Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by chicagonick
has anyone tried going over the $1800 cap by a few dollars? i found a great route that is just over by $3... is it possible to pay this small difference?
Tonight, I was told by the travel center that going over by even $0.01 will cost me 5,000 points (for each $50 over the max).

Remember though that they ask you to pay the 7.5% excise tax, so your $1,800 might come in lower than that after they subract the 7.5%, which you are expected to pay out-of-pocket.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: NWA worldperks
oh i will have only 12 points left after i finally settle on an itinerary
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Happy
Subsequent bookings though, were all done online and no extra fee involved. CO also does not offer BOB in flight, so there is no way to generate more flight pts from subsequent bookings.
Here is a possible way. Use your voucher to book a refundable ticket for a little lower value than the ticket you really want (lots of cheap refundable fares on SWA routes in Texas/other places). After a few days, change it to what you really want and pay the difference via your PPE card.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrizShel
This is sort of urgent. I think I'm ok on this ticket, but since I have never done this before, I'd like to hear from experienced fixed point redeemers.

I just booked a 90k business class ticket, JFK - YEG on Delta for December 23.
For those of you that are experiencing dong Delta redemptions:
All flights are Delta flight numbers, but some are Delta codeshares of what are currently NW flights. Is there any risk to this to be reduced to the more restrictive NW voucher rules at the time I would cancel and rebook?

I think I can change this without penalty within 24 hours of booking if there would be a problem.
If the ticket is in DL stock (I assume it is), then you get DL voucher.

If you cancel the ticket within 24hr, your ticket value may go back to TYN and you would have to wait for TYN receiving the refund on their credit card, before TYN would refund your 90K pts, and that would probably be after Feb 28.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 14, 2009 at 8:52 pm
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyer737
Here is a possible way. Use your voucher to book a refundable ticket for a little lower value than the ticket you really want (lots of cheap refundable fares on SWA routes in Texas/other places). After a few days, change it to what you really want and pay the difference via your PPE card.
I am not sure credit from non-refundable ticket can be used to book refundable fares?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sy7
I posted earlier in this thread about CO redemptions that would work. EWR-YVR for pretty much any date gives you a refundable ticket (so no change fee) for ~$1750 + $200 taxes. You will need to call up CO to change the ticket and request the remaining value to be put on an e-cert which will be valid for one year. Others have posted about workarounds to extend the date validity of the e-cert (basically you need to purchase a refundable ticket slightly more than the value of the ecert, and then cancel, which will result in a brand new ecert with an additional years validity being issued).

SFO-YYZ gives you a non-refundable ticket ~$1790 + $200 in taxes (you have to play around with dates to get this price).
The refundable to lower value new tkt with e-cert balance is a hit or miss thing. Personally, I would not try to save $150 and then risk having the SNAFU which did happen.

I have known an actual case that the e-cert balance although was requested, and confirmed by the CO rep on the phone, it did NOT happen. The balance of value went back to TYN credit card. The person who got burnt on this, had to call TYN to sort that out, and waited for the partial refund of his TYPs which amounted to 50K. He finally got a call from TYN on Friday that TYN rec'd credit from CO, and his 50K pts would be refunded to his account shortly. He hasn't seen the 50K yet.

To extend the date of e-cert, all you need is to take advantage of CO's 24hour full refund policy - you need to call in to cancel and the web support will then notate the ticket that no change fee would apply. So when you book against the cancelled ticket next time, there would be no change fee. And if there is residual value from that, a new e-cert is generated with new date. The regular rep cannot handle it when it is booked with e-cert. S/He would transfer you to web support agent for handling.

I am not sure e-cert resulted from cancellation of NON-refundable can be used to book refundable. As it is clearly stated in Fare Rules that credit from non-refundable cannot be used to book refundable, at least for the initial booking. Dont know about subsequent bookings though. May be the system can only keep track for the initial usage of the value.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gv111
Do you know if it might work in following situation with other airlines (say AA)? I book a refundable ticket and pay with Citi card. Then I call up airline and change date which should result in a new ticket #. Then cancel and request a refund which should result in a refund with a different ticket #. Please let me know (PM is fine). Thanks.
Change date on a refundable ticket does not result in new ticket number. One of the benefit of refundable ticket is you can travel anytime you want, regardless when are the dates on the ticket.

Only routing change would result new ticket number.

FWIW, for any meaningful mileage traveled on legacy airlines, you would need to shell out high $ initially. You may want to first check how much it is for a Transcon refunable on AA or any legacy airline.

Refund sometimes takes several weeks.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GrizShel
This is sort of urgent. I think I'm ok on this ticket, but since I have never done this before, I'd like to hear from experienced fixed point redeemers.

I just booked a 90k business class ticket, JFK - YEG on Delta for December 23.
For those of you that are experiencing dong Delta redemptions:
All flights are Delta flight numbers, but some are Delta codeshares of what are currently NW flights. Is there any risk to this to be reduced to the more restrictive NW voucher rules at the time I would cancel and rebook?

I think I can change this without penalty within 24 hours of booking if there would be a problem.
This has been discussed, you are probably ok but it is safest if at least the originating segment is on DL metal.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
If the ticket is in DL stock (I assume it is), then you get DL voucher.

If you cancel the ticket within 24hr, your ticket value may go back to TYN and you would have to wait for TYN receiving the refund on their credit card, before TYN would refund your 90K pts, and that would probably be after Feb 28.
Hey thanks Happy! I was kind of nervous, I thought this should work but I've never done anything like this before. I'm sure it must be Delta stock, the first flight is Delta metal and all of the flights are Delta or Delta codeshares with Northwest (which is in many respects the same airline already).

Makes me feel good to get in on this at least for the last round; even though when I recognize now how tremendous the value was for those in on this program in the early days.

They told me that if I had to cancel within 24 hours, if the airline approved the refund, then I could reuse the points immediately (but who knows if the agent really knew what they were talking about). But it sounds like I don't have to worry about that.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by psychtobe
This has been discussed, you are probably ok but it is safest if at least the originating segment is on DL metal.
Yes it is.

Exciting to get one of these done.

By the way, JFK-YWG works great right now for a Delta $2700 redemption!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Change date on a refundable ticket does not result in new ticket number. One of the benefit of refundable ticket is you can travel anytime you want, regardless when are the dates on the ticket.

Only routing change would result new ticket number.
I was just told by AA phone reservations that even a date change will result in a new ticket #. So I am not sure.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I am not sure e-cert resulted from cancellation of NON-refundable can be used to book refundable. As it is clearly stated in Fare Rules that credit from non-refundable cannot be used to book refundable, at least for the initial booking. Dont know about subsequent bookings though. May be the system can only keep track for the initial usage of the value.
From past experience you can use any CO voucher for any ticket available on their website - be it refundable or non-refundable. The voucher is used as a form of payment instead of a credit card, western union, etc. Therefore, you can use vouchers to pay for refundable fares.

Last edited by friedablass; Feb 14, 2009 at 11:34 pm
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
From past experience you can use any CO voucher for any ticket available on their website - be it refundable or non-refundable. The voucher is used as a form of payment instead of a credit card, western union, etc. Therefore, you can use vouchers to pay for refundable fares.
Great news.

I guess it means only the first rebooking must be non-refundable as the fare rules often stated such.

This makes me wonder if AA voucher works the same way? hmmm...
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
I know for a fact you can book NW flights. As long as the flights show up on Delta.com, or in the Delta Res system if you are calling, you should be able to use your voucher.

I really want to use the voucher for a NW flight, this flight does not show up on delta.com, but does show on its award ticket inventory (only that no award seats available at lower miles and that is why I am thinking about TYP). So, with the delta voucher that I get by TYP, will I be able to use it for such a NW flight? Have anyone had such an experience, greatly appreciate if you could share..
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Fold0rDie
I looked on both Expedia and AA's websites and the 'fare' comes out to $1,800+ plus the $20ish in taxes & fees. Does AA roll in the excise/other taxes into their calculations because a $21 tax on an $1800 fare seems too low.

Thx
Anyone know?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.