If you exchange your international ticket for domestic travel, all travel must be on United and the value of the ticket for travel within the U.S. must be of equal or of greater value.

In other words, you would NOT get any residual value from it - you either have to travel to International destination with a HIGHER fare, or you use the whole value all up on a domestic ticket on United metals only.

This totally defeats the motion of rushing to do the TYP redemption because you want to turn it into airline cash.

So why not make things much simpler and easier, on the most try and true option?!

There are many reasons why the 90K option is the chosen-one by many who have done that for this Valuation Extraction purpose!

Personally I do not see paying a higher upfront cost is any issue - the amount is included in the ticket value getting back, so it is not like you "lose" that payment. But some folks may see it differently, that a couple hundreds upfront is a big deal.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 7, 2009 at 4:49 pm
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Happy
See Post No.88 you will see WHY redeeming an International ticket is not the best of idea, even with a US carrier. In this case, it is United - an international ticket credit can ONLY be used to buy another international ticket.
Those UA restrictions are the tightest I've seen.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Those UA restrictions are the tightest I've seen.
No kidding. Kudo to the OP for the UA rules - he wanted to redeem UA ticket but wanted to make sure that would work - and now he found out UA is probably NOT the way to go.

People really need to do the homework themselves on their targeted airlines and make sure things would turn out as planned. Airlines rules are all airline-specific, cannot be generalized at all.

Now we see even with US carriers, redeeming an International ticket can be a risky proposal.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Just updated the OP.

My DL info seems lacking as compared to the number of people it seems are using DL for redemptions. Any more info on their usual change fees, vouchers (specifically expiration dates), etc?

+1 on the request for a real Wiki for everyone to edit. I'll do my best to update (probably only once a week or so).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:44 pm

UA

Thanks OP. This thread has been of great help to everyone, every post has something new to watch out for.

In case of UA, i am unable to find an answer to this:

If i book a UA business class domestic ticket using typ, Can i later cancel it and rebook an international flight using the credit/voucher?

Technically, the original itenary is for domestic travel and future modified itenary should also be domestic, anyone redeemed domestic voucher for international flights on UA?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm totally guessing, but shouldn't International travel be fine when we're talking about residual credit? Maybe it might not work for original change, but once you have the Magic Voucher in hand, I can't imagine why you can't use it for anything. Unless code-share flights become a problem.

But I hope someone can say for sure. My dream scenerio is to re-book a domestic itinerary for me, then use the residual for an International flight for me and DH.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
120k?

Has anyone had any luck finding and booking tickets using the 120k TYP award? I do not believe I have seen a single mention of this here. Do they exist? If yes, any pointers appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:13 pm

what about AA for voucher

So i see the restrictions on UA and intl itineraries. So it seems that UA is not ideal for fixed flight, but what about AA?

Obviously, it seems to be better to get a bigger single ticket than two tickets from a $150 change fee perspective but if its a prohibitive ticket then it doesnt make sense.

How about hawaii at 140k typ does that count as a US destination?

Im looking to redeem 120-140k typ ideally on AA for a bigger ticket. Just starting all my research.

Thanks to all the pros helping us neophytes out.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:40 pm

With Delta, do fares between the US and Canada incur a higher change fee because it's an international ticket?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Happy

Exerpt from Post 88 which the OP found the rules on United website:

* International tickets are valid for international destination only, and travel must begin within one year of the original ticket date. A fully unused international ticket may be upgraded to a higher fare. If you exchange your international ticket for domestic travel, all travel must be on United and the value of the ticket for travel within the U.S. must be of equal or of greater value.

In other words, you would NOT get any residual value from it - you either have to travel to International destination with a HIGHER fare, or you use the whole value all up on a domestic ticket on United metals only.

This totally defeats the motion of rushing to do the TYP redemption because you want to turn it into airline cash.

So why not make things much simpler and easier, on the most try and true option?!

There are many reasons why the 90K option is the chosen-one by many who have done that for this Valuation Extraction purpose!

Personally I do not see paying a higher upfront cost is any issue - the amount is included in the ticket value getting back, so it is not like you "lose" that payment. But some folks may see it differently, that a couple hundreds upfront is a big deal.
I agree w/ xyzzy that UA has extremely restrictive rules. If you notice I cited CO or DL in my post as I have zero experience w/ UA. I think that in all my years of travel I probably never even travelled on UA metal (although I did travel w/ AC on a UA codeshare itinerary).

I only mentioned the upfront cost since you mentioned it as a reason to stay away from international tickets. Of course, we all know that the $ is included in the voucher you get back, so truthfully it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Some people might who have large amount of pts. might actually find it easier to find non-refundable fares to Europe or Asia on their targeted airline, as many people have posted difficulty finding non-refundable fares w/in the domestic USA or Canada.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
This is why you should figure out what you want and ask for those specific flights if at all possible.
I agree.

But my friend did request those flights, as I told her to, as I thought all DL and NW metal would equate to a DL voucher. The CO codeshare threw the whole thing off.

I will spend the time to find all DL metal with no codeshare in the future.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:04 pm

Another reason not to do this on DL intl.
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/refun....jsp#no_travel

"I have a non-refundable ticket and will not be traveling. Can I obtain a refund?

No, however, effective August 21, 2003, if you're holding a nonrefundable ticket that allows changes, and travel is scheduled on or after August 21, 2003, you have one year from the ticket's original issue date to reschedule your travel without losing the full value of the ticket (less any applicable change fees).

* For domestic travel, tickets must be reissued and travel completed within one year of the original ticket date.
* For international travel, tickets must be reissued to the same or another international destination, and travel must begin within one year of the original ticket date.

Exception: The death of the passenger, immediate family member, or traveling companion. In this case, you will be required to forward a copy of the death certificate to the Passenger Refunds Department mailing address."
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:40 am

Does anyone see an inherent flaw in flying out of ANC on CO?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Use credit from canceled domestic DL ticket for intl. DL flight?

Has anyone seen or experienced anything that would suggest that you couldn't use credit from a canceled DL ticket for international travel on DL? Clearly the rules posted above from DL's website indicate that credit from international tickets must be used for international travel. I assume that credit from a domestic ticket could be used for either. Anyone try this yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.